Parents Xcel to JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NoviceGymDad

Proud Parent
Hi, I’m new to gymnastics. My daughter is 9 years old and competing in XCEL Gold. She does very well. She’s also a competitive swimmer and plays competitive tennis. We’re not sure whether we should continue with Gymnastics. Since she’s not in JO, we don’t see a future for her. When she tried out for the JO team the director felt she wouldn’t be a good fit and recommended XCEL. Since then she has really taken off in XCEL, skipping bronze, 1 season in silver, and now in gold. She is an athlete but hesitates with new skills, though eventually she gets them and does them very well. Is it worth moving from gym to gym to find a coach who will take her on the jo team? Not sure why it is hard to get on a jo team, but this gym really separates XCEL and jo pathways. My daughter would gladly drop other things and just do gymnastics.
Thanks

I simply would ask you what does your daughter tell you she wants to do? You mentioned swimming and tennis. What sport does She love? Are you willing to support her in her decision, even if that decision is changing gyms dropping the other sports and pursuing gymnastics? My guess is you know what she wants and no one can tell you whats best or what sport she will go far in.

I like to tell my daughter to pursue the things she loves. When you pursue what you love you tend to give your all. Giving your all sometimes means you will be successful but it surely means you will enjoy your time trying.

If she's having fun where she is and enjoying competitions, then I would leave her where she is and let her continue doing a variety of activities. If she feels strongly that JO gymnastics is where she wants to be and is willing to give up other things to make that dream happen, then I would look for a program that will give her that opportunity. It absolutely has to come from her.

Yes, wondering if she is happy and thriving in Gold, why the need to seek out JO? I actually think Xcel is the perfect track for generally athletic kids who also like other sports, as they have the time to pursue these other interests. JO athletes, especially levels 5+, are in the gym a lot, and it tends to preclude them from most other competitive sports and activities (e.g. swim team).

Now, if you are saying that you don't like the way Xcel is treated in your existing gym, it makes sense to consider a move. In some gyms, JO and Xcel co-exist beautifully, but in others, Xcel is the red-headed stepchild.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing-wish I knew then what I know now with my dd. She told us she loved gym-so we encouraged her to stay in a very competitive JO program. Fast forward to her tween years, she was unhappy and has now, as a teen, given up gymnastics totally. Because her JO program was all or nothing-she gave up soccer, dance, and has had trouble making solid friendships at school. That is a big regret I have of gymnastics-lots of great gymnastics friends, but once you leave-they are too busy with long practices and meet seasons to hang out, and most school friends have developed through town sports (like soccer and softball) and school clubs, which your athlete had no time for. I can attest that Xcel is a great program-I think it she is thriving and enjoys it, let her keep competing with other sports so she can stay well-rounded and ward of injuries that seem so prevalent with one-sport training (especially upper level gymnastics).

A "future" in gymnastics isn't about Xcel or JO. The percentage of girls who get college scholarships or go to the elite level is infinitely small. The future is about the lessons she learns in her time in the sport. Can she get that from Xcel? Absolutely. Is Xcel enough for what SHE wants out of gymnastics? That's the question that needs to be answered.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing-wish I knew then what I know now with my dd. She told us she loved gym-so we encouraged her to stay in a very competitive JO program. Fast forward to her tween years, she was unhappy and has now, as a teen, given up gymnastics totally. Because her JO program was all or nothing-she gave up soccer, dance, and has had trouble making solid friendships at school. That is a big regret I have of gymnastics-lots of great gymnastics friends, but once you leave-they are too busy with long practices and meet seasons to hang out, and most school friends have developed through town sports (like soccer and softball) and school clubs, which your athlete had no time for. I can attest that Xcel is a great program-I think it she is thriving and enjoys it, let her keep competing with other sports so she can stay well-rounded and ward of injuries that seem so prevalent with one-sport training (especially upper level gymnastics).

Btw, we continue to get compliments on the bag you handed down! Both head coaches have noticed it and loved it.

I can offer a different perspective, having moved my DD from a close-to-home Xcel program to a new gym for JO. But first things first: Does you DD want to give up her other sports/activities to focus primarily on gymnastics? JO will likely require a time commitment that prevents her from devoting much time to tennis and swimming. Also, as others have said, I wouldn't worry about the "future". Realistically the vast majority of Xcel and JO gymnasts are pretty much headed for the same future (a life without gymnastics eventually). I have kids in other sports and certainly don't expect them to turn pro. My kids participate in sports because they enjoy them and are learning some life lessons along the way. Gymnastics is no different.

Now for my story -- My DD was at a gym (which sounds a bit like yours) with a distinct JO vs. Xcel path, and my DD was sent down the Xcel road. She wanted more, but we decided to give Xcel a try because the gym was so close to home and she had friends there. She competed a year of Bronze (age 7) and had a very successful season. However, that year of Xcel only increased my DD's commitment to gymnastics, and left her wanting more than Xcel could offer. So we checked out other gyms in our area and ultimately moved to a gym further from home so DD could compete JO. It has been a good change. She competed Level 4 (age 8) and is now competing Level 6 (age 9). I am glad we made the move because my DD is happy and receiving better gymnastics training. However, she has very realistic goals for the future -- right now the goal is Level 7.

