Off Topic Convincing Parents

• Thread starter Thread starter dreamergymnast
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
D

dreamergymnast

I really want my parents to build me a home bar, but they won't do it because we don't have a backyard. I' know this sounds crazy, but can you give me some tips on how to get my parents to move to a place with a backyard? Has anyone dealt with this before (although I highly doubt it)? Thanks :)

a) a home bar isn't a good idea. Bar skills aren't safe to be doing at home. You could get a doorway bar to condition on, but anything more than that should stay in the gym.

b) people usually live somewhere they can afford. My dd would love a basement for her own gym, but it won't happen unless we win the lottery or something. I doubt your parents are living in a house without a backyard just so you can't have a home bar. Probably the most likely way you are going to get them to move is to give up gym, get a job and save a lot of money. It'll probably take you a good few years :)

You don't need a home bar. All you should be doing at home is conditioning and stretching.

Try to convince your parents to get a chin up bar for a door in your house. ;)

They are already paying for your gymnastics. Don't plead for a new house. Houses are expensive and even though they know it won't happen your pleading may make them think you are not satifisfied with what they are already doing to you. It can put them under stress

Your info says you're in Rockville, MD. Zillow.com says the median home price there is $426,000 (meaning that half the homes cost more, half cost less than that). Even if you have a home to sell, and you're just moving from one $400,000 house to another $400,000 house, the costs of moving can be roughly estimated like this:

Realtor commissions: 7% ($400,000 x 0.07 = $28,000)
Legal/title fees: $3,000
Mortgage origination fees: $3,000
Inspections: $500
Movers: $2,000

That's more than $35,000 to move to a same-price house in your area. That's 4 years of in state tuition at the University of Maryland and more than 2 Toyota Corrollas.

Or, that amount could be used for 5-6+ years of gymnastics tuition. Just condtion, condition, condition.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back