Parents Connecting RO & BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My daughter, 7, just learned her standing BHS. She is on xcel bronze and it's not a skill that is focused on. If it's practiced I never see it. I am not at practice very often so I don't really know other than what my DD tells me. I asked DD's coach and she said it's because they would just be coaching my daughter. No one else is ready. She suggested a tumbling class (offered at her gym) for her to learn to connect her RO and BHS so she can compete it in the fall. Her coach said a standing BHS is more difficult than a ROBHS so she should be able to master it within a month. Other girls on her team will likely be doing forward roll forward roll though. From my understanding she must have it perfect to compete. What is the deduction on tumbling passes? How do I find out about deductions? This is our first year doing several competitions. Last year she was on novice team and competed in one competition. So I am pretty clueless.

I don't know the answers to your questions but I will be following this thread b/c my daughter also has a standing BHS but needs to get her ROBHS by Sept in order to compete (level 3). I'm hoping it only takes 1 month!

My advice? Don't worry about deductions. You're the parent, not the coach. That's her coach's job. You'll learn about deductions soon enough simply by being at meets. More importantly, it sounds like your daughter is ready for way more than her Xcel team is offering her. Is Level 3 an option at her gym? Do you have other gyms around you she can be evaluated at?

At dd's gym, bronze is the equivalent of level 1-2. Girls who finished level 2 and go to Xcel do silver. But we definitely have bronze girls doing ROBHS too. If none of your bronze girls are doing ROBHS, are the girls in silver working on ROBHS?

My dd competed in a novice level last year (level 2) & moved to bronze this year. I believe that all of the silver girls have ROBHS. We don't practice at the same time as them so I really don't know.

It seems to me that it would be a good idea to see if she can practice with the Silvers and maybe move up?

My DD was Bronze last year and competed ROBHS. They do work on them, but she also takes a tumbling class at her gym (highly recommend).

We switched gyms in the middle of the season last year. I just assumed her coaches knew best. I have seen silver working kips, high bar, and back walkovers on beam and I know she hasn't practiced that. How do you approach coaches about moving up?

We switched gyms in the middle of the season last year. I just assumed her coaches knew best. I have seen silver working kips, high bar, and back walkovers on beam and I know she hasn't practiced that. How do you approach coaches about moving up?

Well, coaches DO know best! But if it is going to continue to be a concern for you then maybe you could approach it by asking what she needs to be able to start training Silver. Not really come right out and ask about moving up. I have been in a position something like yours and I just trusted things even though I was a little bothered at first (it's important for the coaches to know you trust their expertise as well as very important for your gymnast to know that YOU trust the coaches). My DD is at a WONDERFUL gym and I have great trust in the staff. She had a great year. Maybe you would have the same outcome? Maybe put her in tumbling for the Summer so she can work on her ROBHS & in the Fall they can put her in Silver. In the end, you have to figure out what's best for you and your DD. A nice conversation asking their plans for her while also letting them know you trust them will put your mind at ease.

Well, coaches DO know best! But if it is going to continue to be a concern for you then maybe you could approach it by asking what she needs to be able to start training Silver. Not really come right out and ask about moving up. I have been in a position something like yours and I just trusted things even though I was a little bothered at first (it's important for the coaches to know you trust their expertise as well as very important for your gymnast to know that YOU trust the coaches). My DD is at a WONDERFUL gym and I have great trust in the staff. She had a great year. Maybe you would have the same outcome? Maybe put her in tumbling for the Summer so she can work on her ROBHS & in the Fall they can put her in Silver. In the end, you have to figure out what's best for you and your DD. A nice conversation asking their plans for her while also letting them know you trust them will put your mind at ease.

Good idea! Thanks!

Our bronze are all required to do a robhs. The girls who had a standing bhs seemed to put them together pretty quickly, but they did drill it a lot the summer before. Once they got to October it was all about the routines, although DD did work a lot on cleaning her up between October and January when meets started.

You do not need a ROBHS for Bronze.

But as with any skill, if there are options in a level, doing the more difficult one doesn't give you more points.

Whatever skill you do you must do well.

So a clean BWO will score more then a not so pretty/clean ROBHS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back