Parents Free from the cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tralliam

Proud Parent
Well, my munchkins cast came off yesterday. She is so excited to have her hand back. Bath time last night was full of drama as she was worried she may slip and fall. :rolleyes: Gotta love 7 year old logic.

Headed to the gym tonight we were thinking she may be really hesitant. It certainly started that way with her not wanting to even bridge during warmups. They went to bars first and after about 5 minutes she came scampering out to ask if she could get on. We told her sure, but no spinning. So that was the end of her hesitancy. Her coach double checked with us and she still held her out of a few things but she's back on the horse.

She seemed down after practice. I feel kind of bad for her. Not only is she dealing with coming back from the broken finger, but moving from pre-team to team, tonight was her second practice in this facility (same gym different location). None of her other pre-team friends moved with her. All new faces, new gym, new coach. She was telling us over dinner how much she misses her old coach. :( I know she'll get over it, make new friends, etc. but I just wish this wasn't all happening at the same time.

That's got to be hard for a little girl. Gosh, when the cast first came off my wrist after 8 weeks (I was 17), it felt SO stiff and sore, like it was dangerous to even move. My arm muscles were visibly smaller, and it took 3 weeks after the cast came off before I felt fully normal. It was amazed reading your post that she could do as much as she did on her first day back!! And as for the new team thing, I would bet that in 2 or 3 weeks she will be feeling much more comfortable. Good luck to her!

My DD has a little bit of a rough time every time she gets moved up. She was completely in tears when they moved her from developmental to L3 because she said she would miss her coaches. She even got a little teary on her last day of L3, when she was moving to L4, even though the 3's and 4's at our gym train at the same time (except the 4's are there twice as many days as the 3's), so she still sees them every single day. So I'm sure going to a totally new environment is a little rough. When my daughter got moved into developmental, we faced the same thing. Our gym has two locations, but all the girls teams train at the other location from where she took recreational. She'll adjust, and those team girls get so close to each other and to their coaches. She'll love it!

All good thoughts for your little one. That's a lot of transition all at once! But it's so good that she's back in the gym doing what she loves.

Transitions are tough and transitions after getting a cast off are even worse! Sounds like things actually went great for her first day! I'm sure things will improve from here.

Thanks to all for the good thoughts. I know it will take a few weeks +/- to settle into this group, it's just hard to see her missing her coach. My DD has been a "tester" in the past. When she's in a new situation she likes to see how far she can push you and what she can get away with. I'm hoping she's grown out of this but we'll see once she's cleared to tumble. I'm just as impatient as she is to see her flipping across that floor again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back