Coaches Fear!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello fellow coaches out there. Right now I am currently writing a paper on overcoming fears in sports. I just wanted to know what everyone does when they have a gymnast who is afraid of something. How do you break the skill down, what techniques, advice, punishment, encouragement do you give? What techniques seem to be most effective? Do any of your gyms have a sport psychologist? Feel free to elaborate!!
Thank you all so much!

My best approach is to ask them if I seem to care about them, and their safety. Do I seem to be a responsible adult who feels the responsibility of taking care of them? Is there any advantage for me to have them doing anything risky that is likely to lead to an injury? Do I seem to be the kind of adult who would do everything in my power to keep them safe?

Asking those questions usually provokes them to think about my role as a protector, as well as a coach. They generally conclude that I've got a reputation as a responsible, productive coach, and that in addition to caring about them (the kids) I want to keep that reputation in-tact.

Ultimately they come to understand that I'm unwilling to participate in any of their dreams, or nightmares that may lead to injury.

It doesn't solve every problem, but it helps more often than not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back