Hi, I’m new to gymnastics. My daughter is 9 years old and competing in XCEL Gold. She does very well. She’s also a competitive swimmer and plays competitive tennis. We’re not sure whether we should continue with Gymnastics. Since she’s not in JO, we don’t see a future for her. When she tried out for the JO team the director felt she wouldn’t be a good fit and recommended XCEL. Since then she has really taken off in XCEL, skipping bronze, 1 season in silver, and now in gold. She is an athlete but hesitates with new skills, though eventually she gets them and does them very well. Is it worth moving from gym to gym to find a coach who will take her on the jo team? Not sure why it is hard to get on a jo team, but this gym really separates XCEL and jo pathways. My daughter would gladly drop other things and just do gymnastics.
Thanks
Based on the numbers, there really is no future in gymnastics for at least 99% of the girls who even make it to a team (JO / Xcel / IGC / AAU / TAFF / etc) past high school. There is College Club gymnastics (You can compete in this like any other club sport... equivalent to JO L6, JO L7, or JO L9 rules, so roughly Xcel Platinum or Diamond could compete well) that could be a "future." There is also NCAA and Elite... but there arent really a of spots in these (there aren't even enough spots for EVERYONE who makes it to JO L10 Nationals each year).
If she wants more and your gym is treating Xcel as a "red-headed stepchild," then you can look at other gyms. I, personally would only consider a new gym if they treated Xcel better... not a "lesser than" program to JO, but merely as an "alternative" program for girls who either dont have the time due to other activities / commitments OR dont want the intensity / costs of JO ... OR aren't ready for JO or are stuck in a compulsory level and want the excitement of their own routines. At a gym like this, you could have her try out and see where they would place her. Whether it be JO or Xcel, as long as the Xcel program is really good, she may be able to transition into JO later (either scoring out of L4 and L5 after competing Platinum OR petitioning into JO if she still wants it at 14 (which she may not want once she gets into Jr. High / High school when a lot of other opportunities open up).
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks, yes my daughter would drop everything for gymnastics. She read Laurie Hernandez's book, she watched Simone's movie, she really enjoys the sport. We try to enable our kids to go as far as they want to go in a sport. We start them early and we don't put up obstacles generally. We've been told by the coaches that Xcel is for fun, the JO path is more competitive, and to be able to go on to college, or further, requires the JO path. She also wants to relate to her idols, to experience level 4, level 5, and the JO path. The problem is that it seems difficult to get on a JO team, where it's more about fitting what they are looking for early on. I don't want to keep trying different gyms and have her evaluated over and over again. I also don't want to have to go far away from home, which may be likely since we live in a very competitive area with a lot of girls doing gymnastics. Xcel is also very expensive for not enabling her to go as far as she would like. We'll give a couple of gyms nearby a try and see if she can get on the JO team.

A red light for me is a gym that has preconceived ideas of what a gymnast should be. Find a JO program that is accepting of any body type yet has high expectations and demands hard work from its athletes while offering praise every day. If you find it your daughter will have at least have a chance to live her dream.

Thanks, yes my daughter would drop everything for gymnastics. She read Laurie Hernandez's book, she watched Simone's movie, she really enjoys the sport. We try to enable our kids to go as far as they want to go in a sport. We start them early and we don't put up obstacles generally. We've been told by the coaches that Xcel is for fun, the JO path is more competitive, and to be able to go on to college, or further, requires the JO path. She also wants to relate to her idols, to experience level 4, level 5, and the JO path. The problem is that it seems difficult to get on a JO team, where it's more about fitting what they are looking for early on. I don't want to keep trying different gyms and have her evaluated over and over again. I also don't want to have to go far away from home, which may be likely since we live in a very competitive area with a lot of girls doing gymnastics. Xcel is also very expensive for not enabling her to go as far as she would like. We'll give a couple of gyms nearby a try and see if she can get on the JO team.

My daughter moved from Xcel to JO at a competitive gym where that doesn't usually happen. I posted a number of questions about this topic before the move and found CB to be extremely helpful. From the moment my DD got onto the Xcel team she told me her next goal was JO. I assumed over time she'd give that idea up, but the desire only grew stronger. She was totally focused on improving and moving over to JO. She refused to ever miss practice, set up extra conditioning stations for herself at Xcel practice, and started improving at pretty rapid pace. She'd always done other sports and activities, but got to the point that gymnastics was the only thing she wanted to do.
I asked her multiple times and multiple ways why she wanted to do JO and her answer was always the same- she wanted more hours, and she wanted to work on skills at a faster pace. If it had just been that JO looked more important or glamorous somehow, or some reason I would have found less compelling, then I wouldn't have spoken to the coaches. She wanted the intensity of JO. And she absolutely loves it now. Tells me almost weekly how happy she is that she made the switch.
If your daughter (not you, because you want her to go as far as she can in a sport) really wants the intensity, and the hours, and the conditioning of JO, then go for it! It will definitely be more expensive, but it's worth it if she's driven to go down that path.

