Off Topic Icelandic Yule Lads

• Thread starter Thread starter gymnasticcoach
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
G

gymnasticcoach

Stekkjastaur--Sheep-Cote Clod--Harasses sheep, but is impaired by stiff legs--arrives Dec 12--Departs Dec 25

Giljagaur--Gully Gawk--Hides in gullies, waiting for an opportunity to sneak into the cowshed and steal milk--arrives Dec 13--departs Dec 26

Stúfur--Stubby--Abnormailly short. Steals pans to eat the crust left on them--arrives Dec 14--departs Dec 27

Þvörusleikir--Spoon Licker--Steals Þv0rur (a type of wooden spoon with a long handle - I.þvara) to lick. He is extrememly thin due to malnutrition--arrives Dec 15--departs Dec 28

Pottaskefill--Pot Scraper--Steals leftovers from pots--arrives Dec 16--departs Dec 29

Askaskeikir--Bowl Licker--Hides under beds waiting for someone to put down their 'askur' ( a type of bowl with a lid used instead of dishes), which he then steals--arrives Dec 17--departs Dec 30

Hurðaskellir--Door Slammer--Likes to slam doors, especially during the night--arrives Dec 18--departs Dec 31

Skyrgámur--Skyr Gobbler--a Yule Lad with an affinity for Skyr--arrives Dec 20--departs January 01

Bjúgnakrækir--Sausage Swiper--Would hide in the rafter and snatch sausages that were being smoked--arrives Dec 20--departs January 02

Gluggagægir--Window Peeper--A voyuer who would look through windows in search of things to steal--arrive Dec 21--departs January 03

Gáttaþefur--Door-Sniffer--has an abnormally large nose and an accute sense of smell which he uses to locate laugabrauð--arrives Dec 22--departs January 04

Ketkókur--Meat Hook--Uses a hook to steal meat--arrives Dec 23--departs January 05

Kertasníkir--Candle Beggar--Follows children in order to steal their candles (which in those days was made of drepping and thus edible)--arrives Dec 24--departs January 06

Am I reading the first one the wrong way??? Should I delete it??? OMG

first yule lad

Stekkjarstaur or Sheep Worrier, the first yule lad to make his journey down from the mountains on the 12th of December. this thirsty lad adores ewes´milk, much to the consternation of the poor sheep.

This is how it is explained in english...next is the Icelandic

Þetta er hann Stekkjarstaur. Hann er fyrsti jólasveinninn og kemur till byggða ofan úr fjöllum 12. desember. Hann er mikill myólkursvelgur og situr um að sjúga kindur eða kýr

Don

It doesn't get any better does it.

Last edited:
gymnasticcoach is giving us a lesson on holiday traditions in Iceland.

I guess I'm missing something then. :confused:

In the other post:
Iceland is full of old traditions concerning the Christmas period and some of them are native to Iceland. For example there are no fewer than 13 Icelandic Santa Clauses, called jólasfveinar (Yuletide Lads; singular : jólasveinn). Their parents are trolls and their names are Grýla, a mean old woman who drags off naughty children and cooks them, and the husband Leppalúði who is not as mean.

From the descriptions of Yule Lads in this post... (all the AKA Santa Clauses) it would seem that they are all criminals of some sort.

I'm lost at when or why anyone would want to celebrate trolls that steal and pillage and cook young children?

When does religion come into it? Forgiveness?

Last edited:
These traditions probably predate Christianity. They do seem rather gross but kids love that sort of thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News