Parents Gym changes and friendships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

wallflower

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Since we are in the midst of the gym changing season around our parts of town it made me think about maintaining friendships with those that leave or those that stayed when you left. I'm speaking more parental friendships, but kids as well. What have your experiences been?

I am finding that the people who I had more than gym in common with are still people I talk to. The ones who our friendship centered around the gym haven't stayed in touch. Same with my kids' friends from the old gym.

I have stayed friends with some of the moms that left our gym last year. We saw them at one meet and I sat with them. They made some comments though that have made me reevaluate my future contact with them and I have not spoken with them since. It was hard for me to deal with and I am going to be more careful in the future. Not that I can pick my friends so much, but let's just say it goes a lot better if I am friends with parents whose children are not my dd's age. Then they don't directly compete against each other and we can all be truly happy for the other person's children.

Many parents/gymnasts have come and gone through the years. While most I keep a distant friendship with (say hi when you meet up at meets and an occasional text or FB message), one of my best friends switched gyms more than 4yrs ago. I've found that she gives me a more rounded view of what's going on. Say, if I'm frustrated with how something at my dd's gym is going....she's "knows" where I'm coming from and what's upsetting me because she's been at my dd's gym.....but she also has an outside perspective to give. I can do the same for her (even though we haven't been at their gym...I can give a different point of view for her). Our girls are all within a few years and are the same levels. We are good for each other I think.

For a friendship to last through gym changes, BOTH parties have to want to keep the friendship. If a switch occurs, both parents have see past a possible rivalry (if the gym switched to is close by....it can be tough).

There are other parents who've left that quite frankly, they were never my friend when our kids were on the same team...why would I seek to make a friendship now after they've left?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back