Parents Are we crazy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gwenmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
We live in a very rural area. Dd is currently a member of her team at her gym but it drives both me and DH how relaxed the team is about training form (I've posted about this before). DH works about 45 minutes away in a major town and I've been offered a job close by as well.

If I accept it it means moving this summer and a more competitive gym for DD. So basically we are uprooting our lives for our 7 yo DD gymnastics. She loves it and is extremely competitive it it just hit DH and I that we are moving for gymnastics and that may be slightly crazy!

Are you really moving only for gymnastics? you will be closer to your dh's work and if the job you were offered is a better one, then you are also moving for those reasons. I think people do move for things like this, just probably not very often.

Yes, I guess I would ask yourself, "How would I feel if she quit gymnastics?" You don't want her to feel like she can NEVER quit because you made these sacrifices so that she can train at a certain gym. I know we all think (myself included) that our daughters will never quit, but the reality of it is that most do. Is she your only child? If there are other kids who will be uprooted from schools/friends/activities, that would be a major consideration for me as well.

Agree with Mary--look at how you'd be with the move if she decided to quit gymnastics (it happens even to kids who seem totally committed at a younger age!). And it sounds like a major part of the move would be for your husband's work too--so it's not all about the gymnastics.

Thanks everyone. DH work (and my career) are also a big part. We almost moved to the same area a year ago when I had another job offer but couldn't find a house we liked. That was even before DD was on team.

I do have an older child who is actually all for moving. He's not a country boy lol and loves more urban areas.

Thanks everyone. DH work (and my career) are also a big part. We almost moved to the same area a year ago when I had another job offer but couldn't find a house we liked. That was even before DD was on team.

I do have an older child who is actually all for moving. He's not a country boy lol and loves more urban areas.

Sounds like a move is good for the entire family then!

Sounds like it could be a good move then. It may be wise to think of it (and tell everyone including your kids) that you are moving for work and take gymnastics out of the equation. Then transferring to a more competitive gym can be a fringe benefit, and not "the reason." This will take any perceived pressure off of your daughter. Also be aware that starting at a more competitive gym can have its whole own set of issues and adjustments too.

One thing I'd check on is the gym- have her try it out, be evaluated, etc-- make sure she makes the team.

One thing I'd check on is the gym- have her try it out, be evaluated, etc-- make sure she makes the team.

Oh, definitely. It would be awful if you moved, discovered the new gym wasn't a good fit for her, and ended up commuting 45 minutes to your OLD gym!!! :eek:

Well, I know you have been exploring this for a while and it sounds like things are falling together and this would be a good move for your whole family. I tend to agree with what everyone else has said. Make sure the move is about you and work and what's best for the family and not about her gymnastics, that's just a bonus.

Also, if you are coming south instead of north of you (making an assumption here, sorry if I am off base) then I would recommend visiting several of the gyms down here that would be within commuting distance of your work and make sure you find the best fit. I know you liked a certain gym based on going to optional states and I can guess of one of a couple that that would be and they are great. But there are several north of the city that are very good and visiting a few different ones to make a good decision sounds like a sound idea as they all have different feels, coaching styles and philosophies. Also, the school districts/schools are of varying quality so I would keep an eye on that as well.

A competition is just a single glance into a gym. There are several gyms around here that have great optional gymnasts with compulsory programs that seem to be struggling a bit, so how does that effect the future optional program should your daughter get that far. There are also several programs that have smaller optional programs or teams but are building a great foundation for future success.

A competitive program is a full picture and so individualized to the gymnast and parents. It's not only about competition results but also training environment, philosophy, where the club has been and is going and what your daughter needs in a coach and how it all feels in your gut when you sit in the viewing area and how she feels when she is working there day in and day out. I know gymnasts and parents who are very happy at all these quality programs, big and small. It's all about finding the right fit for your daughter and yourself.

It sounds like you have the possibility of an exciting family adventure ahead. Good luck with your decision!

Well, I know you have been exploring this for a while and it sounds like things are falling together and this would be a good move for your whole family. I tend to agree with what everyone else has said. Make sure the move is about you and work and what's best for the family and not about her gymnastics, that's just a bonus.

Also, if you are coming south instead of north of you (making an assumption here, sorry if I am off base) then I would recommend visiting several of the gyms down here that would be within commuting distance of your work and make sure you find the best fit. I know you liked a certain gym based on going to optional states and I can guess of one of a couple that that would be and they are great. But there are several north of the city that are very good and visiting a few different ones to make a good decision sounds like a sound idea as they all have different feels, coaching styles and philosophies. Also, the school districts/schools are of varying quality so I would keep an eye on that as well.

A competition is just a single glance into a gym. There are several gyms around here that have great optional gymnasts with compulsory programs that seem to be struggling a bit, so how does that effect the future optional program should your daughter get that far. There are also several programs that have smaller optional programs or teams but are building a great foundation for future success.

A competitive program is a full picture and so individualized to the gymnast and parents. It's not only about competition results but also training environment, philosophy, where the club has been and is going and what your daughter needs in a coach and how it all feels in your gut when you sit in the viewing area and how she feels when she is working there day in and day out. I know gymnasts and parents who are very happy at all these quality programs, big and small. It's all about finding the right fit for your daughter and yourself.

It sounds like you have the possibility of an exciting family adventure ahead. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you. As usually, you have great insight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back