WAG Yurchenko Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For some reason I thought the tsuk tuck was a 10.0 start value - and thanks @groovygirl for the heads up it is only a 9.8 SV! I dug this up this below link to find out it needs to be a pike for a 10.0 SV - and this has other SVs too which is interesting.

L6/7, L8 vault start values: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx03_level6_8vaultvalues_0916.pdf

And for fun:
L9 vault SVs: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx02_Level9Vaults_0916.pdf
L10 vault SVs: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx01_Level10vaultchart_0916.pdf

Well she got an 8.1 with her timer, and placed on vault with it ( not top 3 obviously but got called up) Such a big difference from Level 7 to Level 8 score and placement wise. There was a lot of terrifying vaults in L8, but the Level 10 vaults from LaFleurs were so fun to watch.

I thought I'd give ya'll an update. Sounds like no one is ready to compete the yurchenko at the next meet. So, they will all compete FHS instead of the timer with the end goal of hopefully qualifying for state. DD's coaches believe the judges haven't fully worked out how to score the timer and they believe the FHS will score high enough to get the girls what they need to qualify (note: most were close even with the timer so even a tenth or so will help). Once they qualify they will keep plugging away with the yurchenko/timer for the rest of the season.

gymmie had never done a time to her feet until the meet. Her warm up attempt to flip wasn't close that day (she did land one at the mock meet) so they told her to do a timer to her feet. so she did 1 in warm up and 2 in the comp. got an 8.1. I was glad they let her be safe. She's hoping to be ready to flip it again at the next meet. (she qualified for state at that first meet, so that is out of the way)

I thought I'd give ya'll an update. Sounds like no one is ready to compete the yurchenko at the next meet. So, they will all compete FHS instead of the timer with the end goal of hopefully qualifying for state. DD's coaches believe the judges haven't fully worked out how to score the timer and they believe the FHS will score high enough to get the girls what they need to qualify (note: most were close even with the timer so even a tenth or so will help). Once they qualify they will keep plugging away with the yurchenko/timer for the rest of the season.

Do your girls not do the Tsuk before doing the Yurchenko? That is the standard progression at our gym, although I have no idea if that is common or not. A piked Tsuk has a 10.0 SV and a tucked Tsuk has a 9.8 SV. My dd is currently doing it tucked and has placed quite well with it, often even above girls doing the pike.

They all compete the Yurchenko unless there is some other reason why the gymmie is unable to do it (ex, fear or recurring injury or they just can't get it). They used to do drills for Tsuks but haven't in a long, long time.

"Do your girls not do the Tsuk before doing the Yurchenko? That is the standard progression at our gym, although I have no idea if that is common or not. A piked Tsuk has a 10.0 SV and a tucked Tsuk has a 9.8 SV. My dd is currently doing it tucked and has placed quite well with it, often even above girls doing the pike."

Yes!! This is SO TRUE here! In level 8 here the only ones doing Yerchenkos are the girls that should be in 9 but couldn't get either bars or beam. I'd say 95% of level 8's here do Tsuks! Funny how area's are different. I bet it's b/c of scoring and team scores. They work yerchenkos in practice but don't compete them till 9.

I think it is interesting that tsuks are so looked down upon. They require a lot more power from what I am told and the SV is the same as the yurchenko, regardless of the position in the air. Why is the tsuk the "ugly stepsister" in vaulting?

For many girls, it's harder to achieve vaults that will score well at L10 or NCAA with a Tsuk entry. So if the goal is vaulting in college gymnastics or stellar scores at the top levels, coaches often want to start training the Yurchenko early. For example, look at Alabama's vault lineup...
(4 Yurchenko 1/1s and 2 Yuchenko 3/2s)

For many girls, it's harder to achieve vaults that will score well at L10 or NCAA with a Tsuk entry. So if the goal is vaulting in college gymnastics or stellar scores at the top levels, coaches often want to start training the Yurchenko early. For example, look at Alabama's vault lineup...
(4 Yurchenko 1/1s and 2 Yuchenko 3/2s)

These girls can really VAULT! Never seen a Tsuk in our gym- we are very D1/elite focused gym- not in our progression at all. Kids who can't Y by level 8 can do timers or scratch- we have never competed a FHS in Level 8 yet. The vault is the major determiner for transition for 7 to 8 for most years at our gym- sometimes its bars but usually they can throw some sort of pirouette by the first meet so that usually isn't the sole factor.

A lot of girls in our gym do tsuks, definitely not the ugly step sister! The group my DD trains in is mostly younger TOPs kids. All they do is Y drills. She aged out of TOPs this year, but is still training with them. The optional group has a mix of Yurchenkos and tsuks.

My experience from watching L8 meets so far is that there are a lot more scary tsuks than there are yurchenkos. Like almost all those kids landing on their knees, face planting, hitting their heads on the vault, etc. - they are attempting a tsuk when bad stuff happens. Usually the yurchenko style flip vaults are either good or what happens is that the kid falls back on their butt after landing on their feet (which is a lot less scary than a knee landing or face plant).

My theory on it all is that a Yurchenko generates a lot more power so it's easier to flip them, either that or that the kids doing yurchenkos are just better vaulters.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back