WAG I Need advice on Balancing Gymnastics Training and Academic Commitments

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

chitramishra

Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hello,
I am reaching out for advice on supporting my daughter as she balances her passion for gymnastics with her academic pursuits. She's a dedicated Level 8 gymnast who's also starting high school this fall. We’re committed to helping her excel in both areas without feeling overwhelmed.

I'm eager to connect with parents, coaches, or gymnasts who’ve faced similar challenges. I’m particularly interested in:

Time management: How can we effectively juggle intense gymnastics training with a demanding school schedule? What daily or weekly routines have worked for you?
Academic support: Do you have any tips or resources for managing schoolwork while training full-time?
Stress management: How have you helped your gymnast maintain a healthy mental and emotional balance?
Communication: How can we ensure her coaches and teachers understand her commitments and offer necessary support?
I also check this: https://chalkbucket.com/threads/balancing-gymnastics-and-academicsrails But I have not found any solution. Could anyone suggest this? We value her love for gymnastics and want to prioritize her overall well-being. Any insights or personal experiences you can share would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you for your time and support!

I'm a high school student, training 16h/week (4*4). It can get hard to manage especially during junior year, but here's what I've done:
- For homework, I try my best to do it during school. We get 30 mins of a free period almost, and in most of my classes, they aren't teaching for the full time. I use that time to complete as much hw I can.
- sometimes this does mean having to stay up a little late to get everything done/prepare for a test or something. If you're a morning person though, you could also get up a little earlier in the morning. Also most teachers are very willing to understand, so if you know you won't be able turn something in, email early and ask for an extension!
- I know my brother (not in gymnastics) still does his hw on the bus ride home. I'm personally barely on the bus since I go straight to practice after school, so when I am, i like to have fun and socialize (its important!)
- also I have one weekday and weekends off - take advantage of that! Try to get more work done on those days and if possible do something for the next week too. I also use a to do list and schedule my tasks because without it, I tend to procrastinate.
Hope that helped!

Hi,
I totally get your concerns. As an educator and a gymnastics mom the best advice I can offer is: 1. Don’t put too much pressure on her in either area. I promise she’s already feeling the pressure on her own. 2. Make sure she’s getting enough sleep/rest. Teens tend to have erratic sleep schedules but she’ll need it for muscle repair and stress management. 3. Make time for fun stuff (let her hang out with friends or do activities she enjoys, skipping a day or two won’t stunt her gymnastics career). And most importantly 4. Communicate openly with her teachers. Let them know when she’s having a hard time (injury, stress, etc.). Occasionally I have to give my daughter a mental health day (no school or training) to allow her to reset (it’s a reset for me too!) I hope this helps! Best of luck!

I agree with what everyone else said!

To re-iterate what I think is important and add my own two cents:
1. Don't put pressure on her. She probably already puts enough pressure on herself - I know I always did. Make sure to tell her that you are proud of her and that no matter what happens you will always be proud of her.
2. Stay in good communication with her teachers and coaches. Based on your post I'm guessing she'll be taking honors/AP/IB courses. Most teachers at this level are accommodating of athletes, as they understand that students in these courses want to be there and want to learn, and the teachers will do everything they can to help these students.
3. Make sure she has at least one study hall! My freshman year was my last year in gym, and I don't think I would've made it through without a study hall. It's a nice break in the day and you can get some good homework done too!
4. In some states (idk where you are so it could be different for you), you can get a gym exemption if you can prove that you are getting adequate physical activity outside of school. Look into this.
5. If you will need to miss school for practice and/or competitions, make sure you get the schoolwork AHEAD of time so it can be done in the car or during downtime between events.
6. Sleep sleep sleep. At least 8 hours a night. Preferably in bed by 10 or 11 each night and not up before about 6. Put screens away an hour before bed time, and if you can't do this, invest in blue light glasses.
7. To go along with the last one, fuel properly. Whether that means bringing extra snacks to school, eating during passing periods, eating on the bus, in the car, etc. In high school most teachers are pretty chill about eating in class so long as it's nut-free and doesn't make a lot of noise or a huge mess. The one caveat to this is labs. During science labs food is absolutely not allowed. If she struggles with eating in the morning, smoothies with protein powder are great! They are also great in an insulated cup during the school day!

For my DD it was a very challenging experience that she was not ready for.

If you don't have one already it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a mental health professional in mind if not someone that your DD meets with occasionally before you really need them.

For us she internalized all the stress (there was a lot of it), school, gym, and social was just exponentially more demanding and not something she was ready for. It got to her and she was afraid to ask for help.

The big thing is she won't have enough time to do it all and will always feel like she is letting someone down because she can't be there for everything. The social stuff is just as important as the school and gym stuff so make sure she is making time for friendships and relationships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

The Shaposhnikova Skills in the 2025-28 CoP

Back