Parents Advice please - squad selection!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Ebbs19

Proud Parent
Reaction score
First of all, I'm very new to the whole gymnastics thing. My DD is 8 and has been doing gymnastics since May (a late starter I know). She loves it, never stops bouncing round the house or cartwheeling down the street. In the summer she was invited to join the developmental squad as she had been noticed by two of the coaches. She has her front and back walkovers, BHS, can do cartwheels on the beam and seems to love the bars, being the first of the group to pick up back hip circles, etc. I have no idea where this places her in relation to others as we have no experience. She was entered into a competition and came 2nd to a girl who has been going to rec class for 4 years and who was also selected for the dev squad. There was only two tenths between them so to me that suggests they are of a similar skill level.
However we have just found out that our DD is not going to be progressing to squad but the other girl is. Now I don't want to sound like a pushy, crazed mother but we have no idea why? The only difference between them is the length of time they have been attending. In my eyes if my daughter has the same skill set as the others in such a short space of time, surely that shows she is a quick learner and has some natural ability? She has been doing ballet since before she was 3 and it has always been commented on how she holds herself and how she finishes every move and always has the straightest legs and pointiest toes!
We don't seem to have been given any answers, should I keep pushing for one? I know places on the squad are limited and I don't want to go to the gym and put my foot in it and harm any chance she has of progressing further.
Has anyone got any advice on how clubs spot talent, how they make their selections or what we should do? I'm not saying that my DD is the most talented but I think her progress in such a short period warrants the opportunity to see how good she could be and if she is not given the opportunity she's going to be too old.

I am guessing the coach sees the other girl much more then you do and probably is better able to judge.

As a parent who has no gymnastic experience, much less coaching and judging experience I tend to leave it to the coaches. But I also will ask the coaches too, because I tend to like to know the end of the story, so to speak :rolleyes:

Sorry but I was in no way implying that my daughter should have been given the opportunity over someone else, but was asking for advice about how children are selected and what I could do give my DD the best possible chance to find out if she could be good. I know I have absolutely no experience with gymnastics but we have been given no solid reason why. All I was saying was it would have been nice to know why and then we'd have something to work from.

ebbs19...... Take it easy, just give it time.......the insanity of this sport is just beginning and no amount of intervention will make it any easier......just let it be, and let your DD make her own mark with her coaches.

All coaches select their way....some see one thing, some see another. In the end, the talent always makes it through.

Hi Ebbs19, I will defer to people from the UK to better answer your question about squad selection process there (I'm in the US). From what I've read on here, it can be different than the US, as well as different between gyms. And I don't necessarily agree with the attitude that just letting everything be is the best route, and talent will naturally always prevail. Although that would be the ideal, I have seen that not be true. I have seen parents have to ask and advocate for their child to be given opportunities. This was definitely true in our case (also a bit of a late starter).

Generally, asking for clarification from the people who make the decisions seems reasonable. If you have already asked, and were not given a straight or satisfactory answer, then that is disappointing. I'm not sure if there are other gyms in your area where your daughter my have a try out for another perspective on her potential?

At any rate, she sounds like she is doing fabulous with the skills in a short time! Good on you for trying to learn about the paths, and help your daughter pursue her passion. I knew nothing when I started, too, so I sympathize!

It very much depends on the club and the pathway they follow.

Check out the threads about the UK system.

For the elite pathway she would be considered too old. It does seem that to pass your coaching exams you need to loose all ability to communicate with parents sometimes , lol, I would ask her coach what the pathway to competitive gym is in you club, or you might want to PM some of the UK members who know lots about lots of clubs in the UK to see where your club lies.

Sorry but I was in no way implying that my daughter should have been given the opportunity over someone else, but was asking for advice about how children are selected and what I could do give my DD the best possible chance to find out if she could be good. I know I have absolutely no experience with gymnastics but we have been given no solid reason why. All I was saying was it would have been nice to know why and then we'd have something to work from.
No didn't think you were. There is no set formula. Truly it would be better to ask the coach, as in your coaches at your gym.

So was it that she was invited to join the squad (along with the other girl) originally and then they changed their mind? If so that would upset me. Or did they move the other girl up to a higher level squad than the one they were already in? In that case there could be all kinds of reasons. If the other girl has been taking for four years, it may simply be that she is more well conditioned and that they want to give your dd a little longer on the squad she is on to build muscle tone, etc. Sometimes it can come down to form. Sometimes maturity. So many other things besides talent come into play. If it is really bothering you I don't see the harm in just politely asking if there will be other opportunities to move up anytime soon.

