Parents If your gymmie is not progressing as fast as they could...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I'm new here, so I hope this is the right forum. We got a new HC last year and this is the second competition season with him. Last year, I think it was just treading water to get through the season and now he can execute his vision.

My DD is 10 and competed old L4 and is slated to do new L4 this year. She came to the gym out of an older gym and made it straight onto the comp. team. She had outstanding scores last year.

But she is getting bored and frustrated and I'm getting frustrated too. HC made a big deal over gymnastics not having a linear progression, people aren't promoted in groups, yet that's exactly what's happening. They wanted certain girls to have privates in the spring to work on optional skills, and when I expressed my concerns, I was told privately by HC and L4 coach that DD had a lot of talent, great potential, and "could be at a level 9 or 10 by age 12-13." Okay, but she's 10 and a L4 again (yes, I know, it's actually moving up). She's not allowed to work her front tuck - she's been doing it for about a year into the pit, but they won't even lay down a sting mat for her on the floor. She's not allowed to work on her ROBHSBT - she's the only L4 girl to have it, but she gets maybe 5 minutes of free time at practice. If there is extra time, which there is less of as we approach meet season, they might get to work on higher skills, but they are doing so as one unit, not as individuals. They are not all at the same level, even though they are all L4s. She's also barely allowed to try a BWO on beam - she got a couple of moments to do so at her last practice.

The privates she had in the spring did not continue over the summer, and practice of those skills was not in the forefront as the new routines came out to be learned. I feel like I wasted time and money on those because won't she forget the skills if she's only doing L4 routines now?

I'd appreciate any help or words of wisdom. I want to re-emphasize that she is frustrated - I'm not making this a problem out of thin air.

I think a simple move would be to ask HC for a meeting and to have him? follow up on his original discussion where he talked about her moving towards L9.... And explain to you how he sees that proceeding, the milestones he wants DD to achieve, etc.

It doesn't need to all be in details, but find out what the goal is for the end of this year, and into next. That is a huge jump from L4 to L9 in two or three years....she'd be doing several levels a year and would likely need to be working on L6/7 by the end of this year.

You didn't say that is what you/she wants... Thus I'm assuming you'd be happy with slower (more normal?) progression than that. You need to see if DD's goals and abilities match themselves, and then HC's plans for her.

No opinion...... Just an observation.

If she's 10 years old and training for new L4, she'll be 11 for the new L5, 12 for L7 if were're allowed to skip L6, 13 at L8, and 14 at L9. That all depends on moving easily through new L4 and L5 while preparing skills for L7, because most kids have trouble cruising through L7 and on to L8 if they have little or nothing to start with.

I hope he can coach better than he can add

Oh, her main goal is to score out of L4 this year. She absolutely wants to do more and learn more. She is absolutely nuts for gymnastics. I want her to be able to excel. She's not a prodigy, but she is very good and can do more than new L4.

I agree that you should talk to him. I'd assume that in his plan to have her get to level 9 he intends for her to score out of some levels, or compete fall and spring seasons some.

but talk to the coach. That is the best thing that you can do.

sigh...if only coaches were experts on communication. This seems to be a familiar thread! I agree that asking the coach for clarification is your best way to understand what is going on. However, just a few thoughts based on my experience (sounds like our girls have similar skill sets) First, Our gym has decided not to compete new L5. They will score out and compete new L6 instead. Girls who are ready (Giants, for example) may also skip (score out of) 6 to compete 7. From what I have read here, our plan is not unique. Second, this is the time of year for focusing on skills for upcoming meets in most gyms. The amount of time allowed for "new" skills will increase at our gym as we get into the competitive season. Third, sometimes the preparations for higher level skills may look different than we think. As long as she is getting stronger and perfecting her form and "shapes", it will be easier for her to pick up the new skills when the time comes. DD is dealing with the same frustrations....when they have been pushed to try new skills and are thriving, then told they now have to focus on "lower level" stuff...it is quite simply not as much fun. In our case, it was bar skills that held dd back from new L6...Please see some of the GREAT advice left by others on my last post. Good luck!!!!

Thanks, JoyAvenueMom. I missed your thread! During the last competitive season, they only worked on their current level skills, not one bit of uptraining.

Okay, if I talk to the coach, and I know obviously it needs to be done nicely, I'm not going to be "that parent," am I? I expressed my concerns about the privates skills being lost in the summer and the reply seemed displeased.

I would hope that you have a HC that is willing to sit down and chat. Cause it makes it for a long unhappy year if you can not.
I would ask the coach where you see your gymnast at the end of this year and what he feels her potential is. (granted - no injuries, progresses at same pace, etc).
I am not sure if I would go in and say hey you said she would be L9 by age 13 and its not happening. As something may have changed over the current year that may have slowed down her pace. Maybe she now has a fear on the beam or bars, or something else has happened.
It is definitely possible for a child to skip a couple of levels (not sure if the USA) is different. But my dd completed L2 (age 7), L5 (2 competitions-age 8), L6 (last competition-age-8), L7 (age-9).
Good luck...

In USAG, you cannot skip the following Levels: L4, L5, L7, L8, L9. Your daughter could very well be scoring out of L4 this season and going on to compete L5. The coach just may not have made that clear. From what you say, she has most of the L5 skills, so it is possible that she could also score out of L5 and be competing L6 by the end of the season (or L7 if she has what the gym requires for L7... although L6 is an easier transition to Optional routines).
Definitely talk to the HC... with your gymmie... and see what the plan is and if scoring out is an option.

Okay, so she "could" score out of 4, but then she would be training and competing alone because there are no 5's at the gym right now. I'm pretty sure they want her to do the whole year at L4. Once again, the idea of scoring out of a level was floated out there (possibly a few months after States in Dec.), but I have no idea what to believe anymore. I have to say, I'm disappointed. They also said that it would be risky to bump her up now - I guess they don't want to burn her out? But she lives for the gym.

why would it be risky to bump her up now? Unless they don't think she's ready. Does this gym ever move kids up mid-season? I know our old gym would sometimes mention that as an option, and I don't think it ever happened, once.

I really don't know. Our gym did have one girl score out of old 6 so she could move to new 7 from old 5, but other than that, I don't think anyone else has changed levels mid-season. That said, this is only HC's second comp. season at this gym, though he's been at this successfully for a long time.

New level 4 is very very different from old level 4. The scoring at that level was much tougher, and the skills are much harder. I understand your frustration, but.... 10 - 11 is not an unusual age for this level . In fact, it is probably one of the biggest age groups at this level, so don't be discouraged.

I know your daughter loves gymnastics, but as a friend of mine is fond of saying, what is her goal? Does she want to go elite? If so, then it is reasonable to move through the levels quickly, in order to get to level 10 by 12 years old.

If not, then your DD can pace herself, and move more slowly through the levels, aiming to get to level 10 by 14 or 15 years old (so she can get good exposure if she's aiming for college gymnastics, while not burning out). Otherwise, she's looking at doing JO level 10 for 6 years.

At new level 4, she can perfect her form and work on perfecting basics. Remind her that if she "pays her dues" she will benefit in the long run...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back