Parents And so it begins...starting on The Team tonight!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

StringBean'sMom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Our journey into the gymnastics world continues as my daughter starts team practices tonight. We will be adding 8 hours of practice to our week (coming up from TWO currently!) so I'm enjoying a quiet cup of tea in peace and quiet before this big change to our routine (and budget...must got the estimate of costs for competitions next year...oh my!). Thankfully our gym is very close to home, so at least I won't be adding a ton of commuting time!

it should be an interesting first few practices. Our gym is very small and very new - last year was the first year with a competitive team - only 5 level 4 girls! I think there are close to 15 girls joining the team now....and two new coaches in charge! It'll be a big change for the current team girls. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly - most of the new girls will be "new" level 3 next year, but they've said a few (my girl included) have good potential to get the skills to be "new" level 4 with the returning team girls. After nearly every practice lately, her commentary includes "I almost had my kip!" I'm learning a whole new language...lol!:p I thank you all in advance for helping my learning curve!

Good luck with team! Your gym sounds like ours 2 years ago--just starting out. There was only prep rookie that year, and then last year we had 10 level 4s. That's it. Its pretty incredible to see your team be all "homegrown" gymnasts and watch as they develop from the beginning upwards. FWIW, there will likely be some growing pains, especially with parents who don't know anything about competitive gymnastics and also have no experienced parents to go to. Point them toward the Chalkbucket! Hopefully your coaches are awesome and approachable. Based on my experience as one of those two new coaches in charge (and I came in mid-year last year!), please ask questions. I have had many great conversations with parents the past year + since I've been there. Many of these have revolved around gaining an understanding of what their kids are doing and why. It can be difficult to see rec kids working on harder skills sometimes, while your child is doing a drill repeatedly, but team is all about the perfect form and developing skills, strength, and flexibility in a way that will be even more important down the road.

Our coaches are great and very approachable - a real blessing! I have bugged with lots of questions so far and they are so easy to talk to. She just started gymnastics last summer at the "older" age of 9 but has been learning and advancing SO fast - I've had to scramble to keep up with her progression in the sport! Thankfully, her coaches are very open with the parents. It also been nice to not have the "small fish in a big pond" feeling - it's fun to know we are helping to grow this gym and in part, create our own atmosphere. I only hope the gym growth keeps up with her growth. Our space is quite small and doesn't have a lot of the equipment for training higher levels. I know we have a LONG road before we get to those things (IF we get to those things), but I know that stuff is expensive for the gym to get too - it's the goal of the owner to grow to a larger space with more training equipment, but who knows how long it will take him to get there financially! I really like the coaches and parents here, so I really hope we can all continue to grow together!

Funny enough, I'm looking forward to seeing her get to do more drills and focus on form. She's still learning the concept that just getting the BHS over without bonking your head doesn't entirely mean that you "have" your BHS....there's a lot of work on making it look good too! Not a lesson any kid hears well from mom, so adding more focus to form in practice will be good for her.

Good luck with your journey! It is a lot of fun and a lot of work!

Hey, congrats on your dd making the team! I remember how excited my kids were when they "moved up" to team (and how nervous I was!!) They are finishing up their 3rd competitive season- they still love it, and I'm still nervous, lol!! Buckle up and enjoy the ride!!

That's awesome! I hope you enjoy the ride. I have found it to be truly magnificent!!!! I've learned a ton and met some really great people. And you'll do the same! Just steer clear of the Nellies and CGMs lest they lure you into their lair. :-)

Congrats and good luck! We just finished our first season with DD and it was fun, nerve-wracking, expensive and totally worth it! This is my first experience with uptraining really, and I'm trying very hard to not be a worry wart. Our gym in new too and growing. I'm excited to see what DD can accomplish this summer and where she will be come fall :)

Hope she has a great first week of practice! :)

Made it thru the first practice! She was all smiles....until conditioning at the end ;) It was a fun practice to get to watch - I won't normally be there until the last half hour to pick her up, so it was nice to get to watch this one. I think she was surprised at how much harder practice was - between the length of the time and harder conditioning, she was one tired little girl. Bedtime has never been so easy!

I remember the adrenaline from that first team practice had my daughter doing skills that neither she nor I thought she could do. Congratulations to your dd! Enjoy the ride - it is fun!

My daughter just moved up as well - I think! She was invited to join the USAG team with more to be revealed. I assume that means the "new" level 3. She is six (will be 7 in August) and very excited. Right now she is with her new team still doing four hours a week but with an emphasis on conditioning (which she actually likes - for now) I am glad to hear that your daughter adjusted well to the longer hours. I have a feeling my daughter will too, but who knows! Well, I hope to hear more about your daughter's progression and experiences. Best wishes!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Congrats to your daughter for joining her team, too! Mine did have a little reality check on Friday - she has picked up skills amazingly quickly to this point, so unfortunately she has come to expect fast results with new skills. She needs to learn how to develop patience and persistence as skills get tougher - she needed a little pep talk from coach during open gym ('cause, of course, Mom trying to talk her through it just makes her mad!). It's an important lesson to learn for life in general, but a tough one for mom to watch sometimes!

There will be lots of ups and downs on this road, but so far she is still game for it. We went to watch an NCAA region championship last night (4 hours of gymnastics!) and today I caught her rewatching a recording of the Big Ten gym finals from a few weeks ago. She may be tired and a little frustrated, but is still a gym obsessed girl!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back