WAG Yurchenko Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, so thankful the old L8 vault rule is GONE - now it is back to gymnasts can do 2, and the best score counts.

At our first L8 meet this season, however, all of us parents had no idea what was going on - it made for quite the interesting vault rotation to watch when no one was sure of the rules!

wth, seriously? You mean she flipped it, but then landed on her knees so they gave her no score?
That just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, botched landing. But shouldn't the vault count for something?
....that's a head scratcher for sure....

Nope. Not in any level that requires a two-foot landing. Except in Excel and AAU.

That is a standard international gymnastics rule.

Vaults are void and score a zero if any of the following occur

1. Hands don't touch the vault table
2. The vault does not land feet first
3. Gymnast takes a 3rd run approach (ie if they run past the table the first time they can vault again as long as they don't touch the board or the table, they can't do this a 2nd time)
4. If no safety collar is used for vaults that have a round off entry to the board

Actually, they can touch the table or run right into it, as long as they don't achieve vertical, unless it's their third approach.

I would think they would want to be a little less stingy with the scoring on timer vaults to actually encourage teams to use them if their vaults just aren't ready. There are some scary Yurchenkos out there at level 8, and if a gymnast's barely to her feet, ankle crunching- tucked Yurchenkos are out scoring solid timers on track to turn into good Yurchenkos over time, why bother stepping back to a timer?
So purely from a safety standpoint, I would think judges would want to reward safe and solid timer efforts over out of control attempts to flip.

I would think they would want to be a little less stingy with the scoring on timer vaults to actually encourage teams to use them if their vaults just aren't ready. There are some scary Yurchenkos out there at level 8, and if a gymnast's barely to her feet, ankle crunching- tucked Yurchenkos are out scoring solid timers on track to turn into good Yurchenkos over time, why bother stepping back to a timer?
So purely from a safety standpoint, I would think judges would want to reward safe and solid timer efforts over out of control attempts to flip.

I hope that norm develops. It happens on the boys' side sometimes -- good FHS or Yamash!ta halfs were often topping scary flipped tsuks in L8 last year.

Nope. Not in any level that requires a two-foot landing. Except in Excel and AAU.
Slight correction... Not landing on the feet first is a void vault in Xcel (for levels that are not flatback vaults). The USAG exception is actually levels 4 & 5 where it is a 2.00 deduction (or 2.50 if the gymnast lands on the vault table).

Really? I thought they couldn't touch the vault.
The balk rule changed for last season to allow anything that didn't go vertical to count as a balk. It changed again this year so that the gymnast can touch the table but not come to support on top the table. So last year going to almost handstand before stopping/stepping down onto the table was a balk, this year it is a void vault; same with a "penguin slide" across the top. Stopping the run a bit too late to miss the vault and running chest-first into the vault and stopping like that is a balk last year and this year.

"Slight correction... Not landing on the feet first is a void vault in Xcel (for levels that are not flatback vaults). The USAG exception is actually levels 4 & 5 where it is a 2.00 deduction (or 2.50 if the gymnast lands on the vault table)."

I meant it's a 0.00 except for Xcel and AAU. They have courtesy scores. I was referring to the atarment that "shouldn't the attempt count for something?"

Does anyone know for sure if the Yurchenko timer for Level 8 is a 9.0 start value now? My DDs coach thought it had been changed, and then a judge came in this week and said no it's still a 7.4 SV. Her first meet is this weekend, and she hasn't done a FHS in months. She's flipping the vault onto a mat in the pit, but it's not comp ready yet.

doesn't sound right.

That is a standard international gymnastics rule.

