Parents Gymnast wanting to cheer ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter just started middle school and is thinking about trying out for cheerleading . She has never done cheer before and I'm wondering if she really has an interest or is feeling peer pressure from friends who know she can tumble . I'm not sure of the time commitment yet .
This will be her first year as a level 9 gymnast and trains 21 hours per week . I am concerned about the impact on her body with tumbling on a hard surface as well as overbooking herself . Any girls out there who do both gymnastics and cheer ?? I know her head coach is not going to be happy ...
I want to support her in whatever she does but I have concerns ...

When my DD went into middle school she did cheer the first 2 years, now in 8th grade she chooses to only do gym. However, the cheer program at her middle school was very lackluster and was not a huge time commitment anyway. She was a tumbler for the squad (she did not trust anyone to lift her so flying was NOT an option!!). She always wore her tiger paws when she tumbled and she never did back tucks or layouts. She was limited to ROBHS.
She does plan to do high school cheer but we'll see. My DD is at L7 right now and training 16 hours a week.

Most school teams do not require them to do advanced tumbling so I wouldn't worry too much about that part. My niece is an all star cheerleader and has advanced tumbling but she does not do anything more than a tuck on her school team. And really she doesn't even have to do the tuck if she doesn't want to. It's whether she has enough time to juggle it all. Did she find out how many hours the school team practices?

I found out they practice 2 days a week until 3:15 , which we could probably swing but then the games are Mondays and Fridays until 5:30 which are 2 of her training days. She goes to the gym 3:15-7:15 .

We talked about it a little more last night . She doesnt want to miss that much gym practice esp during meet season . She has been asking to take a dance class so we are going to look into that to do on her day off .

I feel bad sometimes that she has to sacrifice so much for gymnastics but she is so passionate about it !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back