DII and DIII?

• Thread starter Mack_the_Ripper
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

I know I am never going to be a DI gymnast: I started in 8th grade and am now a junior in high school, level 7. But I know nothing about any other possibilities of continuing gym after high school, for fun and exercise and maybe competition if that is possible.

-What level are DII and DIII gymnasts when they enter college?
-Do II/III gymnasts compete?
-On college sites I see something called 'club gymnastics'. What is that?
-Do I have any more options for continuing gym?

Scholarships are not an important factor, since I have a good chance of getting an academic scholarship.

I would say at your age (Jr in HS) and level, your most realistic option would be club gymnastics...these are teams that have girls at their schools that still want to do gymnastics but they are not part of the whole D1/2/3 system. I believe URI (University of Rhode Island) has a club team that was formed after the school decided to discontinue its D1 gymnastics team (and their swim team too...it was a title 9 issue) ....the girls on that team are in the Level 7-8-9 range (they are judged with the L9 rules) and seem to have fun....they do compete (against other club teams, I imagine) so that type of scenario might be an option for you. You can find out more info on this at Your Page Title ...it talks about what schools have these clubs and their set up.

Most of the girls recruited by D2/D3 schools are L9/10. We have several in our gym right now that have gone to look/try out at D3 schools and have gotten very favorable feedback about being on a team next year. One D3 coach told a few girls that on occasion they do have a L8 girl on their team---usually someone who actually has L9 skills on 2 events.

As Bookworm said, there are TONS of college that participate in the NAIGC program. They even have a national meet each year. This may be the same link that bookworm posted: NAIGC This should answer all your questions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back