Parents Curious - is this typical?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

suebee

Proud Parent
Reaction score
If there were 2 or more training groups for a particular level on team and these training groups were not considered equivalent (either more training days/hours or a "higher" group), would your coaches let parents know that the groups aren't the same and provide an type of explanation for why their child was placed in one group vs. the other?

Would the coaches mind parents asking about the groupings if no information was provided, or is this considered to be overstepping?

Our coach is pretty communicative about the gymnasts and why they are placed in which groups.

To me, I think that coaches, just like teachers and doctors, should only explain why their child is where she is but not talk about the skills that other children might have. So if a parent begins comparing their child to Suzie Tsuks-a-Lot, then the coach needs to steer the conversation back to Round-Off Rhonda and what she is doing only.

As for coaches minding, I wouldn't think so but then I've heard some crazy stories about coaches and their relationships with and attitudes toward parents that I guess I understand why some parents might be hesitant to ask. :(

Ours has different training groups for the same level, where some have more hours, and I honestly have no idea why. My DD just keeps asking to add hours, and has worn the coaches down. Ha ha. I do wish there were known guidelines if kids want more hours, but honestly most kids seem content as-is.

Yes this happens at our gym. As far as talking to them about it, I guess it depends on the situation. Our coaches pretty much put the kids where they feel they will be the most successful. I imagine we could ask them but frankly from what I have seen, it is what it will be. That said, they will change things up if they feel that needs to happen too. I kind of operate on the philosophy that there is a method to the madness (lol) and leave it alone. FWIW, this is said by someone whose DD was NOT in the higher hour group one year, then moved to a higher hour group the next. I am also prepared that she could be moved to a lower hour group too! I just try to roll with it and most importantly stress to DD that she should just work hard, listen to her coaches, and make the most of WHATEVER practice time she has. IMO that is the most important thing to remember. :)

Our coach is pretty communicative about the gymnasts and why they are placed in which groups.

To me, I think that coaches, just like teachers and doctors, should only explain why their child is where she is but not talk about the skills that other children might have. So if a parent begins comparing their child to Suzie Tsuks-a-Lot, then the coach needs to steer the conversation back to Round-Off Rhonda and what she is doing only.

As for coaches minding, I wouldn't think so but then I've heard some crazy stories about coaches and their relationships with and attitudes toward parents that I guess I understand why some parents might be hesitant to ask. :(

Suzie has come a long way since struggling with her kip. LOL

Our gym has done something very similar for the summer. We have 2 groups for the same level. It seems that the division was done by work ethic and what girls would be best together. One of the groups has what seems to be the girls that are maybe less mature, more likely to cry and complain. Then the other group all seem to be the more mature girls. Last year my dd spent so much time "babysitting" other gymnasts during rotations. I am excited to see what new opportunities will be available to her with the new groups for summer schedules. I should add that both groups will be training the same level and both have the 14 hours a week for practices.

Coaches tend to get it right more often than given credit for. Consider them self absorbed and egotistical when they decline to chat it up, but consider the question you're about to ask and then think of this....

Coaches are pretty invested in doing all they can to train their gymnasts well because they want to have every chance to field a team that competes on par with the teams their peers bring to meets. Putting kids into groups that "hold them back" doesn't happen outside the context that there are finite resources available to satisfy infinite dreams, reasonable goals, and satisfy each parent's need to know their child is being train as well as can be done withing a team setting that considers...... the big picture.

We have several groups in our gym. One select group is placed in the program that has more hours and is geared towards getting girls collage scholarships and producing elite gymnast. This is a invite only group and you are only asked to be in it if you are very young to begin with and have a natural talent for gymnastics at a young age and are coached by the head coaches. You can't ask to be in this group, you need to be invited.

The other groups are broken down by levels and seemingly age. Smaller girls in a level are together with one coach and bigger girls are in a level together by a different coach. Not all girls in a group are in the same level either, we have some compulsory and optional girls together. I guess it too hard for the coach to keep changing the uneven bars if small and big girls are together.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back