Vaults are void and score a zero if any of the following occur

1. Hands don't touch the vault table
2. The vault does not land feet first
3. Gymnast takes a 3rd run approach (ie if they run past the table the first time they can vault again as long as they don't touch the board or the table, they can't do this a 2nd time)
4. If no safety collar is used for vaults that have a round off entry to the board

I keep reading this, and #3, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Each gymnast gets 3 tries. They can balk on the first two and still get a third attempt. But that's it. It's not void just because it's the third attempt, only if they balked 3 times or made the first vault and then balked on the next 2 approaches. There are still several other ways to void a vault and score a 0.0. o_O

Unless the timer vault is onto a mat stack or raised surface and going to the back, a good scoring yurchenko timer is a long way from being a good flipping yurchenko.

Unless the timer vault is onto a mat stack or raised surface and going to the back, a good scoring yurchenko timer is a long way from being a good flipping yurchenko.
I think allowing timers onto mats will be a big step in the right direction as far as safe progressions towards flipping vaults, but for this season, this is as good as it gets. I think it's still far preferable to competing a terrifying Yurchenko, and good experience for those kids who are hoping to flip by season's end. Both posters who mentioned their child leaning in this direction stated that the child was close to having the vault competition ready, so I was under the assumption we weren't talking flat, fall over the top Yurchenko timers. Though I do imagine they sort of need to kill the power a bit to land safely and successfully which makes for sizable deductions.

level 6 mom here with a kid working on the yurchenko in the gym (using the baby vault) - why is it only a 9.0 start value at level 8? FTR - I am going to step "outside" for vault come level 8 after having read this thread. lol.

What is a yerchenko timer? Sorry, clueless here! I thought all girls in L8 did Tsuks and that it was a requirement? In my daughters L8 meets most do Tsuks (the youngest ones do tucks not pikes) and the girls closer to being a L9 (say they didn't make it b/c of beam or bars) do flipping yerchenkos. Pretty much no one does a FHS or they seem to get killed score wise. My daughter does the tuck Tsuk which is only a 9.8 SV and she ends up in the mid-high 8's. Not the best but for the youngest age group that is usually 1st-3rd place.

What is a yerchenko timer? Sorry, clueless here! I thought all girls in L8 did Tsuks and that it was a requirement? In my daughters L8 meets most do Tsuks (the youngest ones do tucks not pikes) and the girls closer to being a L9 (say they didn't make it b/c of beam or bars) do flipping yerchenkos. Pretty much no one does a FHS or they seem to get killed score wise. My daughter does the tuck Tsuk which is only a 9.8 SV and she ends up in the mid-high 8's. Not the best but for the youngest age group that is usually 1st-3rd place.
LV 8 can do a tsuk or yurchenko. I think it just depends on your area as to what you will see most of. Our coaches strive for the yurchenko and only resort to a Tsuk if the child isn't making progress, but that is just our gyms philosophy.

A yurchenko timer is going to be bhs entry, block off the table, but no flip.

Both posters who mentioned their child leaning in this direction stated that the child was close to having the vault competition ready, so I was under the assumption we weren't talking flat, fall over the top Yurchenko timers. Though I do imagine they sort of need to kill the power a bit to land safely and successfully which makes for sizable deductions.

Yes, my DD has to kill power with the timer in order to stick the landing. She's been flipping it onto a mat (not onto a mat in the pit) since late November; she just lacks consistency which is why she's not competing it yet (maybe next week?). Some other gyms would have her chuck it. I'm glad the timer is an option this year; she can get some confidence doing the round of entry vs the old FHS fallback.

DD's gym competes yurchenkos. There are a few doing tsuks but they have other circumstances where the yurchenko didn't work for them.

Yes, my DD has to kill power with the timer in order to stick the landing. She's been flipping it onto a mat (not onto a mat in the pit) since late November; she just lacks consistency which is why she's not competing it yet (maybe next week?). Some other gyms would have her chuck it. I'm glad the timer is an option this year; she can get some confidence doing the round of entry vs the old FHS fallback.

DD's gym competes yurchenkos. There are a few doing tsuks but they have other circumstances where the yurchenko didn't work for them.

Our gyms motto too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back