Anon Xcel verses DP coaches choice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do coaches make the decision for a athlete to do DP versus Xcel? Is it always based on talent? If a coach has the option to place an athlete in either program, is xcel always for the less talented gymnasts? Obviously some girls want lesser hours, but what if hours didn’t play into it as this Xcel program practices almost the same as DP. I’m just wondering what made my daughter’s coaches choose Xcel verses DP for her for next season. I’m good with the path that was chosen for her but wasn’t given an explanation as to why they see her staying on the xcel path verses DP. She seems equally as talented as her teammates and some were chosen for DP for next season. She doesn’t have a big focus on scores and enjoys the challenge of new skills. I’m wondering if her coach thought her personality fits better with xcel, she would score better in xcel, would be bored in DP program as she wouldn’t get to have flexibility in her routines, or if she just isn’t talented enough for DP. Just curious to hear why decisions are made for one program versus another.

best thing to do is have a meeting with the coaches and ask directly. Every program is different in how/why they make the choices they do. Age, future potential (in the eyes of the coaches), body shape/size, dedication (always at practice vs taking time off), injuries, personality (risk taking vs cautious)... the list goes on.

Agree that you need to ask directly. At our gym, we only have Xcel until L6. Some kids stay on the Xcel track until Diamond, others move to DP (usually after 1-year of Gold). However, our coaches like to know if an athlete has DP aspirations WHILE they are still in Xcel as they train them slightly differently. Some kids do not have the option to move to DP. For those that do have the potential, our coaches want to make sure the family is invested and "all in" as it's much more of a committment - so they do look at things like dedication at practice, how often practice is missed, financial standing with the gym, etc in addition to the talent of the athlete.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back