Parents YouTube Addresses

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'll join in! I am new to youtube so we only have one posted. The girls do not compete in many meets in Japan, but I'll add them when she does. I was very excited to see that some of you are from Virginia. That is where we lived before we moved here!

It is: youtube.com/user/mygirlflipz

Sorry I can't post a link yet...not enough total posts:)!!!

We lived in Blacksburg. My daughter trained at Virginia Techniques. We still have our house there and I am looking forward to spending a couple of weeks there this summer. Are you in Virginia? if so where?

Blacksburg is sooo beautiful! Did you actually live in Blacksburg or Christiansburg? My son is at Virginia Tech... yes, he was there last April 16... right in front of Norris Hall... very traumatic for everyone and anyone who had a child there.

She was at Virginia Techniques... isn't that where Kassidy Foster was a gymnast? Did you know her? We competed against them recently. The girls are really talented.

I'm actually in northern Virginia. About 20 miles to the west from Washington, D.C. ! I'm looking forward to moving to a more quiet place one of these days... I can't stand the traffic and congestion anymore!

-Lynn

We actually lived in Blacksburg. Our house is right across 460 from Tech. We like it there alot so we decided to keep our house so we could go back for breaks. Tech is a great school. Your son must be very smart. I know you must have been crazed when all that was going on. I was. It was so close to the house and I just stayed home. The kids were in lock-down at their school and I did not leave the house until I picked them up. It was horrible and everyone you met was impacted in one way or another. I am so glad your son is okay and has been able to return to school and work through it. My son is going to soccer camp there this summer and it was very hard to convince him because he thinks "bad things happen at Tech." I hope his attitute changes once he has a great time at camp.

Yes...We are very close to the Foster's. My dd competed Level 7 with Kassidy and her little sister. They are very special people and we love them dearly. The last time we saw Kass was at my dd birthday party 2 days before we moved. The girls were pushing her around the skating rink in her wheelchair. I am really glad she was able to go on her Make A Wish trip. She was a great girl so I know she is even a better Angel!!! I really loved Techniques and the coaches. We were very happy there and my dd will train there while we are at home and then head to camp with her old teammates.

What level is your dd? Is it okay to ask what gym she goes to? I know most of the gyms in VA so you can put initials if you want. There are a couple that come to mind when I think of NV. Does she love gymnastics?

Maybe you can move to BB when you are done in the city. Tokyo is very crowded and congested too so I understand. There are some good things about being close to a big city though...you must have great shopping:)!!!

-Felicia

Hi Felicia!

My son is doing very well... he ended up cutting the semester short last year after the shootings... I think most of the kids did. In fact, I just spoke to him and he's on the drillfield right now attending the candlelight ceremony.... too sad.

Last time we were down there, my hubby and I saw the neighborhoods across from 460 and he mentioned that that might be a good place to retire!

I actually "stumbled" across Kassidy's story last summer. Can't remember how I found out about her, but it was just soo sad. My DD was her age at the time she was undergoing all of this and then to find out she had passed away was just heartbreaking. Please let her family know how much their story has touched sooo many strangers. It looks like Courtney is doing well this season too.

Katy started gymnastics at Capital. But then the location out here only goes up to Level 6, so she'd either have to make that commute (27 miles each way in TRAFFIC) to Burke, or find another gym at that point. There was a brand new gym opening up over here near Dulles Town Center mall (Loudoun County near Dulles Airport), so a few of us moved from Capital over to the new gym. There have been a LOT of growing pains this year. The owners really do have the best intentions and Katy really does like it there. One of her old Capital coaches is working there as well, so that's good. I keep thinking she needs to go to a gym with a bit more structure (Chantilly Academy, Apex??), but then I have to take a deep breath and realize that she's 13, will never make it to Level 10, probably not even 9, and what do I really expect out of the program? I want her to get great exercise, a sense of self-discipline and accomplishment... but MOST important, keep out of trouble as she goes through the teen years! And yes, she LOVES gymnastics!

-L

Hi Lynn,

I am glad your son is doing well. I do think that most of the students cut the semester short. It was great that the school had that option. It was too much for them to have to deal with at such a young age. I heard that there was going to be a ceremony. I am glad he could be part of it. There are many great neighborhoods in that area so it is definitely something to look into later on. Who knows...your dd might want to go to Tech too. They have a great club team there.

I have heard of Loudoun but really did not know much about how it was formed. Techniques is a pretty new gym too. It is only about 4 years old. I know it is hard when things are just starting but it will get better as time passes. If your dd is happy and you feel comfortable with her progress, I wouldn't worry about getting her to a gym with more structure. The gyms you listed are good, but the important thing is that she is having fun and being challenged. That is a bummer about Capital. I think they have a very good program. I did not realize there was more than one location.

