WAG You know you're a gymnast when...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My little one keeps doing and saying things that make me shake my head and think "Only a gymnast!" None of these items alone is worthy of a thread, but I thought it would be funny to share the ones from my daughter as well as laugh at the ones from others. Without further ado, you know you're a gymnast when...

• you explain to your parents that skipping open gym for a gymnastics birthday party is unacceptable because the end of one event and the beginning of the other events are two hours apart and "that's enough time to rest".
  • you immediately stop your five minute game of repeating after someone when they say "Gymnastics sucks!" because you can't bring yourself to say those words.
  • you give a coach a pass for being grumpy because you "weren't focussing enough".

Alright, gang- let me have yours!!!

When you go to a fair and see a booth that says "do 20 push-ups and get a medal!" And you drop right there and do them...and the woman at the booth, impressed by your form and speed, says "you must be a gymnast!" ...just happened last weekend to my DD, 9.

When, as an adult, and I mean way, way, way adult, you do a zip line with your kids and with-out realizing.........you point your toes!!!

When you have the sudden urge to do handstands everywhere! And you see imaginary beams everywhereM
and when youy automatically start doing your floor rotine, and you hear your friends say, "shes doing it again"

First I think we could also write about you knew you had to gymnastics when. That's an easy one for me. My parents knew they had to involve me in gymnastics when at the age of 2, I climbed on the top of the fridge... all by myself. My mom found me sitting there.

When your parents have to change the blinds in the living room because at the age of 5 you decided you wanted to do the same things as the big girls and tried to do cartwheels

When, as you're coach don't want to teach you how to do a roundoff back tuck, you learn it all by yourself in your basement (please don't do that!)!

When you arrive at school in a cast or in crutches and people tell you: again? (That wasn't even because of the round off back tuck!)

People look at your agenda in high school and they are just wow you train that often?

And you know you were a gymnast when...

More than 8 years after stopping gymnastics, you still dream about it. And when I dream about gymnastics I move in my bed so it feels like I'm falling and wake up a bit confuse loll

You do handstand, and turns every where.

You're actual profile picture on Facebook is you doing a handstand :rolleyes:

You hear a music and think: that would make a good floor music!

When at a festival and you see the marine recruiting station with pull up bar and you do more pullups than the marines.
When cartweels become a more frequent mode of travel than walking.
When even when they are done they still come back to visit and hug their coach.

when you do an "L" hold coming down the escalator. even at my age. i just can't help myself...:)

When at a festival and you see the marine recruiting station with pull up bar and you do more pullups than the marines.
When cartweels become a more frequent mode of travel than walking.
When even when they are done they still come back to visit and hug their coach.

I jokingly posted a thread on another non-gymnastic forum that I frequent that said "Can you do what my 6-year-old does?" I asked if anyone could do five sets of 8 dead-hang pull-ups with 60 seconds in between sets. I was called a liar and all sorts of other names by all but one guy whose neice was a gymnast and knew a little about the sport...

When you can do more than double the amount of push-ups any of the football players can do in your freshmen P.E. class :)

And, when you can run a mile faster than 85% of the guys in your P.E. class.

When the only thing hanging up in your closet is leos.

Seriously, my daughter folds all her clothes and puts them in her dresser and on shelves in her closet, so yesterday I went to hang up leos that I had washed and were drying, and other than 2 dresses & a jacket, that is the only thing hanging in her closet.

Obviously.....you need to add to her wardrobe......possibly some grips and various elbo braces wrist rockets, and other items so she can coordinate elemnts of the gym world into her everyday outfits....I hear that orange is the new pink!!!:D

Not so much my little one (yet), but I've yet to see my niece (L5) walk around her house. She does BWO's, FWO's, and cartwheels as her normal mode of transportation. Even at the mall, grocery store. I think the kid has forgotten how to walk with two legs. :)

I think the stuff the little gymnasts come up with is adorable though. On the way home from gym the other day, my DD5 told me "Mommy, I really need to get my back tuck on beam". LoL. I agreed that was a good goal. In my head, I was thinking a she might need a back tuck on the floor first. But who am I to discourage. ;-) She did get her front tuck on the trampoline, which she was overjoyed about.

My daughter is so used to talking 'gymnastics' that she gets it mixed up with her english.

When I asked her how many kids were in her new class - she counted and said "there are 7 level 4's and 6 level 3's (instead of year 3 and 4)

When I asked her what they had been doing in PE she replied that they had been playing 'round-offs' (instead of rounders, which you might not have in the US?)

Numerous other examples and she doesn't even realise, it just makes me smile.

Also when I layed out her clean school uniform on the bed yesterday and told her to go and get dressed, she automatically went to the wardrobe and started rooting out a leotard... until I pointed out that her classmates might stare :)

And yes she cartwheels everywhere - up and down the supermarket aisles, whilst waiting in the post office. Half the time when I'm talking to her she is upside down.

Funny thread! On the way to practice the other day, my 8-year old Level 4 dd said she wished we had an RV so she could practice her tricks in the car on the way to gym :D She also told me that she wants to be homeschooled so she can spend more time in the gym. Not ready for that!!

Also when I layed out her clean school uniform on the bed yesterday and told her to go and get dressed, she automatically went to the wardrobe and started rooting out a leotard... until I pointed out that her classmates might stare :)

That's too cute. If they made collared leotards, my DD would probably try to wear it to school too.

When you finally convince dd to do an activity other than gym and she is singing in the chorus concert in a sleeveless dress. At the end of each song when the kids circle their arms up and down for the final note and you hear murmurs in the audience, "look at the muscles on that girl". Over and over. By the end of the concert, I'll admit that I was thinking that too. ;)

I love ALL of these! They make me smile and bring tears to my eyes at the same time. Proud tears that is because I can totally relate to each example. We are very blessed to have such happy and healthy children.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back