WAG How can I avoid this

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
Okay, so before christmas I was injured for 2 months that meant no weight bearing on my arms for 2 months and no arm above head for 3 -4 weeks (subluxed shoulder) and by the time I get back I will have been away for a month. So essentially I have had 3 months of very limited gymnastics. I now face the thought of going back and getting back into all my skills.

Trouble is, I'm terrified to do a flic or at least I think I am. I know I won't be doing a flic on beam as my shoulder has subluxed twice doing that skill - my shoulders are extremely hypermobile and apparently don't cope very well with the force through my shoulders with my hands so close together. However, I am worried about being scared of flics on floor. I'm not scared to do the flic i'm scared to sublux my shoulder again as it means potentially needing surgery and definitely no competitive gymnastics as I am already pushing it with university and won't get enough skills for level 7 even if i continued post injury.

So the question is, whats the best way to avoid a fear?

You don't want to avoid fear, fear is a good thing. It keeps you alive and safe everyday.

You need to learn to control and work with your fear.

write a list of every possible stage of the skill you can imagine, from just doing a flic on trampoline to doing it I spotted on the high beam. There are literally hundreds of possibilities using different height beams, mats around the beam, mats over the beam, spot and so on.

then decide where you feel safe on the list and do that drill over and over until you feel confortable to move on. Every time fear starts to get in the way, drop back a step until your mind feels ready to move on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back