Gymnasts Backward Tumbling Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

GymGurl102

Gymnast
Reaction score
So this season I am moving up levels into gold and one of my coaches really wants me to compete a roundoff back handspring and I am literally terrified. I have done it on the tumbl trak with mats but never on the floor. My other coach, however, has realized that I am not much of a backwards tumbling kind of girl so we are working on fly spring step out front handspring. Im not sure if it will ever progress into anything, like the back handspring would, but for the season at least I think I should compete the forward connection. Also, I keep whipping the back handspring instead of going back. I am trying really hard to lean back and not lead with my butt in the roundoff but nothing is working. Any ideas of how to fix my shape? And what tumbling pad should I do, or how to decide? If anyone has any at home conditioning for kips also that would be great. 😊

Front tumbling can progress to quite a lot of things. But if you are capable of I'd rather try a front handspring to 2+flyspring, which could be very progressive for a future handspring+layout. I'm not familiar with excel code, though, and I'm not sure if that's allowed.
Keep working steadily on the back handspring but with no pressure and trying to get comfortable. Fears sometimes prevent gymnast from doing the right technique as their are too afraid. I'd try to perfect it in a situation you are comfortable (mats, spotting,...)
Good luck!

Front tumbling passes for gold:
Front handspring stepout - front handspring (2 flight skills)
Front handspring stepout - roundoff (2 flight skills)
Front handspring - flyspring ... it might be easier than the flyspring stepout front handspring (2 flight skills)
Front tuck (isolated salto)
Front handspring - front tuck (2 flight skills ... with a salto)
Front tuck - dive roll (salto ... the dive roll is NOT considered a flight skill, but my YG found it a handy way of avoiding a deduction on her front tuck when she had too much power on landing)
Front pike (isolated salto)

Front tuck - dive roll (salto ... the dive roll is NOT considered a flight skill, but my YG found it a handy way of avoiding a deduction on her front tuck when she had too much power on landing)
Wait that is such a cheat code haha. I didn't know that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back