WAG YouTube/instagram fame and NCAA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm thinking LemonLime is saying the opposite- basically, no one knows what is allowed for PSA and pre-PSA because the NCAA has issued no such guidance. ie, it may or may not affect their eligibility.

Yeah, I took it as better safe than sorry.

If I'm understanding this correctly, young kids (say younger than 13) can kind of do whatever they want when it comes to endorsing products and services, because they are neither SAs or PSAs? At least according to interpretation of these guidelines?
I'm thinking LemonLime is saying the opposite- basically, no one knows what is allowed for PSA and pre-PSA because the NCAA has issued no such guidance. ie, it may or may not affect their eligibility.

Correct. Pre-PSAs are not allowed to be paid for gymnastics. Amateurism begins from the diaper, but what amateurism means is not always clear because NCAA regulations focus on SAs and PSAs.

The way the NCAA Clearinghouse online form works, the gymnast would need to identify the pre-PSA funding in response to listed questions. After submitting the amateur status certification, the gymnast would need to wait and see if their amateur status was certified by the NCAA. If denied, the gymnast would file a request for a waiver.

Mo'Ne used legal counsel from Chevrolet in advance of accepting money and sought a pre-payment NCAA clearance.

Anyone is free to ask the NCAA for clearance in advance, just make sure to get the NCAA response in writing and not solely over the phone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back