WAG your experiences...from Back Tuck to Layout to Twist - was it hard for you/your DD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

RO BH BT came quite easy to me. After mastering all 3 on their own it took some practice but then I got it quite quick.

I was always super confused how I should ever be able to do a back layout! But I trained it on trampline first and I actually could throw one on tumbl trak just after 3 days and I progressed to floor in a month and now have it perfectly. I am now training for fulls. I think the landing is kinda tricky, you really need to set high enough to get a good twist. But I managed to stick it onto some mats already, so I guess it won't take too long until I have it.

I was wondering what happens next. I mean, the next steps are double backs or double fulls. Is it as easy to progress as from Back Tuck to Layout and then to Full? At the moment it seems sooo hard to me!

The same counts for front tumbling. FH FH was super easy, FH FT also and FH FT FT also didn't take too long for me, although sticking the last tuck was kinda hard. Now I am at FH FL FT and this really seems to be hard, don't want to speak about Front Twists!

What are your experiences?

Back tuck to layout was easy. I can't twist for my life though, I twist anything more than a half super early. So twisting has been difficult.

Once I got my front handspring flipping out of it came pretty easy. I skipped tuck, tuck out of a front handspring because I'd over rotate the first flip every time, so instead I trained a good layout. Turning my lay, tuck into a lay, lay took a while, but now that I have it its relatively easy. I got my front full on tumble track pretty easy, but I can't twist any more than that. I used to be able to do it out of a whip half on rod floor, but I haven't trained it in a year or more due to injury.

The biggest issue I had was deciding what way to twist. I jump full turn right and pirouette right but I round off left. So i was told you must twist left as it was the same direction as your round off turns. Once we figured that out i had it on floor within the week.

My DD took longer to get her back layout than her back full. She could actually do a full before she could do a really good layout. She went from FHS-FT to FHS-FLO and FHS-FLO-FT and FP pretty quickly (she is landing FHS-FLO-FLO sometimes), but she still hasn't completely figured out front twisting.

I am glad to hear that quadqueen because while DD can do an adequate BLO it low and more like a whip but she can now do a 1/2 and is front tumbling like crazy! Glad to know there's hope :)

The biggest issue I had was deciding what way to twist. I jump full turn right and pirouette right but I round off left. So i was told you must twist left as it was the same direction as your round off turns. Once we figured that out i had it on floor within the week.

Thank you! So it seems that with proper training and good RO BH BT or FH FT it doesn't seem to hard for most gymnasts!

But what about double backs, double fulls and front twisting? I am
at this point right now and it is really hard for me! No comparison the "journey"
before...

Front twisting = now way. Just can't get enough air time to turn.

Double backs = ultra scary for me, don't know when to open and not enough height!

Double fulls = very tricky, I never stick them.

What about you?

thanks for your reply! I would like to here your further expactations with double backs and fulls as well, same question I asked gymgurl!

My DD is training double fulls - is only landing 1.5s though. She does double backs into the pit. I think she has a long way to go before attempting double backs on the floor.

My DD is training double fulls - is only landing 1.5s though. She does double backs into the pit. I think she has a long way to go before attempting double backs on the floor.

thanks a lot for your answer!

the same counts for me! i thought i was the only one struggling with that. but it seems it isn't that easy at all and can't be compared to going from tuck to layout.

i am having a hard time right now. i used to pick up skills quickly, but now at L8 everything seems to come sooo slowly!

The technique you need to do double backs has taken a long time to for me to learn. I still struggle with it frequently. 3ish years ago I trained them a lot and even trained them on the real floor instead of off a tumbling strip. But I crashed on two thanks to poor technique even after almost a year of doing them and pretty much ended my gymnastics career. Against he odds I'm back but I haven't done them on a real floor since.

And I can't twist for my life, so no double fulls for me.

The technique you need to do double backs has taken a long time to for me to learn. I still struggle with it frequently. 3ish years ago I trained them a lot and even trained them on the real floor instead of off a tumbling strip. But I crashed on two thanks to poor technique even after almost a year of doing them and pretty much ended my gymnastics career. Against he odds I'm back but I haven't done them on a real floor since.

And I can't twist for my life, so no double fulls for me.

So happy to hear of someone who has the same "problem" like me!

I am not really competetive although I do compete.
Double backs are sooo hard and front twisting even more. I can do them ob air track most of the time and also into pit of course but don't want to go for real floor ever! While progress seems so steady before if you have good technique, those doubles really frustrate me!

great that you are back! are you planning to do them on real floor again?

A loose, archy layout is not difficult to learn, however a CORRECT layout going through a candlestick shape is difficult to learn and takes a great deal of conditioning and drills to attain.

I speak from experience that a CORRECT back layout is more difficult than a back double pike.

To do a correct back layout you need some foundational strength. Opinions vary, but mine is that you need to be able to hold a hollow for 2 minutes, do 30 leg lifts on the bar or stall bars, hold an inverted hang on the bar for 30 seconds or longer (preferably 1 minute), and do 10 "rocks" on the bar. You also need a correct round off back handspring with no buckling of the knees and good turn over.

Learn a correct layout and double tuck or pikes, and double fulls and even 2 1/2s will be easy. Triple fulls are different and can be hard to learn even if one has a very good back layout and may depend on the person's body type a bit. Aly Raisman did manage to do a triple full though even though she does not have a natural twisting body, although I certainly did not prefer her form on it, but it was certainly better than Ponor's.

Anyway, spend your time conditioning, instead of doing "layouts" over and over and you will achieve multiple twists and flips.

thanks a lot for your answer!

the same counts for me! i thought i was the only one struggling with that. but it seems it isn't that easy at all and can't be compared to going from tuck to layout.

i am having a hard time right now. i used to pick up skills quickly, but now at L8 everything seems to come sooo slowly!

I'm so sorry to hear that! It is very saddening to hear because a lot of people end up quitting at this point or perhaps struggling for another year or two and then quitting. Don't be one of them!

Condition, condition, condition, and you can get your skills. It sounds evident that you may have not been made to condition even close to enough. Giants, freehips, front layouts, etc are not hard once you are conditioned.

Do these exercises ALL the time and you may break through your plateau. Here are some things a level 8 should be able to do...

V hang with toes on bar for 1 minute
Inverted hang with thighs on bar and looking at toes for 1 minute
1o lever rocks on the bar with good form
At least 10 pullups without squirming
100 v-ups in a row
wall handstand hold 5 minutes
1-arm wall handstand hold 1 minute each arm
2 minute no-walking handstand on ground with good form - minimum
100 shoulder touches in a row minimum (use wall if you like) but go for 250
Handstand walk 200 feet

Now this is just a short list, but if you work towards these goals it will help you a LOT. Many more drills and conditioning are needed but this will give you a great start.

You MUST learn a perfect handstand. Do not under estimate the importance of that. Most every elite has a perfect handstand. Some don't, but most of those don't score well internationally anyway.

Have fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back