MAG Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
As I read it, it's an attempt to create a lower level competitive path for boys who are currently limited to rec because they don't want to or can't commit to JO training intensity. I hope that they looked at JD nationally and assessed the impact carefully before moving forward. Not sure how this is going to fit with JD -- is JD staying?? Is the idea for this to be for younger guys who will then move into JD as they age up and gain skills?

Wow! First I had heard. Curious to learn more...

For real? I haven't read the article yet, but it seems to me we are short enough on boys without breaking them up into even more groups!

Having a boy in the sport, I have had many a conversation with parents of younger boys whose sons started in rec, tried team or preteam, but want something in the middle. Team was too much commitment (or the training was too 'serious'), but Rec was either mostly girls, or the boys program didn't go high enough, or boy still wanted to compete, but couldn't commit to the current or eventual hours, often due to other sports.

I do think Boys Xcel could be a great program and attract MORE boys to the sport. Many drop out after rec when there is no other option. Maybe this would keep those boys, and get more boys IN to the sport when there is an actual TEAM to 'play' on..

At least that is the theory.. execution and marketing will play a big hand here of course... interesting though!

I just hope it doesn't start off well intentioned and then transition into something else. Gyms suddenly decide that certain boys aren't 'good enough' for JO, etc...
Or as a way to avoid compulsory, the way some girls teams use their xcel programs. I'm not a fan of that method. With regard to OUR gym, I can't imagine there are that many more boys that just can't make JO. Boy's team is pretty flexible and relaxed until the higher levels as it is.

As I read it, it's an attempt to create a lower level competitive path for boys who are currently limited to rec because they don't want to or can't commit to JO training intensity. I hope that they looked at JD nationally and assessed the impact carefully before moving forward. Not sure how this is going to fit with JD -- is JD staying?? Is the idea for this to be for younger guys who will then move into JD as they age up and gain skills?

I sure hope JD is staying as a division within the JO program. So useful for so many boys, either as a stepping stone, or a longer term fit. It does seem like Boys Xcel could be a good feeder into JD, though. That could work...

I just hope it doesn't start off well intentioned and then transition into something else. Gyms suddenly decide that certain boys aren't 'good enough' for JO, etc...
Or as a way to avoid compulsory, the way some girls teams use their xcel programs. I'm not a fan of that method. With regard to OUR gym, I can't imagine there are that many more boys that just can't make JO. Boy's team is pretty flexible and relaxed until the higher levels as it is.

Compared to girls, I agree many boys teams are more flexible in terms of who initially gets invited to team/pre-team, but as the levels go up, there is still often lack of flexibility in hours (can get to high hours quickly), and moving up in levels (many boys quit because they are stuck in Level 5 for example). The "Division II" addition helps some of the moving up part (moving between Div II and Div I could be somewhat mentally satisfying), but the high hours are still there. Though we are in a lower hours program, going 15-20 hours at levels 5-7 is very common for boys, even if they choose (or are placed into) Division II.

I can see an Xcel-style Boys team that practices 4-10 hours per week being VERY popular.

From looking at the manual, i see one main difference. There are 3 levels for boys now (bronze, silver, gold) so if you want to continue progress, you Will have to transition to JO anyways.
Also, bronze doesn't have a rings routine, which seems strange as Well. Curious to see how this turns out!

BUT THIS NEEDS A COOLER NAME!!!

"Xcel for Boys" is not going to attract boys, lol.

Quick! Lets put a focus group together of BOYS and their DADS (who often contribute to decisions for their sons' sport participation) and see what would attract them! :D:D:D

That's super cool! They started up (it hasn't really taken yet) an Xcel type program for rhythmic too (rhythmic xpress). My ODD was convinced to to be the first person in our state to do it. They figured she'd be the only one on her JO level in her age group anyway, so why not get it started.

That's super cool! They started up (it hasn't really taken yet) an Xcel type program for rhythmic too (rhythmic xpress). My ODD was convinced to to be the first person in our state to do it. They figured she'd be the only one on her JO level in her age group anyway, so why not get it started.

That's very cool! I didn't know there was a JO-alternative rhythmic program anywhere!

Oh wow - I heard our gym was adding a boys excel team next year but I just thought they meant JD (which we don't currently have). I never imagined it was for lower level/younger boys. Will be extremely interesting to see how this plays out.

I guess I thought D2 and JD was what this was. I do wonder how this will play out.

Reactions: sce
From looking at the manual, i see one main difference. There are 3 levels for boys now (bronze, silver, gold) so if you want to continue progress, you Will have to transition to JO anyways.
Also, bronze doesn't have a rings routine, which seems strange as Well. Curious to see how this turns out!
Bronze doesn't have a Pommel routine either… and the pommel routines for Silver and Gold are compulsory routines (no variations).
Have to be at least 6 to compete. All vaults are onto stacked mats at least 16" high (so no vault table).
It will be interesting though.

Reactions: sce
Well, at least this will prevent people from saying JD or division 2 is "Xcel for boys." Gotta say, that really bugged me.
As far as names, I agree that sounds lame. But it might be ok as long as "Xcel for girls" also becomes common usage. Or maybe Girls Xcel and Boys Xcel sounds better?
If only "X-Men" were not already taken....

This is really neat! However, I can see the whole you're-not-good-enough-for-Jo-so-here's-xcel sort of thing, like it kind of has become for girls. Do y'all think they'll add a platinum and diamond if this takes off?

This is really neat! However, I can see the whole you're-not-good-enough-for-Jo-so-here's-xcel sort of thing, like it kind of has become for girls. Do y'all think they'll add a platinum and diamond if this takes off?

I think JD fulfills that purpose, though they might rename it or tweak it at some point.

I hope it takes off and increases the demand for people who can coach men's gym. Yeah, I know that's painful for those of us who have needed additional coaching capacity to contemplate, but if it could give some good early career opportunities to college-age guys, it could contribute to the growth and success of more club programs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back