As others have said, if SHE really wants it, go for it! It's really not as hard to get on the JO team as you think. Yes, some gyms are very selective like yours, but there are a lot of gyms who are very accepting and inclusive. Maybe give a few a call and explain the situation before trying out if you are afraid of rejection.
My DD started at a gym like yours, where she was put on the Xcel path because she was "too old" (8). When I called another gym and told them about the age thing, the coach actually laughed and said it was silly to say that an 8 year old is "too old". We came for evaluation and they accepted her right away.

Thanks

Re bolded part. It is not hard to get on a JO team at all. I think what is "sabotaging" this switch is perhaps you tell the JO gyms/coaches that your daughter is a competitive swimmer and competitive tennis player. While making these statements makes your daughter appear multi talented to many, coaches may not see it this way. Many good gyms will put gymnasts in the program that they feel will provide the highest success. So even if you tell the coaches your daughter is willing to give up swimming and tennis, they may not be fully convinced especially if your daughter is still in the two other sports. Gymnastics requires a lot more commitment, time, money and effort than practically any sport. So if they suspect your daughter may be divided in her interest, they will put her in a program that will foster all her interests, sans JO. That said, what "future" did you have in mind for your daughter in gymnastics?

My daughter transitioned from xcel to JO. I originally wanted her in xcel because I wanted her to be able to experience many different activities and find what she loved the best. After competing bronze and silver it was very obvious she wanted more. So we researched other gyms in the area and we switched her to a gym that offered JO. She absolutely loves it and had a very successful first year of JO. Looking back, I wish I would have switched her sooner but I didn't know and I thought we were doing what was best for her at the time.

If your daughter truly wants to get on the JO path, this will most likely result in giving up a competitive swimming or tennis pathway. A level 4-5 trains, on average 15-18 hours per week (some a little lower, some 20-24 or even more in the high hours gyms). Level 7+ is probably 20-24 hours/week on average, which she could be at in a year or 2 if she is talented and in a decent program.

If that sounds awesome, then as others have said, there are definitely JO programs that are more accepting of a range of athletes. Sounds like you are in an area with a number of programs, so that is great. Many of us here have had our child try out at numerous gyms looking for a fit, so that would not be unusual at all. So many factors to consider. My daughter was rejected for JO at some gyms (she is quite tall, and not so young to be considered elite potential anymore, which was a key criteria for some places she tried), but she was accepted with open arms at a great gym that is perfect for her where she is thriving.

So if your DD wants gym to be her primary sport, and doesn't mind giving up the other sports at a competitive level, then do as much research as you can, visit lots of gyms, ask lots of questions, and have her try the ones that seem like the best fit. And I agree with above poster that noted if you approach coaches with the "multi sport" angle, they will undoubtedly point you back to Xcel. That is the great benefit of Xcel :)

Let me encourage you to try out at every place that you think is a possibility.

Think of it as a period of learning about the sport. You learn much more about the essence of gymnastics by seeing what several gyms do in common, and which ones have odd or unhealthyractices or manipulative cultural things going on. You will refine your opinions as a customer, your daughter will experience a variety of coaches, and refine her own opinion of what she likes and what pushes her to learn the most.

Your daughter will also get a lot of free gymnastics...and if you feel like you are using the gyms for all this, it is always fun for all the girls to have a visiting gymnast, they all tend to work harder that day, and the coaches sure don’t mind that.

Most of all, you feel very settled in your final decision at the end, and don’t second guess. 5 years down the road, you will not regret having done a few extra tryouts.

The only possible downside I can think of is having a period where you are unsettled and undecided. Some people can’t handle the uncertainty, but if you can think of it like a summer camp or something you do for a defined period, I think you will be happy you did the due diligence.

Thanks for the tips and advice. great stuff! Nice to hear that others have tried a few gyms and tryouts. We don't know much about gymnastics but see it as similar to other sports. A lot of opportunity, from competing at early ages, high school, college or national levels, to coaching at a gym or at those levels, or starting her own gym. We don't want to put her at a disadvantage to achieve those things, and she definitely wants to move to a JO team and focus on gymnastics.

My youngest switched from xcel gold to JO 4 at age 10. It hasn’t been easy, but there is no comparison in her skill level and attention to detail since having switched. Having said that....her “future” is basically being in gym for fun, exercise, and energy burning, so I can’t speak to that part. She loves gymnastics more than ever and says she never wants to quit. We will see! It is never too late to switch if you are willing to commit and work on details, details, details!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back