WAG Atlanta area gym recommendations please

• Thread starter Thread starter GAmommy
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
G

GAmommy

Can anyone recommend good gyms in the Atlanta area? My dd is currently taking rec classes at a nearby gym and she has been invited to be on their team. I'm not sure whether the current gym's team program is "good". So, I want to check out some of the good area gyms before we decide what we want to do. Thanks!! :)

Where in Atlanta are you?

I tell you what. We were up against Ga Elite this past weekend and those girls were AMAZING! But I think they are out by Athens.

We are in the Sandy Springs area. I will look up Ga Elite. Thanks!

Define for yourself what "good" means to you. There are some excellent gym programs in GA. I have seen some teams with great results at meets. However, I also witnessed a coach being verbally abusive with young gymnasts at a meet (L7, but young- 8-10 year olds). Team scores, placements, performance at meets are only going to tell you part of the story. You need to know if the philosophy of the gym is a good fit for you and your dd. I highly recommend observing team practices, both the beginning levels and optional levels.

If you search " looking for a new gym" on the top right. You will find lots of threads. Many many people have searched and there is some great advice in our threads.

We were up against "Sandy Springs Stars" recently and they scored really well and the girls all seemed to be having fun.

There was a gym (Northwind) that I saw at Ozone back in January and their optional girls scored well (great form, I remember). I think they are in Alpharetta?

Define for yourself what "good" means to you. There are some excellent gym programs in GA. I have seen some teams with great results at meets. However, I also witnessed a coach being verbally abusive with young gymnasts at a meet (L7, but young- 8-10 year olds). Team scores, placements, performance at meets are only going to tell you part of the story. You need to know if the philosophy of the gym is a good fit for you and your dd. I highly recommend observing team practices, both the beginning levels and optional levels.

At this point, I have never been involved with a gymnastics team. So, I am not sure what "good" means to me - I need to figure that out. I would definitely like to observe some practices. I hope to visit several gyms so that I can get a feel for the different philosophies of multiple "good" gyms. Thanks!!

Tuck n Tumble are very good. Dd competed twice against them.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

As far as Atlanta traffic goes ... you know stick close to home if possible. I think The G's are at Sandy Springs Stars now right? I would think they would provide a solid foundation and room for growth.

North Metro Gymnastics is in Roswell/Sandy Springs. Theyve hosted two meets, plus the XCel state meet this past weekend.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

At this point, I have never been involved with a gymnastics team. So, I am not sure what "good" means to me - I need to figure that out. I would definitely like to observe some practices. I hope to visit several gyms so that I can get a feel for the different philosophies of multiple "good" gyms. Thanks!!

I didn't have a clue when my dd started team that there were even different philosophies at different gyms. Thankfully the gym she started at is a "good" gym for us. It was very eye-opening as we started attending meets and seeing what else is out there. And, I think it is very hard as a parent, because most of us have no idea what "good coaching" is technique wise, so we are left with doing our best and making sure that the gym's philosophies line up with what we want. I have also learned that for some gyms their stated philosophy is not the actual lived-out philosophy.

I feel like there are lots of good gyms in the Atlanta area, some that I know people in are:

Georgia Elite
Atlanta North Stars
Georgia All-Stars
Northwind
Gymnastics Academy of Atlanta

I don't know a lot of the coaches, and haven't seen a lot of the girls at meets, but I've personally heard good things about each of the above gyms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back