WAG Are mobility scores verified?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

ShawneyBee

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Are Mobility scores verified by USAG or is it basically the honor system? It seems some gyms move kids up that barely meet the minimum mobility requirements, which is on the lower end of what is needed for success these days. Then there are some gyms that hold gymnasts on a level who score well in to the 36+ AA and those kids come back and compete at states and regionals the following year only to score 38+. It seems pretty unfair to gymnasts who go to gyms who follow the mobility guidelines. I understand some kids have trouble getting their skills for the next level, but it seems pretty unfair for an athlete scoring a 37 to come back and repeat the level and beat the field by 1-2 points. In those cases gymnasts should continue training to the next level and refrain from competition until ready to move on to the next level. Holding kids who meet the mobility to gain competitive advantage should not be allowed.

A good handful of gymnasts often meet the mobility score at the first meet of the season, or first meet of a new level. That doesn't mean they have all their skills for the next level, though. It's one thing to hold a gymnast back strictly for competitive advantage. Often times gymnasts need an extra year to prepare for the next level. Gymnasts should never be pushed to the next level if they are not yet ready. And forcing them to not compete is also insanely unfair to the gymnast.

I totally agree with you. I am not talking about gymnasts who qualify after a meet or two. I agree with staying on a level for a complete season if the coaches feel it’s necessary. I’m talking about gymnasts who compete an entire season, and do well at states, and regionals, and then they still repeat the same level the following year. Technology has made it so many know if a gymnast scored a 36.5 at last years regional meet, and now they’re back to get a 38 because they only placed 4th at states/regionals. Hmm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back