WAG Yurchenko Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
Does anyone know for sure if the Yurchenko timer for Level 8 is a 9.0 start value now? My DDs coach thought it had been changed, and then a judge came in this week and said no it's still a 7.4 SV. Her first meet is this weekend, and she hasn't done a FHS in months. She's flipping the vault onto a mat in the pit, but it's not comp ready yet.

I don't know any of the technical stuff, but for various reasons my DD ended up competing one level 7 meet at the last minute at the beginning of her first level 8 season. I was really worried because she hadn't practiced a FHS vault in ages. Well, it was a thing of beauty. I think that they do FHS for so many years and that it is so "easy" compared to working the yurchenko, plus they've been really working on getting a lot of power for the yurchenko, that they don't really have any problem nailing that FHS vault. So if you find out that she DOES need to do a FHS, I think that you'll find that it's at least as good, if not better, than it was when she was a level 7. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. We've only had one meet so far this year, but I didn't see anyone doing timers.

DD has two L8 meets under her belt. She and the rest of her team competed timers at both. The scores were all in the mid-high 7's. In meet #1 about 1/4 of athletes competed timers. In meet #2 about 1/3 competed timers. I got the impression from DD that they were all disappointed in how low the scores were (coaches too) but once you started watching other vaults the scores really weren't all that low. L8 vault just seems hard!

I'm surprised they'd all score that low with a SV of 9.0. DD's current vault (Yurchenko entry with a half twist off... not yet flipping) only has a 9.1 SV and she scores pretty consistently in the mid 8's. Maybe since competing the timer is a new thing the judges haven't quite figured out how they want to score it yet.

I'm surprised they'd all score that low with a SV of 9.0. DD's current vault (Yurchenko entry with a half twist off... not yet flipping) only has a 9.1 SV and she scores pretty consistently in the mid 8's. Maybe since competing the timer is a new thing the judges haven't quite figured out how they want to score it yet.
I was going to say similar about how low they seem. When dd was a L8, girls competed FHS and would score mid 8s, with a SV of 9.0. They almost always scored higher than girls who flipped but fell.

Yeah, the timer scores were lower than what I was expecting too and I too wondered if it's because the judges aren't used to it yet. And it's especially disappointing because DD's team is strong on vault. It also means this is the first time that DD didn't qualify for state at the first meet of the season. Many of the kids who flipped and fell still got lower scores so to me in the end it seemed about right. Onward though! More motivation to flip that vault onto a mat! DD is more or less ready so hopefully it will come together for her at the next meet.

DD has two L8 meets under her belt. She and the rest of her team competed timers at both. The scores were all in the mid-high 7's. In meet #1 about 1/4 of athletes competed timers. In meet #2 about 1/3 competed timers. I got the impression from DD that they were all disappointed in how low the scores were (coaches too) but once you started watching other vaults the scores really weren't all that low. L8 vault just seems hard!

You said it best: L8 vault just is HARD (and sometimes scary to watch).

And a few weeks ago at a meet we learned a kid can vault at L8 and get a zero. During both attempts at a tsuk, a gymnast landed on her knees before anywhere else, so that voided the vault entirely (not even the courtesy score of 1!!).

I am learning A LOT watching L8 sessions this season - things are getting much more interesting and exciting now!!

You said it best: L8 vault just is HARD (and sometimes scary to watch).

And a few weeks ago at a meet we learned a kid can vault at L8 and get a zero. During both attempts at a tsuk, a gymnast landed on her knees before anywhere else, so that voided the vault entirely (not even the courtesy score of 1!!).

I am learning A LOT watching L8 sessions this season - things are getting much more interesting and exciting now!!
wth, seriously? You mean she flipped it, but then landed on her knees so they gave her no score?
That just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, botched landing. But shouldn't the vault count for something?
....that's a head scratcher for sure....

yeah, level 8 vault is brutal. It was scary to watch and I can not emphasize how happy I am, now at level 9, to see my daughter consistently landing an upright vault. Such a relief!

If your knees touch before your feet it is a VOID. This is actually more common than you would think at this level because they are just learning to flip a vault and it is so hard.

Prepare from sore ankles. It hurts so bad to land short!

The sevens don't really surprise me if they aren't getting good block and flight off the board. scores in the 8s with the flip were very common, even when you landed it so with a 9.0 start value, a seven doesn't seem that out of the ball park.

Mary - your dd's vault must be beautiful to be scoring in the mid 8s from a 9.1 start value. a 9.5 flipped vault looks like a thing of beauty. Powerful, high, dynamic and upright great landing.

yeah, level 8 vault is brutal. It was scary to watch and I can not emphasize how happy I am, now at level 9, to see my daughter consistently landing an upright vault. Such a relief!

If your knees touch before your feet it is a VOID. This is actually more common than you would think at this level because they are just learning to flip a vault and it is so hard.

Prepare from sore ankles. It hurts so bad to land short!

The sevens don't really surprise me if they aren't getting good block and flight off the board. scores in the 8s with the flip were very common, even when you landed it so with a 9.0 start value, a seven doesn't seem that out of the ball park.

Mary - your dd's vault must be beautiful to be scoring in the mid 8s from a 9.1 start value. a 9.5 flipped vault looks like a thing of beauty. Powerful, high, dynamic and upright great landing.
Dang...that just bites. You would think they could at least get a 6 or something, seeing as they did everything but the landing...
(thinking aloud from a parent who has a child that has never stuck a vault landing in her life, even when the vault was decent...). I guess it makes sense though. Glad mine isn't on this level!

It's a safety measure to try to discourage "chucking it". It still happens though and you will be positively terrified the first time you sit thru L8 vault...it is something to see. It is a very good thing to have the option of doing the timer -- anything to allow them to progress more safely is a blessing.

I think the "to the knees voids it" is a good rule. Saw an entire team of kids flipping piked Yurchenkos that they had no business flipping at all at our last meet. I'd be surprised if they make it through the season without a significant injury. The lowish scores for timers aren't too surprising either -- if they had more power and elevation coming off the table, they'd be flipping. It's not a vault you do for the score; it's progressive and should lead to good things in the near term future!

That is a standard international gymnastics rule.

Vaults are void and score a zero if any of the following occur

1. Hands don't touch the vault table
2. The vault does not land feet first
3. Gymnast takes a 3rd run approach (ie if they run past the table the first time they can vault again as long as they don't touch the board or the table, they can't do this a 2nd time)
4. If no safety collar is used for vaults that have a round off entry to the board

As said above, so many vaults receive landing deductions that can really add up even if they make it to the feet. Distance from the table, chest position and steps or hops. Many times a great FHS will be a barely made flipping vault, but it's all about experience! (As long as they are safe)

DD is competing 8 for the first time this weekend. I understand they had that one vault rule thing going on last season. Is this still in place?

DD is competing 8 for the first time this weekend. I understand they had that one vault rule thing going on last season. Is this still in place?
Apparently not. I hadn't heard that it had changed, but at the one meet DD went to everyone was taking two turns.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back