Parents Year round school and summer gym schedule?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
My DD goes to a year round school -they get about 7 weeks off for summer. Our gym (as well as the other gyms in the area) has a 9 week summer schedule -so it starts 2 weeks before DD gets out of school for the summer. It's not a problem this year as DD's practice starts after school hours -but in future years practice for her could be entirely during school hours for the 2 weeks. Does anyone deal with this and what have you done? It seems like a lot to miss -first 2 weeks of summer practice, no? I definitely believe in reinforcing the message that school is more important than gym so I wouldn't want to take her out of school for gym -at least not much. How have others dealt with this?

My DDs gym switched to a day schedule for summer. There is one girl in her group who is still in school for two more weeks. The HC kept a single, combined level evening practice for team girls who can't make days. It's from L4-10, and has about 6 girls in it. Maybe ask if there is an alternative group your DD could join for those two weeks?

If this is a school that other gymnasts regularly attend, I am sure the HC has a plan. If yours will be the first in this dilemma, just talk with the coach a few months before summer session next year to work out an arrangement. They will probably have her join the next highest afternoon group for those two weeks.

Forgive my ignorance, but with " 7 weeks off in the summer" , what makes it a "year round school"? We get 8 weeks off in summer and aren't considered year round..

I was curious about this too. My dd goes to a year round school, but they are very common here and the gyms have had to adapt to their schedule. We have multi track year round where each track goes approximately 9 weeks and then gets 3-4 weeks off. The weeks of the 4th of July and Christmas are the only 2 weeks that every track is tracked out. So the gyms can't have summer practices during the school day really or they would have a lot of parents complaining I imagine. I would ask your gym how they handle gymnasts with your schedule..

Forgive my ignorance, but with " 7 weeks off in the summer" , what makes it a "year round school"? We get 8 weeks off in summer and aren't considered year round..

I don't know why it is considered year round -but it truly is! All I can say is that most of the schools around here have 11 weeks off for summer and many activities (such as the gyms) have a summer schedule that starts about 2 weeks before we are out and finishes right when we go back -so in our area at least, our schedule is unusual.

most traditional schools in the US have 10-12 weeks off in the summer. In the past 20 years, there have been more school districts go to either year round (9wks on, 3 wks off all year round) or modified traditional (usually 9 weeks in, 3 weeks out and 6-7 wk break in the summer). But most districts still use a regular traditional schedule (aug/sep-may/june with a 2wk Christmas break, and 1-2 one week breaks sometime between feb and april).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back