Coaches Yurchenko progressions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Hi all,

One of my gymnasts is ready to begin learning yurchenko vaults and I'm more than rusty on the progressions and technique required. It's been a very long time since I last had anything to do with teaching one and none of our gymnasts has ever competed one. I am a co-head coach and the other head coach is in exactly the same boat as me!
So, here I am looking for progressions and technique pointers!
So far all I've done with the gymnast is a roundoff onto the springboard and a stretch jump off! I was focused mainly on getting her hurdle and roundoff square. I didn't want to go any further because I wasn't sure what the next progression would be, however I've just watched a video of Al Fong teaching progressions on youtube so I have some idea of where to go next but is there any more I can add?
this is the video

Main question for my next session with her: What position should the gymnast be in when they land on the springboard? I want to say they should be leaning slightly forwards, the opposite to forward entry vaults, but wanted to make 100% sure before I told my gymnast!!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
no. their body should be in a perfect vertical line with the feet directly under the hips. the subsequent jump/punch from the board is a vertical jump. a forward angle on the board is the angle for blocking on the floor. you'll go up. feet to far forward/under and they lean back to far and they go down and forward the table. it's a vertical jump/punch to a whip back. simplest way to visualize what you must look at and easiest for the kids to understand.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back