Parents how to ask??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

pnwmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
my 7 dd has been going to gym consistently since about Jan, shes worked her little tail off and is now in L3, she wants to compete. BAD. I originally told her once she got to L3 we could see about joining the team..I honestly thought it would take her longer to get there, anyways, to the question..How do I go about asking her current coach about the path to team, skill wise I dont think shes there yet..but maybe she is?? I dont know, how do I let them know this is her goal without it sounding like its my goal, I dont want to come across as one of those moms, but I also want them to take her seriously and get us on the right track

I'm a little confused... L3 is one of the lower JO (=team) levels.... Or are you referring to something else, like L3 is one of your recreational levels in your gym..?
As far as checking out what skills would be needed, you can look on USAG to see what skills L3 (JO team) would need. In lots of places this is the first level they will compete, but in some places they have the girls compete L1-2 as well.
At our gym, to make it to "pre-team" you would need a minimum of back hip circle on bars, a nice handstand hold, good cartwheel, able to climb the rope and do a couple of leg lifts.
To make it to L3 team you would need to be very close to back handspring and back walkover on floor, front hip circle on bars and be comfortable on the high beam.

Sorry, should have been more clear, she is in girl rec 3. She can do consistent back hip circles, great handstands,cartwheels on beam, FHS on floor, back walkover on floor, she is just starting to work on BHS...I wouldn't say shes comfortable on beam..but shes ok.. so what do I do??? how do I bring this up.

I would just ask what they path is for girls getting on the team. Id there a try out, need to be in a specific class. Some times you just have to let the staff know that you are interested.

I agree, let them know your DD is interested. Just ask the team coach. Let us know how it turns out . :)

okay, I'll ask at next weeks practice! let you know how it goes..

Don't be afraid to be your daughter's voice with things like that for fear of being labeled CGM. It takes a lot more than asking about team to make you crazy. Good luck with your daughter's goals!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back