First, it sounds like your dd is doing awesome!
Second, there is that saying, you'll never know if you don't ask.
So ask.The other saying is if you don't ask, you won't get.
So....ask. but accept what you get with grace. You may very well be with these coaches awhile. Good luck.

Two tenths is a valid reason to question the decision

I've sat there and mentally questioned a coach's decision of who to put on team. But 9 times out of 10, it's not based on what skills the gymnast has right now, but based on how much potential they have in general. They can see things that us mere parents can't, and more often than not they are right.

Best thing to do is have a quick chat with your DDs coach, ask if she has the potential for team and see what they say.

Follow your instinct though, we had one club (here in uk) that fobbed us off for 12 months saying they were just waiting for a space on team to free up, until I realised they said that to all the parents who asked about team ;)
And remember, there's no harm getting a second opinion from another club....

Where in the UK are you? What kind of club is it? Do they have elites, mainly rec, floor and vault?

Generally there are two types of club. Gyms that produce elites, or have ambitions to produce elites, invest a lot of time and effort into those kids. They will have squad kids who compete regionally, but a lot of the time these kids are amazing, these gyms have their pick of the best so you have to be fairly outstanding to make squad.

Gyms without elites often have more time to invest in regional kids, have bigger general squads, and aren't aiming at elite so don't pick the kids that will win everything. A good work ethic and nice kids to work with and take to comps is just as important.

Unless your child has ambitions to compete elite (and unfortunately, in the UK, she wouldn't even be considered for that pathway) it's often better to find a smaller gym where she can be one of a few good ones, have more of a life balance, and it can be a far less intense/competitive experience.

To be clear, it was the other girl that placed first, correct?

And that is the girl they are taking............

First of all, I'm very new to the whole gymnastics thing. My DD is 8 and has been doing gymnastics since May (a late starter I know). She loves it, never stops bouncing round the house or cartwheeling down the street. In the summer she was invited to join the developmental squad as she had been noticed by two of the coaches. She has her front and back walkovers, BHS, can do cartwheels on the beam and seems to love the bars, being the first of the group to pick up back hip circles, etc. I have no idea where this places her in relation to others as we have no experience. She was entered into a competition and came 2nd to a girl who has been going to rec class for 4 years and who was also selected for the dev squad. There was only two tenths between them so to me that suggests they are of a similar skill level.
However we have just found out that our DD is not going to be progressing to squad but the other girl is. Now I don't want to sound like a pushy, crazed mother but we have no idea why? The only difference between them is the length of time they have been attending. In my eyes if my daughter has the same skill set as the others in such a short space of time, surely that shows she is a quick learner and has some natural ability? She has been doing ballet since before she was 3 and it has always been commented on how she holds herself and how she finishes every move and always has the straightest legs and pointiest toes!
We don't seem to have been given any answers, should I keep pushing for one? I know places on the squad are limited and I don't want to go to the gym and put my foot in it and harm any chance she has of progressing further.
Has anyone got any advice on how clubs spot talent, how they make their selections or what we should do? I'm not saying that my DD is the most talented but I think her progress in such a short period warrants the opportunity to see how good she could be and if she is not given the opportunity she's going to be too old.

Firstly there could be many reasons why this has happened. They may only have one space at the moment. Your dd may be next on the list.

They may want her to stay in development squad for a few months more to catch up with some strength or flexibility.

It could be that although she mastered the level she just competed well , she might not yet have what she needs for the next level she would need in squad. (Maybe the other girls has but I would stress try not to worry about her. She has been coming 4 years and she won the comp. Sounds like she is ready to move up). Parents do find this hard although to coaches it can look really obvious. Winning one level does not mean you are ready for the next. And it does not mean you will get the moves at the same rate as others who may have placed below you. Different moves, different requirements, different strengths , different weaknesses, different progress.

Yes you should ask. Ask if your dd is doing ok? Ask if there might be a possibility for her to move to squad in the future? Ask when this might be? Ask if she would benefit from any conditioning or stretching at home? Ask what she is doing well/ struggling with? Say she is really keen and you would love the chance for her to be in the squad. Let it be known and then leave it there. And apologise for seeming like a nutter, that always helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back