Parents YouTube

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
As some of you may know I took down my youtube page. Actually it's still there but you have to have the link to find it.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on youtube . . . for sharing video's of the kids.

I keep most of my videos unlisted. DD gets embarassed if she is not happy with her performance even though her friends and relatives are in awe of what she can do. And I don't have to worry about busybodies and gymstalkers gossiping about each other's kids.

I'm not too worried about crazies and pedophiles- there is so much stuff out there that the chances they pick us to look up are pretty low.

I will put things up for a week (some people whom we really want to share them with are soo lost if they are private , not sure why but oh well) then I put it private when I thinkthey all have seen them.

also when they are on thepublic I search and they seem tobe really low on the list so Ido not worry too much

DD loves for me to post her videos. I am really careful to try no to use anything to identify her in the videos. I try to stay away from using her name, gym name and meet name so that she can remain under the radar.

I don't - infact I beleive over here you have to get permission from all the people who are in your video before you are allowed to post it on a public forum such as the internet. I do post things on the likes of photobucket but password protected.

I keep most of my videos unlisted. DD gets embarassed if she is not happy with her performance even though her friends and relatives are in awe of what she can do. And I don't have to worry about busybodies and gymstalkers gossiping about each other's kids.I'm not too worried about crazies and pedophiles- there is so much stuff out there that the chances they pick us to look up are pretty low.
Just curious. What is a "busybody" or a "gymstalker?" I've always held the position that, if a random stranger and can access your video, then they are free to watch. I have in the past followed those super-talented, level-skipping, uber-up-and-coming, REALLY young gymnasts on YouTube. It's easy to wonder, when they are almost commercialized, what became of them. It's not that hard to gather information on gymnasts based on age, score, meets, team uniforms (albeit one would need to do a lot of homework.) Point is : please think twice before making this information public. We can't really demonize people by calling them "stalkers" or "busybodies" when we choose to make our information so public.

I have also used youtube to put my DD's meets "out there." For a while, I was using the private setting, but as someone else mentioned, my technologically challenged family couldn't figure out how to access them, so I switched back to the public setting. My DD is not a tiny little thing I need to worry about (too much, anyway). There are not really that many "views" on her videos at all. I do delete "friend" requests to her/my channel. And I keep an eye on any "subscribers" to the channel as well.

I definitely agree with Alwayscuriousmom... if we put videos out there to be seen, then we can't have it both ways and then criticize people for watching them! Either put them out there or don't, but know what you're doing!

I put my daughter's meets up on Youtube--I don't list them, but there's out there. And I don't mind people watching her--if I get inappropriate comments, I'll just delete them.

And I watch videos of other gymnasts--I just enjoy watching gymnastics. Can't see a hard in that.

I leave my dd's videos public. I just am not all that concerned about it. I never use last name but I use her first name and her gym is tagged. We don't get many views on the site - mainly family members.

My kids LOVE watching gymnastics videos on YouTube! They don't really have any idea what they're watching, but my 2 year old in particular loves to watch the "baby jump" as she calls it (any child is a "baby" to her).

I don't really have anything to put on YouTube myself but I put my kids pictures up on my blog and on other forums where I post. Strangers having access to my kids photos/videos is not really one of the things that concerns me in life, but I know that some people are really bugged by the idea. If you have your kid in any competitive sport though there is going to be a certain level of exposure -- scores and names and videos posted online -- and of course once they get to higher levels and start competing for college scholarships, or are wanting to attract the attention of big name gyms, well then YouTube can be a pretty useful tool, I would imagine especially if you're from a smaller area without a big gymnastics presence.

I post my dd's videos on youtube. She is older and getting closer to "college time" so I do make her videos public. I do make it that all comments have to be approved by me. I really don't advertise on CB or any other forum that her videos are out there. I also don't mind if someone just comes across them either.

I use the unlisted opotion so only those I send a link to can see them. I think its great for the family and friends that want to see what my DD is doing and can't get to the meets. My mom is old and has a hard time walking and has never seen my DD compete in person but she is able to see her there.

I use the public setting so friends and family can see them (as earlier poster said the link gets confusing). I think I'm careful not to post detailed information (I don't respond if a poster asks about her age, gym, etc.).

DD loves to watch other YouTube videos of gymnasts and I only post them if she scores over a 9 (it's part of her motivation and eliminates potential for any cruel comments). She actually had one video picked up as a "how to" for level 4 bars and has more than 20,000 views. That's really off the chart though - most of her public videos only have between 40 - 50 views.

Just curious. What is a "busybody" or a "gymstalker?" I've always held the position that, if a random stranger and can access your video, then they are free to watch. I have in the past followed those super-talented, level-skipping, uber-up-and-coming, REALLY young gymnasts on YouTube. It's easy to wonder, when they are almost commercialized, what became of them. It's not that hard to gather information on gymnasts based on age, score, meets, team uniforms (albeit one would need to do a lot of homework.) Point is : please think twice before making this information public. We can't really demonize people by calling them "stalkers" or "busybodies" when we choose to make our information so public.

My point was not to make the information so public that the people you don't want to see it can see it. I don't believe I was demonizing anyone- there are people who follow ex teammates solely for the purpose of demeaning or gossiping about them. My post was to say you don't have to give them anything above what they can access without your cooperation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back