Parents Does teacher know?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Committed

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Is it in DDs best interest to tell her teacher that she has a new gym schedule and is adjusting? Or do you just leave it be and keep school and gym separate?

If it matters, DD has no problems completing school work and is very bright. However, her forgetfulness is hitting an all time high and almost had recess detention because of it.

Thanks in advance!

I would let the teacher know. She may be noticing things and wondering what is going on. You don't need to go into great depth, but by opening the lines of communication, you make the teacher more likely to share any adjustment issues she notices.

I've found keeping her teachers informed is very helpful, and they are almost always very supportive of anything gymnastics. And vice versa. If there is something going on outside of the gym that might affect her gymnastics, we let the coaches know.

Absolutely let the teachers know, and as FTT says, keep the coaches in the loop if something's going on outisde of the gym. We generally let the teachers know about our son's and daughter's gymnastics schedule at the beginning of the year, because a kid saying "I do gymnastics" to a teacher who's getting to know her/him does not typically convey, "I'm in the gym three or four week nights until after 9 PM and I practice 16+ hours a week." We don't ask for any kind of special accommodation, but it does help to lay the groundwork for their interest in knowing their homework schedule in advance so they can plan better.

I would send an email, but I wouldn't phrase it as an excuse. I'd say something like "Suzie has a new schedule at gym, and we think she'll adapt just fine, but if you notice it causing her any trouble, please let us know and we'll work with her on it." That tells the teacher you're on her side, rather than sending in an excuse, which may create a different impression.

Yes, as much as possible I let school know what's going on at the gym and vice-versa. As much as I wish it wasn't the case, her teachers and her coaches see her more than I do, so they often see issues before I do. Also, I always make sure to tell the teachers that they need to let me know right away if DD starts falling behind in her school work... NOT to wait till it becomes a huge issue.

Thanks everyone. I have a p/t conference this morning and whether or not to bring it up.

Also, I always make sure to tell the teachers that they need to let me know right away if DD starts falling behind in her school work... NOT to wait till it becomes a huge issue.
On that front, we're fortunate that the school board has a web portal where we can log in and see all grades at any time (as long as the teacher doesn't go weeks without entering grades). The girls actually log in themselves and check their grades incessantly, which is probably a good sign.

On that front, we're fortunate that the school board has a web portal where we can log in and see all grades at any time (as long as the teacher doesn't go weeks without entering grades). The girls actually log in themselves and check their grades incessantly, which is probably a good sign.
If DD went to the public school, we'd have that too, but she goes to a charter school which doesn't, but is small enough that it is easy to touch base with the teacher. So far it hasn't been a problem. She is a master of time-management, which impresses the heck out of me because I can guarantee that nobody has ever said that about me! ;)

DD's teacher knows, but we don't really make a big deal of it. I kind of want to keep my cards close to my chest on this one, ykwim? If down the line I need to ask for help with her schedule or something "special" I want to have had a history of being a great, involved parent with a high performing great student who has never asked for anything at all. I feel like they would work with us more in that situation. ;)
Anyway, this year her teacher knows (all the kids and faculty do- she goes to a tiny private school) and has brought it up to me a few times. I discovered that she has a niece who is a level 8 gymnast so she is very well versed and has been helpful in sending me homework early (Sunday night for the week) on her own so that DD can stay ahead of the game during the week. (I never asked her to do this, she did it on her own b/c she said she knew DD had gym 3+ hours every day after school and she understood how hard it could be for a 7/8 year old!)

DD teacher knows as well. I actually occasionally send her meet videos. As she is very interested in what the kids do outside of school.

We are also very involved parents and the teachers know we are just a phone call or email away.

I would give her a friendly email just letting her know that your DDs schedule has changed and to please let you know if she notices that if your DD is struggling at all while she adjusts to the new hours.

My DD's teacher this year is not a fan about how much school DD misses for gymnastics. She has missed about 6 days. But she did admit at PT conferences last week that she is impressed that DD has never missed an assignment and never seems to be over tired from all the traveling this season. But even with her not being overly supportive she still likes to be informed of any changes to DD's schedule so that she is aware :)

I would definitely tell the teacher (I'm a teacher, too :-)
That being said, I think it also depends on the age of your child and your goals in telling the teacher.

In the district where I teach and in my daughter's district, there isn't much HW in grades K-3. Maybe 1/2 hour at most/night.

It depends teacher by teacher if they send a packet home on Mon or not. Some things are hard to change.

However as kids get to the older grades there is more HW and it can be a challenge. I think this is where so many gymnasts have learned how to manage their time....

My daughter is now in HS. Starting in Middle School, if she knew a meet was coming up, she would plan ahead to get work done. On a few occcasions, it meant asking teachers for work ahead and explaining why. They were always willing to help.

In fact this weekend is a meet and she has already finished the HW due on Monday.

All that being said, if you are more concerned about your daughter's emotional behavior (as in, she's tired with more/later hours) that is also so important to let teachers know about!

I give my Dd's teachers very little info on DD's schedule. If she were struggling at school, not completing her work/homework, or I was getting reports of her being tired or distracted during the day I would, but, if everything is fine at school-- don't rock the boat.

In the 4+ years DD has competed I think only one teacher has taken even a slight interest in what she does- at her prompting we sent her a few videos of DD and she shared them with the class (with DD's permission). Other than that, her teachers know she does competitive gymnastics and that's about it.

Is it in DDs best interest to tell her teacher that she has a new gym schedule and is adjusting? Or do you just leave it be and keep school and gym separate?

If it matters, DD has no problems completing school work and is very bright. However, her forgetfulness is hitting an all time high and almost had recess detention because of it.

Thanks in advance!

wow, that form of punishment must be very productive (dunno is putting on the best facetious face that he can). :)

Ugh... we have recess detention here too for incomplete homework and/or misbehavior. I think it's counterproductive, especially for misbehavior. What misbehaving kids need most of all is to blow off steam and get some fresh air and sunshine during the day! Sorry to go OT, but I feel strongly that recess detention is stupid!!!

As a teacher I always want to know if there is a change to schedule, family...It just helps me to get to know kids and understand if a sudden problem appears.

My middle school DD won't tell her teachers anything about her gymnastics. So I make it a point to let them know what is going on and why she may miss classes. I stress that school work must be done and that she will talk them about assignments when she knows that she'll be out. I've found the teachers to be extremely receptive and helpful especially when rescheduling tests when she misses as those are usually on Fridays when she has to travel for meets.

Even when she was in elementary school I would mention it so that the teachers would understand if she missed a day or two or needed some additional time for an assignment.

This year its not been that much of an issue as my dd goes to a High Performance School that caters to athletes.
But in previous years. I told the teacher what her schedule was, when she had time to do homework, when her meets were. We gave her as much information as possible so she was informed. That way if she was tired in class one day she would know why. Her school in the past was so accommodating and supportive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back