Parents YouTube or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I used to do them as private and try to grant permissions, but relatives of a certain age group never seemed to be able to make accounts. Then, I did unlisted and sent out links, which mostly worked, except that they'd later try to find the video without the email, and couldn't. Now, they're public, and it seems to work fine. Very few people find their way to the videos outside of the emails and Facebook.

Every once in a while, I'll get a notification that someone "subscribed" to my channel, and I find that a bit odd.

The only thing that makes it 'iffy' is the 'other kids' part. Some people, for reasons I don't understand, get pretty up tight about that. I'm in so many other peoples videos that I feel like I should get royalties! ;) And no, it doesn't bother me. I feel like if you go into a public place you will be seen, and all these websites are just public places. As mentioned above, you can always filter the comments. I never do, cause I like to hear how stupid I am, or how much I suck, etc. ;)

I have tons of public videos on youtube of my kids and their team mates at competitions. Parents love it because they can share, and parents who aren't at the meet enjoy watching too. Our coaches have also watched my videos so they can see what is happening from another angle, and from time to time they will use them as a coaching tool.

Our gym also has a media release policy built into the membership agreement. I would think it's something most gyms would have for marketing purposes, but I'm certainly not an expert.

NOT- well, not "not" but no public page for strangers. We have a YouTube account for family and friends to see the kids- but I have no desire or need for DD to garner viewings and anyone to follow her progress by people unknown to her or our family. She is not of an age to consent to that anyhow. I, personally, find it weird when a young child has a You Tube "fan club" what, exactly, is the reason for that? I also try to watch what I name the videos- no meet name, no Level, no age, no child name- very vague descriptions.

I just never name the video, also tag it as something obscure like art and then when it is watched I am done and I pull it down.

I would give videos to the coaches when they wanted them, lots of ways to share without your kid becoming public domain. Once I realised how many lurkers we have on here at any given moment I realised that sharing gym videos really was for college bound kids and not mine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back