Parents clueless...

• Thread starter Thread starter Jane
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
J

Jane

OK guys I have no clue how scoring works with gymnastics. My child received a .5 deduction for not connecting her tumbling pass. Her coach said she lifted up her leg during the cart wheel round off connection. That coming directly from the judge because they didn't understand why she scored so low so they asked the judge. I agreed with that until I got home and looked at the video.
I feel crazy because I can not see it....can you? Maybe it wasn't her leg but was her dropping her arms in the pass?

I do not want to be the crazy parent and send this to her coach. So i will ask all of you.

She received a 9.5 VP credit...can someone explain to me what that means?

before you watch, she did have a black out and forgot the ending to her routine lol. She did not get deducted for that.

She is Xcel Bronze

Ah don't sweat it, sometimes it doesn't make sense. She did a lovely job and is cute as a button. I am sure at the next meet she will not get the same deduction and you'll get something new to stress over.

We have all been there by the way. Some meets drove me nuts.

Ah don't sweat it, sometimes it doesn't make sense. She did a lovely job and is cute as a button. I am sure at the next meet she will not get the same deduction and you'll get something new to stress over.

AW thank you! Gymnastics is tough when it comes to judging. It would be nice if they came with score sheets like cheerleading does.

What does Vp credit mean?

Sorry I meant SV start value. what does that mean? Since we are at it what does VP credit mean?

SV is start value. In the US the highest SV you can have is 10, if you are missing required skills for you level your start value will be lower.

VP I am assuming is value part, that would be a skill. So if she was missing a jump, a turn or an acro, the value of that skill is taken from the 10 before she is scored for how well she did the routine.

Judging is very complicated. You do learn as you go along, but sometimes we are all scratching our heads. Routines go by real fast and it does take a well trained eye to do a great job.

Bearing this in mind the rest of the world use F.I.G. scoring, and rules, and that is way more complex than the 10.

SV is start value. In the US the highest SV you can have is 10, if you are missing required skills for you level your start value will be lower.

VP I am assuming is value part, that would be a skill. So if she was missing a jump, a turn or an acro, the value of that skill is taken from the 10 before she is scored for how well she did the routine.

Judging is very complicated. You do learn as you go along, but sometimes we are all scratching our heads. Routines go by real fast and it does take a well trained eye to do a great job.

Bearing this in mind the rest of the world use F.I.G. scoring, and rules, and that is way more complex than the 10.

OK so to my understanding she was deducted .5 from the starting value which was 9.5? Or She was deducted .5 which made her starting value 9.5 then she was deducted .6 for other various reasons? Her ending score was 8.9
What have you seen in her routine that wold grant more deductions besides the connection pass? Not sure if you are familiar with the US bronze level rules or not. If you are I would love to hear what you think

I think you will find that the 0.6 in deductions is a whole lot of tiny things. We call it being tenthed to death. Flexed feet, bent knees, legs apart when they should be together. Poor rhythm, not finishing with music and any other number of deductions that can be take. 0.6 in deductions is actually very little.

If 9.5 was her SV then she was missing a skill or connection that is worth 0.5 in your system. Though most systems work the same, even FIG though it's deductions are far larger. The 0.6 in deductions are taken from the 9.5, giving her the 8.9 score.

If anything I would say her jumps are low, but it really is something she will improve on over time.

Cartwheel roundoff is connected. The leap pass is not. Your coach probably misunderstood or maybe you thought the coach meant her CW RO when they meant the leap.

Cartwheel roundoff is connected. The leap pass is not. Your coach probably misunderstood or maybe you thought the coach meant her CW RO when they meant the leap.

The rules say the following
"
  1. Dance Passage with a min. of 2 Different Group 1 VP or Xcel Bronze chart skills (direct or indirect)

with one LEAP w/ a 60° cross or side split. "

Doesn't that "direct or indirect" mean the leap pass doesn't have to be connected?

Hall of faim,what a brilliant idea to use that song as floor music.My kid would love that.

Hall of faim,what a brilliant idea to use that song as floor music.My kid would love that.
I'm glad she liked it because she originally wanted to use Gundam Style. HAHAHAH
I did a good job of convincing her this song was better. She loves it

I don't know what passes she has to have for bronze; but for .6 deductions I can see how that adds up. I'm not a judge (just a mom ;)); but I saw some flexed feet in her cartwheels. Those flexed feet will get you every time!

I don't know what passes she has to have for bronze; but for .6 deductions I can see how that adds up. I'm not a judge (just a mom ;)); but I saw some flexed feet in her cartwheels. Those flexed feet will get you every time!
Yes user where she would of gotten .6 in deductions. Pointed toes. Jumps and leaps not high enough.
What I'm trying to figure out is where the .5 in her connection pass what taken out. The judge said to her coach that she lifted her left up in the connection to the cartwheel round off. I just don't see it.

I don't see it either. But she's so adorable. Next meet will be better!

IMO she maintains a continuous movement in both tumbling passes. How do you feel about her other scores? Were they lower too or do you feel they were more accurate? I don't understand judging & I do not envy them! Scores tend to be lower at the beginning of the season too. We have experienced some scores that we didn't agree with, on the high and low end. I hope she wasn't too disappointed, though! It will get better!

The jumps should be connected immediately, or with a dance passage, is what Gymdog wrote. There should be no stop between them. That is the 0.5 off her SV.

Direct or indirect means that they immediately do one jump right after the other or they chasse or dance into the second jump. She clearly stopped so lost there.

I can empathize... my OG is Xcel Gold... last meet, her SV on Beam was 9.0 because she lost her connections... the judge was a stickler for connections. But what we wook away from it was that the judge only found 0.9 in actual deductions in her routine (with a big wobble on her full turn), so she has the potential of scoring over a 9.
If the judge only took 0.6 off on her actual skills, she could potentially have earned a 9.4 - which is GREAT, imho.

Good luck in the rest of the season and feel free to join the Xcel social group if you havent already :)

"
  1. Dance Passage with a min. of 2 Different Group 1 VP or Xcel Bronze chart skills (direct or indirect)

Doesn't that "direct or indirect" mean the leap pass doesn't have to be connected?

She did leap, stop, straight jump which almost didn't count (but they probably would). It wasn't directly or indirectly connected. I had to watch another time to recognize it as a leap pass. I'm 100% sure about it. If they took connection on the CW RO and gave connection on the leap, then your state has two really bad judges who we're sitting next to each other. I think it's a lot more likely the judges got misunderstood because I doubt two judges would both make such a big error simultaneously.

"

I would take this to mean that the leaps need to be directly connected, immediately one after the other, or indirectly connected, 2 leaps within the same dance passage.

I'll chime in here. I would connect the cartwheel to roundoff no problem.

I would not have considered that a dance passage because she definitely stopped before the straight jump.

She had a second acro connection that didn't help her because the 3rd cartwheel counts for nothing. You may do a skill only 2 times and have it count as long as you enter or leave it differently.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back