WAG Xcel vs JO Cost

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sewin2music

Gymnast
Hi! I am currently deciding which gym I would like to train at. One would put me into the JO track while the other would put me on the Xcel track. I am currently 15. What is the difference between Xcel and JO cost wise? Could you also break down the total cost into categories? :) Also (doesn't really go with the title but...) would I be able to join team and compete if i were to join mid season?

All of this would depend on the gym. So you should ask each gym for the cost estimate and if you could compete mid-season.
Also consider that JO will probably be more practice hours, more intensive training, more competitions, harder on your body, and you may be one of the oldest in your group. This could depend on the gym, too.

This could actually vary SO much from place to place that any answers here are basically useless. I know that when my daughter tried out for gyms, they told us her prospective placement, as well as the hours she would train, and the cost per month. Did the gyms you are talking about give you that info? If not, I would request it before making any decisions. Are you new to gymnastics? What level are we talking about here for JO/Xcel? What region are you in? In some places the hours and cost would be the same, some xcel low hours and cheaper, some xcel low hours and more expensive, and some xcel high hours. It's just too variable.

ETA: there is no reason you cannot join and compete mid season, assuming you are physically ready and know the routines.

I'm not exactly new to gymnastics; I used to be in gymnastics maybe 4/5 years ago. Then I switched to dance. I just recently stopped dance and tried tumbling classes, but tumbling was too close to gymnastics so now I am back to regular gymnastics. I would most likely be put in level 3 for a few months than switch to either level 4 or xcel silver (I have most of the level 3 skills). I don't know which region, but I am in California I believe JO would be 9 hours in level 4 while xcel sliver trains 8 hours.

I will definitively ask them for their info. Thank you for your guys' quick responses!

I'm not exactly new to gymnastics; I used to be in gymnastics maybe 4/5 years ago. Then I switched to dance. I just recently stopped dance and tried tumbling classes, but tumbling was too close to gymnastics so now I am back to regular gymnastics. I would most likely be put in level 3 for a few months than switch to either level 4 or xcel silver (I have most of the level 3 skills). I don't know which region, but I am in California I believe JO would be 9 hours in level 4 while xcel sliver trains 8 hours.

I will definitively ask them for their info. Thank you for your guys' quick responses!

California is region one- it's our region also. I think it's fantastic that a gym here in Cali offered you a spot on the JO team- there seems to be a lot of age restrictions here (more so than other places). It has been our experience here in Cali that Xcel and JO are very nearly the same cost, but the hours much higher in JO. The number of meets is even the same. The leotards and warm ups seem to be mostly cheaper in xcel though. My DD went from Xcel Gold at 6 hrs to training L4/5 at 17 hours (and now, in the summer 21 hrs). That is exactly what she wanted, but you need to ask yourself how much of your time you want to invest into this- that's as big a factor as cost. Best of luck to you!

Our Xcel team actually spent the same as the JO team on warm ups (matched the JO team) and the leo was more (more intricate). Meets and assessments were the same, the only thing different was the monthly because the hours were less.

Cost definitely varies from gym to gym! Here in FL, I've seen gyms with really afforadable team costs and then others with super spendy rec classes! I just made the decision to leave my current gym if I'm offered a spot in xcel at another gym, as I'd really enjoy more freedom in my routines (I've been eaten alive by mental blocks trying to get my level 3 skills because I absolutely have to have those skills!). I hadn't committed to competing level 3 at my current gym anyway, head coach decides if you are ready to compete around October (they compete the spring season). We'll see how my xcel tryout goes at the end of the month!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back