Parents I knew I wasn't crazy

• Thread starter Thread starter NGL780309
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
N

NGL780309

I usually have very good instincts when something seems strange to me. I posted about how a L4 gymnast had been rewarded as the performance of the year and how a Level 10 who had done in my mind much more, was left out. It seemed odd to me how such a big deal was made out of a L4 and the gym acted like making NIT and winning an event at L10 regionals and state wasn't a big deal. It was barely mentioned.

So I went to the gym yesterday and come to find out the L10 gymnast was leaving for a nearby elite gym. The coaches already knew, the girl attended the awards thing anyway and had already finished her last day at the gym, but had already purchased her ticket to the dinner and wanted to come. There are a lot of hurt feelings with the coaches and owner because the girl has been there from the beginning. I think that's completely understandable for them to feel hurt, but it explains a lot to me. I guess the girls mother was very close with the owner and coaches also and it's not been a happy parting. 2 level 9's left right after regionals to this same gym so that adds to the hurt feelings also.

I'm sorry for the gym, but hope the girl has found a great place to continue her career. I can see now why they didn't make a big deal out of her accomplishments this year.

The gym owner has to focus on who is in his program. It is difficult at the higher levels because so much time is invested with the girls and therefore I imagine the loss to be personal. Our recent change (I have a lvl 9 dd) had more to do with her perceptions of the pressure than the program. She needed a change. She may be stepping down, but chose a location which would have lvl 10 or even elite (though i don't see this, who knows). What I can say is, change is hard for all parties, gymnasts, parents, and coaches. I would also say that the a lvl 4 represents the gyms future and it was only prudent for the owner to acknowledge her accomplishments. That first year is very challanging, they are young and the rigors of so much time is a lot for a young gymnast. Does your gym have and extensive lvl 10 or elite program? Maybe this is something the owner worked for, and is a measure of his success.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back