Good Elite Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey Chalkbucket!

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that I'm moving from my current gym, school, and house to live in the Bay Area by this next summer. And although I'm not sure, I've decided to start looking at good gyms to go to. Right now, I go to a not-so-competitive gym that does not have opportunities for me to become an elite gymnast (please don't say anything contradicting, I at least want the gym to have the option for me) and I'd like to move to one that does.

I was wondering if any of you chalk dwellers knew about any good elite gyms in the Bay Area of California. I've heard of Marin Elite Gymnastics Academy (MEGA), Bay Aerials, and Airborne, but I'd like to hear about them and other gyms before I have to try out there.

Also, I'll be moving into the level 8 group, and I hope to get my double back on tumble track, bars, and standing tuck on floor before summer.

-Lauren

Not familiar with the gyms in the area, but a few tips in general. I switched from a not so great club to a much better one when I was 14 as a level 7/8. When I got to the new gym they pushed me back to level 6 because I had so much to relearn and fix. So be aware that higher profile gyms sometimes also have higher requirements for level placement and you might not end up in the group you want to be in. Sometimes this doesn't happen, but it is something that you should probably be aware of just in case. Sometimes you might be better off in the long run by going to a gym that isn't on the maps as one of the most notable but continuously produces strong optional level gymnasts.
Also, it's a lot about the coach/gymnast relationship. Sometimes a great gymnast can go to a great gym but not become her absolute best just because the pairing doesn't quite work. What is ideal for one person, isn't always the best for another. So I would say watch their meet results, see if there are other girls your age in your level, maybe see if you can watch these teams at some meets, and research the programs as much as you can. When you do end up moving, take some time to have a few training sessions at each gym to find where you are most comfortable.

Coach Molly is right on the money regarding what level you may end up competing at the higher profiles gyms. Flipper recently made a move to a much more prestigious gym from a gym that was wonderful, but certainly not nearly as competitive. We've also watched other kids flock to the new gym - it is the one to attend in our area if you want to get college scholarships and have a chance of going elite. The vast majority of girls who switch are moved back at least one level - but take heart - there are exceptions!

I also agree that it is even more important that you find a gym where you feel at home, happy and confident. Most gyms will let you attend or observe classes. It is also a great idea to attend a meet and watch the interaction between the gymnasts and coaches. You might not figure out which gym you want to attend by watching at a meet, but you will probably get a pretty good idea of which gyms you want to avoid. Best of luck as you make the transition!

It seems like that's a fairly large geographic area so where you go might depend on the gyms that are closest. I'm sure there are tons of good programs all over. Personally I would figure out the closest ones and when you move plan to try a practice before committing. Also understand that even when gyms have an elite program they usually train in a different track than the JO program (separate practices sometimes, etc), and usually switching from the JO track program into the elite track is difficult. Since you are not coming from an elite track program you would probably be placed in the JO track program. But either way the best thing to do is to try a practice or have an evaluation to get the program's assessment of where you would be placed, and then look at the options and see which is the best fit.

Thanks for the quick replies, but my mom has decided not to move.
That's good for me, because my coaches have made it clear to keep me moving on into the next levels after this season is finished.
Also, my coach said that he'll teach me double backs over the summer! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back