It really sounds like you know what you are looking for so I am sure you guys will be fine. I looked at her videos and she is really good. Do you know if she will go to Level 6 next season? I also looked at the sectional results (Techniques had some little ones in 4 that were trying to qualify and 2 5's I think). Katie did GREAT!!! I was happy that you posted the videos so I could see her routines. I remember that music:)! Tell her to practice hard and get ready for state! It looks like you will be heading up to the Beach again. Judging from what I saw, she should have a great meet.

I will definitely tell Kass's Mom what you said. I know how important it is to them that people understand Kass's story and make a change in their own life. It can be the simplest thing...an extra hug at bedtime...just valuing the time we have with one another. Courtney is doing well. She is a tough girl! This year Techniques dedicated it's Rockstar Invitational meet to Kassidy. Courtney won first place AA and won the special "Sassy Kassy" award for the highest event score. It was very emotional for everyone. There is a good montage that one of the mothers from the gym put together for her at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u25ka45ls

Hopefully the link works. I am new to all of this youtube stuff!

Thanks for the kind words about my dd. She works very hard and is very determined. We are not allowed to watch practice here so the meet in Canada was my first time to see many new skills. We are very happy with the progress she is making.

Thanks for chatting with me! I am excited to get to know you a little better.

-Felicia

Hi Felicia! Thanks for the kind words re: Katy's routines. I showed her your email and she was just glowing!

The link worked just fine re: Kassidy's floor routines. It brought tears to my eyes... just thinking about the tragedy for that family is enough to break your heart. I'm glad to hear they're doing o.k. and that Courtney is coming along strong through all of this! She's GOT to be a tough little girl. Please do let the family know that they've touched so many more people than have actually signed their guest book.

I wish you had more videos of your daughter! Katy and I love to watch the youtube videos of girls we "know" here on Chalkbucket. It's just amazing how far they can progress... albeit with LOTS of hard work!

As I said before, I don't know how far Katy will go with gymnastics, but as long as she's loving it and progressing, I'll keep supporting her with it. She can't wait to get to optionals.... she's so tired of this compulsory routines! She's HOPING that the gym will allow her to test out of L6 (funny tho, she doesn't have all of her L6 skills, but that's not stopping her "wishing"!)... so she can go to her own routines!

I'll talk to you soon here on the chalkbucket!

-Lynn

Hello Lynn,

I am very anxious about Level 5 state now. I saw that the sessions are posted. Is she starting to get excited? I really think she will have a great meet. I am glad my message made her happy and I am really glad that she loves what she is doing. I know that our old coaches were concerned about how my dd would react to the change in training here, but she still loves it too. I think they were worried that she would feel too much pressure and not find it to be fun anymore but she is okay and I really think she is still having just as much fun.

As for Level 6...I really think that is a common wish:). Level 6 is a tough level, but I think it really does help a gymnast become more polished. That said, my dd did a half season at 6 and a half at 7. She had her 6 and 7 skills but they wanted her to demonstrate that she could successfully compete 6. She scored high enough to score out of 6 at her first meet of the season, but she still competed it from October until December and moved to Level 7 during the Christmas break. Maybe that could be a possibility for Katie if she gets all her skills during the summer. Sometimes our old gym gave gymnasts the choice of competing Level 5 twice and scoring out of Level 6. I guess it really will depend on her coaches and her skills. I am sure you don't have to tell her to work hard at getting them and she may have a better chance. All in all, Level 6 is not that bad and she looks really good so I doubt that she will have a problem at it. I know it is fun to get their own routines. My dd actually scored much better as an optional gymnast. Tell Katie it gives her something to look forward to:)!!!

I am sorry I do not have any more videos on youtube. I left all of her old tapes at home in Virginia so I do not have any more that I can add right now. I will definitely add them if she competes in more competitions. I really do not think she will until summer (July or August). There is not a competition season here and the girls only compete in probably 4 or 5 meets per year. Sorry...I know what you mean though. I am having a blast looking at everyone's dds. They are so super cute!!! I love watching gymnastics. Right now we are going through the Japan Olympic Trials. There were about 10 girls from her gym that were in the 2nd round and 7 of them are advancing to the final competition next month. It is a very exciting time and I love watching them compete. I guess that is one benefit of being here.

I thought of a question...does Katie go to gymnastics camp in the summer?

Okay...I know my messages are way too long so I will go now. Chat with you soon!

Felicia

I haven't been around in a while, but thought that I'd post my address. Dd competed Level 7 this past Fall and States was in January. She had an awesome year!

http://www.youtube.com/user/carone0318

Hope you enjoy!

PS - There are also a couple of videos of her best friend, I think you will be able to figure out who is who.

Thanks for bumping this, I had changed my Youtube account and didn't remember who all I had subscribed to! :D

I'll join in! I am new to youtube so we only have one posted. The girls do not compete in many meets in Japan, but I'll add them when she does. I was very excited to see that some of you are from Virginia. That is where we lived before we moved here!

It is: youtube.com/user/mygirlflipz

Sorry I can't post a link yet...not enough total posts:)!!!

Your dd is amazing!!! She is so spunky! She reminds me of a young Dominique Dawes!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back