Off Topic Cheer Perfection

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Reaction score
Has come to the UK

:eek:

OMG - Please tell me that its hammed up for the cameras - its like a horror movie - but strangely compelling

for UK viewers its on TLC 8pm

Oh, dear me....they exported that crap? It IS like a horror movie...don't let it suck you into the vortex!

ha ha ha

My only knowledge of cheer is from American movies and tv. It all seemed harmless good fun to me. Although I did even watch US national years ago and it was quite good.

But I managed to get caught up in a fairly major cheer comp here recently and OH. MY. GOD. I dont know if its a recent thing or movies like bring it on tone it right down to sensible levels...or top level is quite different to local comps...

THE BOWS. What is with that? Minnie Mouse has nothing on the people.
THE MAKE UP. Full stage blue eyeshadow and red lips, without the benefit of stage lighting.

not to mention the fists, the nodding and other weird stuff.

Although if that's the general standard in the uk, the us has nothing to worry about!

My only knowledge of cheer is from American movies and tv. It all seemed harmless good fun to me. Although I did even watch US national years ago and it was quite good.

But I managed to get caught up in a fairly major cheer comp here recently and OH. MY. GOD. I dont know if its a recent thing or movies like bring it on tone it right down to sensible levels...or top level is quite different to local comps...

THE BOWS. What is with that? Minnie Mouse has nothing on the people.
THE MAKE UP. Full stage blue eyeshadow and red lips, without the benefit of stage lighting.

not to mention the fists, the nodding and other weird stuff.

Although if that's the general standard in the uk, the us has nothing to worry about!

Cheer Perfection is horrifying. I spent many, many years in the all-star cheer world and even I cannot watch that crap.

In the sport, I see stage makeup a lot, but often times, there is full stage lighting to deal with. All-star cheer comps are usually in big halls that are darkened and big spot lights on the stage. Some teams do go way overboard, as with anything, but I compare it to a dance performance in that way. Part of cheer is the performance aspect.

The bows are just a part of the culture. Outside of it, you don't understand it, but it's all in good fun. I know girls who have 50+ bows, wear them to practice, etc. It doesn't hurt anyone.

There are some great regulations coming through the system regarding uniforms (no crop tops is a big one) and other performance things that aimed at increasing the legitimacy of the sport for the athletic activity that it is and minimizing the "circus" atmosphere that can surround it.

Here's a video to one of the top programs in the area. This video is of a junior age (14 and under) level 4 (out of 5--highest running tumbling allowed is a layout with no twisting). http://youtu.be/-BCek2r6oa0

It's very different from gymnastics, but it's a ton of fun and really promotes team as well as individual achievements.

But the show Cheer Perfection? I wish they'd take it off the air. It highlights everything wrong. Can you imagine what a show about gymnastics would be like with a gym with lots of drama? Goodness gracious,

WOW can't believe they sent that to the UK lol. I can't watch their tumbling :eek: it scares me to death!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back