WAG Does anyone know what's happening?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

JustAGirlWhoLovesGym

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am in need of some possible answers and/or experiences because I have somehow hurt my ankle under very mysterious circumstances, and I would like to find out what could be happening. Let me start from the beginning...

6 or 7 months ago, I rolled my ankle at home just walking basically, but it only hurt for like 5 seconds and then it was perfectly fine. The next day at gym, I did something to hurt it (maybe a weird landing or something- I can't remember what it was, but I remember that the outside of my ankle popped and started hurting). I shook it off a little and got through the rest of practice without significant discomfort, but it really started to swell up, get painful, etc. when I got home. I rested it for about a week before it felt ok to practice on, and it gave me no issues after that.

Well, recently, the same ankle has been acting strange. Sometimes when I go on walks, especially on uneven terrain (rocks, sand, etc.), it will suddenly feel a bit painful and like it has to pop. It is weird because this is a random and inconsistent occurrence, and if I sit down for like 5 minutes the sensation will be gone after that. It never gave me any problems at gym and was not happening often at all, so I ignored it. After a run-of-the-mill day on Wednesday (today is a Saturday, for reference), I went to bed and woke up on Thursday to a pain in my ankle similar to what it felt like recovering from the injury I previously described. It did not get better as the day went on, and may have even gotten worse. It was throbbing in my shoe all day, and by 2 or 3 p.m., I was limping. When I took off my shoe, the skin right under my ankle bone was swollen and painful to the touch. It hurt a lot to walk on it and even if I was just standing for long periods of time. I stayed home from practice to rest. It was significantly better on Friday and significantly better today, but there is still a lump under my ankle bone, and there is still pain if I press on the area, point it to hard, etc.

It just baffles me because this literally happened in my sleep. No funny landings, no sickness, no other injuries, and the pain was isolated to that single area. The popping is concerning to me, though. So, I have no idea what's happening, but I do have a few theories:

1. Something to do with my previous injury? They were in the same spot and the pain felt the same.
2. Could something have popped out of place? My ankle was popping and only a small area was inflamed.
3. Could it even be an autoimmune/stress response? I won't elaborate too much, but it would be a reasonable explanation based on my personal circumstances.

Does anyone have any other ideas or have any experiences with getting injured under mysterious circumstances?? If so, what did you do?
Thanks!

Hi guys! I am in need of some possible answers and/or experiences because I have somehow hurt my ankle under very mysterious circumstances, and I would like to find out what could be happening. Let me start from the beginning...

6 or 7 months ago, I rolled my ankle at home just walking basically, but it only hurt for like 5 seconds and then it was perfectly fine. The next day at gym, I did something to hurt it (maybe a weird landing or something- I can't remember what it was, but I remember that the outside of my ankle popped and started hurting). I shook it off a little and got through the rest of practice without significant discomfort, but it really started to swell up, get painful, etc. when I got home. I rested it for about a week before it felt ok to practice on, and it gave me no issues after that.

Well, recently, the same ankle has been acting strange. Sometimes when I go on walks, especially on uneven terrain (rocks, sand, etc.), it will suddenly feel a bit painful and like it has to pop. It is weird because this is a random and inconsistent occurrence, and if I sit down for like 5 minutes the sensation will be gone after that. It never gave me any problems at gym and was not happening often at all, so I ignored it. After a run-of-the-mill day on Wednesday (today is a Saturday, for reference), I went to bed and woke up on Thursday to a pain in my ankle similar to what it felt like recovering from the injury I previously described. It did not get better as the day went on, and may have even gotten worse. It was throbbing in my shoe all day, and by 2 or 3 p.m., I was limping. When I took off my shoe, the skin right under my ankle bone was swollen and painful to the touch. It hurt a lot to walk on it and even if I was just standing for long periods of time. I stayed home from practice to rest. It was significantly better on Friday and significantly better today, but there is still a lump under my ankle bone, and there is still pain if I press on the area, point it to hard, etc.

It just baffles me because this literally happened in my sleep. No funny landings, no sickness, no other injuries, and the pain was isolated to that single area. The popping is concerning to me, though. So, I have no idea what's happening, but I do have a few theories:

1. Something to do with my previous injury? They were in the same spot and the pain felt the same.
2. Could something have popped out of place? My ankle was popping and only a small area was inflamed.
3. Could it even be an autoimmune/stress response? I won't elaborate too much, but it would be a reasonable explanation based on my personal circumstances.

Does anyone have any other ideas or have any experiences with getting injured under mysterious circumstances?? If so, what did you do?
Thanks!
Absolutely see a doctor.
And just to satiate your curiosity: it's totaly possible to injure yourself or worsen an injury by moving around in your sleep, that's just bad luck. But all of your thoughts are possible as to what happened and what's going on. It could be nothing, or it could be something that has to be found ASAP to prevent further damage. Even if we were doctors, we'd need to examine your foot in person to know more, so we really can't help you.
But absolutely see a doctor. And don't wait with it either.

See a doctor ASAP. There are a lot of possibilities and its impossible to tell through a screen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back