WAG You haven't lived...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

until you've had to get a 16-foot beam into a downstairs room through a window. Those suckers are heavy!

Nope, you haven't lived until you've moved an entire gym full of equipment from a high school gym to it's new home a mile away in -35c, two feet of snow with one pick up truck and open trailer and the head coach away at a meet. Then setting up a brand new foam block floor with all the equipment in the gym when the gym is less than 3000feet square and you realize that a saw will be needed to make it fit. That was the weekend from HELL, and only five people, four women, one guy, to do the whole job.

But we did have beer.

I have muscles on my muscles from setting up in a high school gym three times a week and taking it all down again each time. Four beams, two sets of bars, tramp, vault and runway, full tumble strip, three flexi rolls and all required safety matting. Every week for five years. I can still put up a set of Gymnova bars by myself using four spotting blocks, in fact I think I can do it in my sleep. :p

Beams, basements beginner stuff. :D

Nope, you haven't lived until you've moved an entire gym full of equipment from a high school gym to it's new home a mile away in -35c, two feet of snow with one pick up truck and open trailer and the head coach away at a meet. Then setting up a brand new foam block floor with all the equipment in the gym when the gym is less than 3000feet square and you realize that a saw will be needed to make it fit. That was the weekend from HELL, and only five people, four women, one guy, to do the whole job.

But we did have beer.

I have muscles on my muscles from setting up in a high school gym three times a week and taking it all down again each time. Four beams, two sets of bars, tramp, vault and runway, full tumble strip, three flexi rolls and all required safety matting. Every week for five years. I can still put up a set of Gymnova bars by myself using four spotting blocks, in fact I think I can do it in my sleep. :p

Yikes!! Hope that you had plenty of beer. :D

LOL cbone, we all have to start somewhere. That is just the begining..trust me.

Although I do not have the experience bog has, I have set up and tore down a full Modified Capitol Cup meet. Twice. This December will be my third time. I hate those dang blue jugs that you fill with water to anchor the bars to the floor. My sore muscles had sore muscles. (this goes with bogs muscles having muscles..lol)
It's all part of being in a gymnastics family. They really do mean it when they say it is a whole family sport.
Oh, and those beams in the home..make for great toe crackers/shin bangers in the middle of the night.
We don't have a burglar alarm on our home..we have gym equipment..lol

Oh, and those beams in the home..make for great toe crackers/shin bangers in the middle of the night.
We don't have a burglar alarm on our home..we have gym equipment..lol

Ours is missing the plastic cap from one of the leg ends. It really sucks to have your pinky toe catch inside the tube and get separated from the rest of your foot!

But we did have beer.

I have muscles on my muscles from setting up in a high school gym three times a week and taking it all down again each time. Four beams, two sets of bars, tramp, vault and runway, full tumble strip, three flexi rolls and all required safety matting. Every week for five years. I can still put up a set of Gymnova bars by myself using four spotting blocks, in fact I think I can do it in my sleep.

Bogs you rock! Lol I know who to call if I need to move a gym ;). Cbone hope she enjoys it :) the things we do for them lol

Respringing a tumbletrak. THAT is the mark of a life well lived.

Oh I bet that is nasty. We did the gym tramp once and the new bed was TOO SMALL, nearly killed us and the manufacturer insisted it was the right size. Those springs are nasty.

Deanna, that moving the gym for meets can be pretty brutal, especially as you are in a time crunch.

Cbone, we all begin somewhere. Just think how much fun it will be to get that beam out when you realise she hasn't used it in a year. They are not the most multifunctional pieces of furniture.

My hubby will say springing a trampoline at the bottom of the pit. I think he still has scabs on his elbows where his skin scraped off again the concrete walls.

My hubby will say springing a trampoline at the bottom of the pit. I think he still has scabs on his elbows where his skin scraped off again the concrete walls.
Springing a trampoline is hard work. Not only exhausting, but dangerous. You get a spring almost in place and lose your grip and that thing is a weapon!

Ugh, I've helped move a gym for a meet before. Luckily we had a fair amount of men involved. Then we had all the little details to worry about when the big stuff was in place - it was our first time hosting a meet and first time at that location, and there was so much we remembered at the last minute despite pretty thorough advanced planning! We got through the last part of set-up night with the help of some potent rum punch!

Most meets around here are set up/torn down by a local company that sells gym equipment. I never really gave any thought to a gym actually moving their own equipment to and from the meet.

Our gym rents equipment, but the parents and coaches are the ones who set it up for the meet. I helped 1 time and was clueless and amazed at how it went and what goes into it. I think next time I will be more help LOL.

I love this thread! It's amazing what parents do to keep our kids in the toughest sport in the world.

And bog, my daughter will be the exception to the rule and will use her beam every single day. I'm sure of it. At least this month. :p

I love this thread! It's amazing what parents do to keep our kids in the toughest sport in the world.

And bog, my daughter will be the exception to the rule and will use her beam every single day. I'm sure of it. At least this month. :p
The easiest way to get her to use it again after she loses interest is to have a conspicuously loud conversation with your spouse about selling it on Craigslist.

The easiest way to get her to use it again after she loses interest is to have a conspicuously loud conversation with your spouse about selling it on Craigslist.

LOL that worked for me!!! That beam became my life for a while after hearing my dad wanted to sell it on craigslist!

Oh I bet that is nasty. We did the gym tramp once and the new bed was TOO SMALL, nearly killed us and the manufacturer insisted it was the right size. Those springs are nasty.

Deanna, that moving the gym for meets can be pretty brutal, especially as you are in a time crunch.

Cbone, we all begin somewhere. Just think how much fun it will be to get that beam out when you realise she hasn't used it in a year. They are not the most multifunctional pieces of furniture.

Yah. We all had holes in our hands for weeks from where the springs snapped back and ripped off a chunk of epidermis. Oh and it was extra fun making sure you went the right speed on each side, bc if one side was too easy it meant the other side was impossible & uneven tension...

Respringing a competition trampoline is aawful too, but I'll take that over the tumbletrak.

I just posted ours on Craiglist, dd is not objecting to it so I guess she really is done with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back