WAG I am overreacting or seriously CGP?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
So 2 part question firstly yesterday one of my teammates had a bad fall ( I am being vague on purpose) it was a move that I have also fallen on and hurt myself bad and has taken me 2 years to kind of get back. Now that I saw her hurt herself like 2 feet from me and heard the snap of her breaking bone I am seriously traumatised more than even she is and I am afraid to ever do it again and I have to it is essential. I know it sounds so dumb because it was HER that did it, not me. But I don't know how to get over it now because falling like that is my worst fear about the skill.

Also I am curious for thoughts on if her gym parent is crazy. Firstly he watches her all the time, takes notes and reviews them with her after practice. She is an older gymnast not a little kid. After she fell and blacked out as well he finally sauntered in after being asked. Just said "you ok" she replied she though something was broken to which he replied "if that is all I think you can fishing this practice, now get up and do some more stuff" :eek: btw this wasn't a boo boo, she is not a whiner it was serious. He finally relented when she blacked out again and had to be convinced to let her go to the hospital.

Everyone I have talked to just kind of looked at me funny and changed the subject which makes me think either I am the crazy one and that is a completely normal situation which is why I am asking about it here or that there is something fishy going on because the girl is fearless (like completely) and talented and I know that our coach has great aspirations for her to go elite and all that so making if you are in that field breaking your body and then going on is normal where as if you are not in that field it is cool to call it a day?

Thoughts?

No...I don't think you're being unreasonable to think it's crazy that someone would suggest that their child finish practice on a broken limb! If her CGP is like you describe, maybe others find it uncomfortable and just don't want to comment/get involved, hence the blank stares. That being said, I hope she heals quickly there is no long term damage. :(

If I was the kid, I woulda gave him the "social salute."

If I was the coach, I would have been tempted to slap the heck out of him besides telling him to take your kid to the hospital now besides kicking her off the floor.

Dad is nuts.

Yeah, the girls gym daddy is crazy, at best, based upon your account of the events. The thing is, there's nothing good to come from your asking your team mates if they agree with your point of view. It would be better to just leave it alone unless the girl in question starts talking about her CGD in hopes of finding a sympathetic shoulder to cry on.

So onto the trauma factor.....

You must have a sense, by now, that an injury can happen on just about any skill in ways that puzzle everyone. Like, "How did that happen." I think most of these happen during brief lapses of concentration, and a very few just happen with no cause. There's a big difference between that and injuries that happen while training a new skill, because those usually happen in spite of total concentration and safety precautions.

Your salvation lies in your ability to determine that you've experienced enough numbers, have controlled those numbers, and are improving to the point of knowing exactly how to put together a successful attempt. If you get to and past that point, you have to decide to maintain your physical preparation with flexibility and strength work, proper nutrition, and adequate rest. Continue your quest by forcing out every distraction, and remind yourself every day that the fun stuff stops the moment you step up to any piece of equipment to do a skill...... no matter how basic and safe it's been in the past.

The way I see it, there's no way you can control every ounce of your body and it's parts, but I also think much of that task is absorbed by all the gymnastics background accumulated through your past experiences. That's why you don't have to remember to hold your hands in the correct position as they contact the floor during a back handspring..... it just happens. What I think happens, with some injuries, is that the "just happens" process is disrupted when you have something unrelated to the skill going on in your head, possibly the result of some playful chatter taking place as you start the skill.

Work that way, and you have a pretty good chance of keeping safe on all your skills.

To the OP,
Every athlete has self doubt, could be a quarterback questioning his ability to not throw an interception or a goalie doubting him/her self after giving up a series of goals. But in some sports self doubt has a different meaning because the consequences are not failure but potential harm. Gymnasts, boxers, MMA fighter, for example, have a high degree of self doubt because of the injury factor. This is NORMAL. And learning to work WITH self doubt takes work and self understanding to lessen it. I think Iwannacoach hit the nail on the head with what you need to do to help yourself through this.
Numbers numbers numbers and focus. Ultimately desire and hard work will overcome anything. Hope that helps...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back