ymca vs. usag?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the difference between ymca and usag gymnastics? I'm not sure I want to work at a y, but the opportunity is there. Can y gymnasts compete at usag meets, and even qualify for states, regionals, etc.?

I've always been under the impression that y gymnastics is generally a lower level than usag, but I'd like to know if thats true or not.

YMCA gymnasts can, and often do, compete at USAG meets, qualify to states, regionals, nationals, all that stuff. They also have YMCA local, state, regional, and national meets which are slightly easier to qualify for. Some programs are a little bit more relaxed in their hours and expectations, but some produce some pretty good gymnasts. It really just depends on the coaches and what they have invested into the program.
My suggestion would be to watch a practice at the Y you are looking at just because the programs do vary. There are some great lower level Y programs out there, but also some pretty good ones so I would pursue the opportunity.

Generally, but there are some really good (and big) Y programs. There used to be a member here with a daughter who was in a Y program that had many optionals and 9s and 10s. They had been at a USAG gym before that and were very happy with the standard of coaching in the Y program from what I know.

And I have worked in a county run program that also has a competitive team, very well run and very competitive (little different than a Y of course, but it really just depends).

To me it just depends on the size, facility, management, etc. As far as the question yes these programs can be run concurrently with all levels of USAG, there is also a Y nationals meet and some opportunities like that. I think it's definitely worth visiting the program and checking it out, like non-Y gyms it really just varies as to the program culture and expectations in terms of competitiveness.

My daughter is a level 9 gymnast at the Hanover YMCA and they do compete USAG/YMCA. We also have a boys program. We have an awesome facility! The optional team practices 4 hrs. 5 days a week and the team is very serious about gymnastics. I know of other YMCA's that do not have the means to run an intense program so I suggest you research the gym you are considering. Then make your decision.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. My daughter is on the pre-team at our YMCA and they have a great facility and coaching staff. They compete USAG and then do the YMCA Nationals each year. Check out the gym and if it looks like a good program, go for it. :)

It varies over the entire spectrum, so you just need to check out that individual Y and see what the program is like. One of the more competitive clubs in our region is a Y program and they have high level optionals doing well at USAG regionals and nationals and have had girls get D1 scholarships.

It varies over the entire spectrum, so you just need to check out that individual Y and see what the program is like. One of the more competitive clubs in our region is a Y program and they have high level optionals doing well at USAG regionals and nationals and have had girls get D1 scholarships.

Ha, based on your location I'm pretty sure this is the one I'm talking about!

Yah. I guess it's pretty well known as the best Y program in the country. I think those who live in that area are so lucky because the Y supports it and it's considerably less expensive than private gymnastics clubs.

Yah. I guess it's pretty well known as the best Y program in the country. I think those who live in that area are so lucky because the Y supports it and it's considerably less expensive than private gymnastics clubs.

I think I know which one you're talking about too. Sent you a PM! :)

If you are looking for an employer, also keep in mind that a Y can be very different from a gym. In good ways, but also in ways that may not be for you. YMCA is a Christian organization. Their values (Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility) are very important to them and are keys to all their programming. Now, of course any gymnastic coach will agree that Respect is an extremely important part of teaching the sport, but at a Y, you may need to report how you are doing that.

This is not to discourage you at all. Just something to keep in mind.

If you are looking for an employer, also keep in mind that a Y can be very different from a gym. In good ways, but also in ways that may not be for you. YMCA is a Christian organization. Their values (Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility) are very important to them and are keys to all their programming. Now, of course any gymnastic coach will agree that Respect is an extremely important part of teaching the sport, but at a Y, you may need to report how you are doing that.

This is not to discourage you at all. Just something to keep in mind.

That's a really good point. My brother coached a very competitive Y swim team for a while and in addition to going to practices, meets, and doing USA Swimming training, he also had to go to special educational seminars for the Y. It seemed like he was constantly getting some kind of new certification or going to a new Y mandated class.

I LOVED my Y and the training I got there. I would not have been able to do gymnastics at all if we didn't have a Y in my hometown because the other gym by me charges more for level 4s than we did for level 7s...

That's a really good point. My brother coached a very competitive Y swim team for a while and in addition to going to practices, meets, and doing USA Swimming training, he also had to go to special educational seminars for the Y. It seemed like he was constantly getting some kind of new certification or going to a new Y mandated class.
Good point, however if your committed to your sport then you won't mind furthering your knowledge and education. As a Y employee, I can tell you that it is highly recommended that you attend the annual meeting and if you meet that requirement it has always been a raise in your paycheck. Not a bad thing.

I have done gymnastics through the YMCA for 18 plus years, and now coach. I can honestly say I'd NEVER leave the Y to coach at a club or anywhere else. I love the core values it has taught me and continues to. The training I received was amazing, and the friendships I gained were great too. I highly recommend working at a YMCA, the atmosphere is less tense than that of a club, and there isn't that much of a competitive edge (not saying we don't like to compete!) And I know no one out there has mentioned this, but I know that there is a stigma where I live that Y is MUCH easier when it comes to judging and practicing.. but that is NOT the case. Y is judged just as hard as USAG, as well as we train our girls just as hard as club, just not hours wise.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back