WAG First or Last up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

OzZee

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I'm sure I read a thread on this but can't find it.

Do you think its best to be first up at a competition or last, or somewhere in between?

Depends on the kid and the situation. Probably best of the coach to rotate through who is where in the line up so they get used to competing at different times.

I agree ..It depends on the gymnast. I had a great gymnast that I always led beam with. She was confident, consistent, loved that event and scored well. Mom was not happy that Suzie went first and had Dad question it constantly. However this position was where Suzie felt and did her best. I finally called Suzie over infront of Dad and asked.. "Why do you go First"? She answered without hesitation. " The longer I wait the harder it gets, I always ask to go first.. Dad walked away mumbling that his wife set him up

My daughter prefers to go first. She says if one of her friends falls then she worries she will fall but if she goes first, she doesn't have to worry about it.

My DD prefers (and I prefer) going first. If someone falls before her, they all seem to go like dominoes, but she generally still doesn't fall, just makes her worry about it more. But the coaches rotate the girls going first on each event, one is never first all the time. And it usually has something to do with bar settings? And as far as going last, ugh, my nerves can't take it!!! Lol

Sadly, in my opinion, scores tend to inflate, just 20 years of observation. So, weaker kids go first. It's like the dancing thing where they have the pyramid, I put them in order of how they finished on each event at their last meet. Takes the pressure off of me and allows them the opportunity to move up or down. It has worked very good for me for the past many years. Everyone understands it and seems to appreciate it. No favoritism or other accusations either. ;) The only exceptions are if I have a girl that gets really nervous waiting and wants to go first. Several times I've had girls whose relative is sick or just died, and they are wanting to do well for them, so I will put her up last to give her the best chance at doing well for her loved one. That is one of the reasons I like large meets where they do a 'draw', and they set the order for you. I believe it is the fairest method and should be done at all meets.
As for watching their teammates and getting nervous, my girls aren't allowed to watch other girls on bars and beam, as nothing good ever comes from it. I just have them sit there and visualize their routines. :)

Certainly, as stated above depends on the gymnast. But I like gymsanity's method. My daughter was either always last or second to the last. If the rotation goes quickly, she's fine. But if it is a large rotation and goes slowly, she does not do as well. Her muscles are no longer warm. Her mind starts to wonder and lose focus. She's the type of gymnast that takes longer to warm up. At the end of practice, when everyone is exhausted, is usually when I see her perform beautifully because her muscles are so warm and the extensions are great. She can do cold sets fine but I personally think it does not look as good. I think competing somewhere towards the second half of the rotation is probably best.

It seems at DD gym it is weakest to strongest on each event. There are exceptions. Girls who get really nervous will go first especially on beam. Bars are done by setting and then weakest to strongest. So she usually went last on beam, toward the beginning on vault and bars and toward the end on floor. Seems to work. HC will also ask preferences sometimes.

My DD does better when going first. Her worst meet last season (States) she went second to the last and did horribly. I think the nervousness of waiting gets to her.

As coaches in our competitions we have no say over who goes first and last. New submit the entries and they return the work order to us. We do to know which apparatus our kids will start on so you can't work it that a gymnast goes first on beam for example even if they do put the kids in the order you give them because they might start on a different apparatus.

Generally the judge will go straight down the list for the first apparatus, them at the second apparatus they will put the kid who was first on the list last and go fro. The 2nd person, the 3rd apparatus will go from The 3rd person and so on.

Not quite what I meant. I remember reading a thread about judging/scoring and being at the beginning or end (not within your clubs rotation but overall) and can't remember what was said.

As coaches in our competitions we have no say over who goes first and last. New submit the entries and they return the work order to us. We do to know which apparatus our kids will start on so you can't work it that a gymnast goes first on beam for example even if they do put the kids in the order you give them because they might start on a different apparatus.

Generally the judge will go straight down the list for the first apparatus, them at the second apparatus they will put the kid who was first on the list last and go fro. The 2nd person, the 3rd apparatus will go from The 3rd person and so on.

Our experience is similar, you never know unless rotation sheet is published ahead of time, and HC doesn't like the girls to know till they get there...too much time to think. As for switching at 2nd event, it is usually the 3rd girl who moves into first and the first 2 girls move into the last 2 places, etc. DD prefers to not be first up on first event, the other spots don't matter to her.

Not quite what I meant. I remember reading a thread about judging/scoring and being at the beginning or end (not within your clubs rotation but overall) and can't remember what was said.

Are you asking if it's better to be in Saturday morning session vs. Sunday evening? I don't know if scores inflate from session to session as they do within a rotation, but I'd love to hear an opinion. Obviously judges are more tired at the last session than the first. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing....

We seem to go to a lot of meets where it's "coach's pick", meaning there are no rotation sheets and order can be determined on the fly by the coach. I prefer the rotation sheet method, as I at least know when DD will be up. As to how the coach decides who is going next, I have yet to figure that one out.

We don't decide the order here. In fact, we receive the order while the gymnasts are warming up during the coach meeting. But the girls are always in the same order (during the same competition), it's just not the same one who's first.

Gymsanity, Thanks that's what I was wondering.

happychaos (sorry can't quote)
Yes, well I was initially thinking within a single session ie to be the first of 100 kids on floor or the last. But the same would apply to the first of several sessions with the same judges or even over a weekend.

Do you think judges score easier or harder or it makes no difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back