WAG YMCA Gymnastics scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am currently at a YMCA as a level 6. Unlike some YMCA's, we have a full spring floor, a vault table, 3 high beams, 2 low beams, and 2 sets of bars. I get pretty "good" scores and usually win all around at my meets. The problem is, I don't know if I really deserve the scores. I've heard about how YMCA judges usually give out higher scores, and I want to get a score I really earn. My average scores are usually: bars-8.6 beam-8.5 vault- 9.1 floor-8.6 with an all around in the low 34s or high 33s. Do you know how much YMCA scores are usually inflated and what I might get if I competed USAG? Thanks!

I have no clue about YMCA gymnastics, but I did swim YMCA Masters for years, my times in the YMCA system, would get me on the podium (sort of speaking) but I would barely qualify for US Masters. I would imagine it would be less competitive then the USAG system, but it is a numbers game. So many more girls compete USAG, then YMCA. Your scores seem typical for Level 6, but I do know in my state, you will need, 36 and even 37s to win AA titles. If you are able to compete USAG, I would give it a try and see what happens. It will be a great learning experience no matter what happens.

When my DD competed at the Y, she did generally score higher at the Y meets than at USAG, but the difference wasn't huge... a few tenths difference per event. Don't ever feel like you're "just" a YMCA gymnast. You're a gymnast who has to do more with less (less time, less equipment) which is why judges are sometimes a bit more generous. Be proud of your accomplishments and know that you earned those scores!

I think the scoring would be different depending on the region but I found that I scored higher at USAG meets! One YMCA meet I won level 6 bars with a 7 something! I have heard that YMCA meets are typically scored lower because we used the same judges as USAG meets do and they were used to seeing girls who practiced 20+ hours a week versus my 9 hours a week so obviously I was a lot less fine-tuned so they gave me lower scores.

My DD's 1st year competing she was at a Y. I can't say the scoring is a whole lot different than USAG. I think though, depending where you live, there can be less competition, and fewer "standout" gymnasts, thus you see higher placings with lower scores. But, that's to be expected with the generally lower hours and less equipment at most Ys. Be proud of how you're doing as a level 6 - it's a tough level!

Thanks to all of you that replied! It sounds like the scoring isn't that different then USAG. Anyone here know about the "average" level 6 all around of a USAG gymnast. I know I work less hours and such, but I'm curious. :D

At our USAG states this year, at least one L6 age group had 38+ AA win, and all others had over 37. That is states though. If you want to compare your score to those of others in your state, visit MyMeetScores.com.

Yeah. :D So in your opinion, a "good" score would be...?

The best thing to do would be to go to your state's gymnastics website and look up the scores from the Level 6 state meet. That will give you an idea. We are also at a YMCA and we use the same judges as USAG meets and they judge everyone on the same criteria regardless of where and how much they train. You have to consider also, that some USAG gyms "stack" their teams or require very high mobility scores (I know a lot of USAG gyms that say that you need AT LEAST a 36.0 or 37.0 All Around twice in a season AND you have to have ALL the skills for the next level before you can move up, but more often, in a YMCA, you can move up if you meet the minimum.

In my Zone, we have MANDATE scores for each level. If you get the MANDATE all around score AND in the same meet, make the event mandate scores 2x in a season, you HAVE to move up... or petition not to move up if there is a reason why you can't. For Level 6, the Minimum is 31.0 2x and the Mandate is 33.0 2x with at least a 7.75 on each event in the same meets you got the 33.0.

Our gym is like yours... we actually have a spring floor and a vault table and high beams, low beams, 2 bar sets, etc. We have one girl that got 34.725 in one meet. Of course, she had personal bests on 3 events that day and 2 of those were in the 9s. The year before, she had won her age division at Nationals in Level 5 :)

In my Zone, we have MANDATE scores for each level. If you get the MANDATE all around score AND in the same meet, make the event mandate scores 2x in a season, you HAVE to move up... or petition not to move up if there is a reason why you can't. For Level 6, the Minimum is 31.0 2x and the Mandate is 33.0 2x with at least a 7.75 on each event in the same meets you got the 33.0.

This seems like a very low score to REQUIRE a move up. I don't think that suggests you've mastered that level, never mind that you're prepared for the next level. (And I'm not one that thinks you need repeated 37s or even multiple 36s to move up). Do any of these YMCAs compete against USAG teams? I ask only because I know our local YMCA has moved kids up with barely a 31AA. I don't know if they were mandated to do so (I don't think so), but they are getting CRUSHED at meets that are not entirely YMCA. They're just setting these kids up to fail, IMO.

Our experience varies, but in general if it's a bigger or tougher USAG meet (i.e., lots of competitive teams) the scores will drop probably on average about .5 per event. I think it's just that the tone of the meet is set with a higher standard, there are more girls competing the skills with a more precise level of precision. At Y meets, you just don't have those numbers with the level of "perfection"
Now we have gone to some smaller local USAG meets, where there is more of a mix of teams (not every USAG team is amazing), and our Y team does quite well, but the difference is at these meets 34s and 35s are getting on the podium.At a big USAG meet a 35 is not placing, especially in those tough age groups.

I am currently at a YMCA as a level 6. Unlike some YMCA's, we have a full spring floor, a vault table, 3 high beams, 2 low beams, and 2 sets of bars. I get pretty "good" scores and usually win all around at my meets. The problem is, I don't know if I really deserve the scores. I've heard about how YMCA judges usually give out higher scores, and I want to get a score I really earn. My average scores are usually: bars-8.6 beam-8.5 vault- 9.1 floor-8.6 with an all around in the low 34s or high 33s. Do you know how much YMCA scores are usually inflated and what I might get if I competed USAG? Thanks!

When you go to a USAG meet you do compete against USAG kids. We have mandates too, but the scores are higher (34?) at two meets and you have to have competed 2 years at the level. So you won't necessarily mandate with higher scores after first year.
This seems like a very low score to REQUIRE a move up. I don't think that suggests you've mastered that level, never mind that you're prepared for the next level. (And I'm not one that thinks you need repeated 37s or even multiple 36s to move up). Do any of these YMCAs compete against USAG teams? I ask only because I know our local YMCA has moved kids up with barely a 31AA. I don't know if they were mandated to do so (I don't think so), but they are getting CRUSHED at meets that are not entirely YMCA. They're just setting these kids up to fail, IMO.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! My gym has mandate scores too, I think the YMCA program requires it so teams don't start holding back gymnasts just for them to score higher. I think ours is getting a 34 twice. My coaches make sure no one moves up waaayyy too soon, though sometimes I feel gymnasts shouldn't move up without an important skill (kip for example) and they do. My gym doesn't go to USAG meets because none of the gymnasts have a membership. My coaches are probably going to start inviting nearby clubs to our meet; when that happens I can see how I place. Also my mom might pay for a USAG membership next year so I may go to some USAG meets.

P.S. Keep the comments coming!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back