Parents Dismissal

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Jstoller

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hi fellow gymnasts parents,
We participated in booster club last year and received a payout over $1,000.
2 questions:
1. I became unemployed and tried using the credit on our account for hee grips and a leo. I was then told by coaches that wasn't allowed. Is this legal?
2. Our gym released my daughter. (with no explanation) Is that booster money mine? Or the gyms?
In the booster handbook is does say if you leave the gym funds will be redistribute to group. But we did not leave on our own choosing.
Is there anything I can do to get that money?!

When we get a refund due to fundraising, it is applied to our meet fees the following year. I don’t thing that they can give you a cash payout because that would violate 501c3 rules. I think you are basically out of luck. Sorry

Did you pay into the account (I know some booster clubs have you pay assessments), or was it just from fundraising?

If just from fundraising, that reverts back to the club regardless of how you leave (and there are some other legalities around having individual accounts if you are a 501c3).

They did actually have a membership due fee at the beginning of the booster year. But yes 95% of it was from fundraising.

Can the gym actually tell you how you spend your booster credit?

Depends on what type of booster club it is. If it is a 501c3, the gym should have no say. But you should also probably not have individual accounts. In that case, the 501c3 board and the bylaws state how the money is spent. Ours does not pay for grips, and only pays for uniform leotards and singlets. So there are guidelines on how the money is spent.

They did actually have a membership due fee at the beginning of the booster year. But yes 95% of it was from fundraising.

Can the gym actually tell you how you spend your booster credit?

It's likely that the purchase of leos vs meet fees are handled by different entities. At our gym, previously the boosters handled meet fees but leos were actually through the gym, so you couldn't use any booster credit towards leos.

If you are a 501c3 your gym cannot legally have seperate accounts. Therefore the money belongs to the booster. This is not money that is "yours".

It's likely that the purchase of leos vs meet fees are handled by different entities. At our gym, previously the boosters handled meet fees but leos were actually through the gym, so you couldn't use any booster credit towards leos.
Ours worked the same way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

The Shaposhnikova Skills in the 2025-28 CoP

Back