Coaches Yurchenko Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bumblebee462

How do you guys determined where the hurdle starts for the RO's in yurchenko vaults ...

I don't use a hurdle line. But I teach a long hurdle, short round off.

place velcro or gym tape at 25 feet from the table. measure from the end of the tongue, not the center of the pedestal. they should begin hurdling around this metric.

if they put their hurdle foot down to far past you know to back them up little at a time. if they are to short, you know to move them up little at a time.

place velcro or gym tape at 25 feet from the table. measure from the end of the tongue, not the center of the pedestal. they should begin hurdling around this metric.

if they put their hurdle foot down to far past you know to back them up little at a time. if they are to short, you know to move them up little at a time.
just curious why you pick 25 feet ... I just like to know especially if I'm ever showing anyone and they ask me why 25 ft. It sounds good to me I will do this but just like to know.

because a really efficient round off travels about 25 feet from that hurdle line to the punch on the board.

because a really efficient round off travels about 25 feet from that hurdle line to the punch on the board.
Thank YOU!!!!! I know I ask a lot of questions but I like to be able to understand why things are done the way they are not just told "Do it like this" thank you sounds good!!

So I have a question - I was watching a Gymnastike video today that showed a workout at Buckeye Gymnastics. On vault the coach was saying they are no longer teaching the long hurdle technique into round-offs for Yurchenkos. Instead, they are using Mas Watanabe's idea of a shorter hurdle and getting the round-off turned over as fast as possible.

Anyone seen the video or have a comment on this?

Mas Watanabe's encourages everything shorter anf faster ... he says that about robhs's on floor.

"Long" R/O is partly due to the full-out maximum speed of the run and that the turnover impulse of the R/O support leg needs to be applied. R/O turned over "quick" has everything to do with the desire to increase angular momentum.

Just a couple of quick adds to the thread:
A straight leg hurdle can work to minimize a pike in the R/O. See the Tammy Biggs vid below:

Great drills for Yurch posted on youtube by Mary Lee Tracy, Cinc.Gymnastics.
R/O Basics:

Drills:

Very timely is your question Palm Tree for me. I spoke to our coach staff recently about Yurchenko vaults. Our athletes are preparing for big meets, end of their season, and the need to be more focused per athlete. In our discussion of the challenges of each athletes vault performance (on vid) we worked thru a lot what is the "ideal" and what is "efficient." The athlete performing a Yurchenko vault increases angular momentum as they come onto the spring board with a higher angle. You increase the downward momentum by landing the RO (higher angle than trad HS) at a high angle. (You get 4 chances at increasing angular momentum - jumping with their feet in the run up, springing with their hands on the run up, with their feet on the springboard and finally with their hands off the table.) Once off the table you can not gain angular momentum. Now the athlete must rotate and flip. ... long winded above...Suffice to say, we mostly identified the R/O and pre-table flight as our biggest coaching challenges.

Long hurdle distances - This reminds me to watch the Vault vids put up by Mostepanova Fan on Youtube. Check out Vault Guide 2 for Yurch. vaults. I love the vids this user posts up.

SGB -

Last edited:
Ah so long hurdle short RO ::laughs::
I don't know, after talking to some really good Vaulters and coaches I guess it depends on the gymnast and what works best for them. I also was told that the double bent leg hurdle was more efficient for the RO ... I guess just trying to figure out what works best.

I don't know, after talking to some really good Vaulters and coaches I guess it depends on the gymnast and what works best for them. I also was told that the double bent leg hurdle was more efficient for the RO ... I guess just trying to figure out what works best.

well, yes. both knees should be bent on the push off so that you can push off BOTH feet in to the kick. the most common mistake is having the front leg straight cause they want to only 'kick' the back leg and do NOTHING with the front. :)

well, yes. both knees should be bent on the push off so that you can push off BOTH feet in to the kick. the most common mistake is having the front leg straight cause they want to only 'kick' the back leg and do NOTHING with the front. :)
Gotcha :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back