WAG How do you get better at pull-ups?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Flyaway

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Dd is 7, L3 and can barely muscle out one pull up at the end of a practice. They do them every practice but she only goes twice a week and that just doesn't seem to be enough to improve. We have a pull up bar at home. What should she be doing in order to see improvement in this area? I had asked awhile ago about shoulder flexibility (pertaining to her bridges) and I wonder if it's more a strength issue?

Get a set of pull-up bands and have her gradually reduce the strength of the band until she can do them unassisted.

Negative work is a good idea! What exactly is a pull up band?

They are basically giant elastic rubber bands that attach to the bar, and they come in different strengths. You can find them on Amazon, look for muscle up or Crossfit Bands. Our girls use them every once in awhile if they have muscle ups in their conditioning and can't do one alone.

You can also pick them up at walmart or any sporting goods store. It's my understanding that pre-pubescent kids should not do any conditioning that emphasizes the eccentric phase of the movement (which is what a negative pull-up does). I save that type of conditioning (which is excellent) for my teenage gymnasts for safety reasons.

It's my understanding that pre-pubescent kids should not do any conditioning that emphasizes the eccentric phase of the movement (which is what a negative pull-up does). I save that type of conditioning (which is excellent) for my teenage gymnasts for safety reasons.
Can you please explain this in more detail? I have never heard this before, and frankly, I cannot see how it would be bad for a person of any age. Eccentric, concentric, and isometric muscle contractions are necessary for gymnastics, as well as everyday movement in general. Do you have a source for this information? I have my girls do a couple exercises in their conditioning that involve negatives. If it is an actual fact they are bad for young children, I definitely need to know about it! I don't want them getting injured!

It's not that you would not do any eccentric phase conditioning, it's that you would not emphasize that phase. So if a pre-pub gymnast can do a pull-up, then they can safely come down from the pull-up at the same rate as they pulled up (up on 2 counts, down on 2 counts). The OP's gymnast can't yet do a pull-up, so they would only be able to emphasize the eccentric phase. A post-pub pull-up might come up on a 2 count, come down on a 4 count (emphasis on the eccentric phase). I learned this from Dr. Nassar's conditioning book: Conditioning and Peaking the Junior Olympic Gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back