WAG Interesting regarding the end of the 10

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I've been planning to get this book for my DD. I think that Simone may come as close as is now possible on vault- she very conceivably could score a perfect E score which would be the new perfect 10 IMO.

Thank you for posting! That was a really interesting read. The new scoring system is so controversial. Some love it, some hate it. I will admit that execution is being sacrificed in a lot of cases for the sake of difficulty. And I wonder when we will hit the ceiling on difficulty, like how much harder skills can you add before you are risking significant life threatening injury to the athlete (in a way they are already facing that risk, but with the greater difficulty adds greater risk.) But then when you sit down and watch Simone Biles, it truly is a WOW, years ago no one could have predicted that it was possible to do some of the skills she seems to do with ease. And I like that being tiny and light isn't as favorable anymore, these gymnasts have to eat good and healthy (but calorie rich) diets in order to sustain the muscle and power required to do some of these new skills. Not that they still aren't small but not to the extreme you saw in years prior. As a matter of fact this new system favors a completely different type of gymnast, a very muscular, powerful one like Simone Biles.

I agree on the difficulty thing. I swear to me a beautiful goofy BWO is a thing of beauty.................................. There is a point where not only should it be challenging but it should be performed well. Of course I think Simone hits that.

Isn't the execution score still based on a "perfect 10"? (I am the first to admit I may have misunderstood how the process works) If so, why can't they simply display it like:

D score: 5.9 (even the most casual viewer could understand the higher the number, the more difficult the routine)

E score: 9.925 (the casual viewer would say, "oh! There's the 10 I remember")

Total score: 15.825 (again, casual viewer can understand the higher the number the better)

What the routine is worth, as well as the deduction could be shown too, but the casual viewer doesn't understand or care about that part as much.

If presented this way, it would be SO much easier to understand.

Isn't the execution score still based on a "perfect 10"? (I am the first to admit I may have misunderstood how the process works) If so, why can't they simply display it like:

D score: 5.9 (even the most casual viewer could understand the higher the number, the more difficult the routine)

E score: 9.925 (the casual viewer would say, "oh! There's the 10 I remember")

Total score: 15.825 (again, casual viewer can understand the higher the number the better)

What the routine is worth, as well as the deduction could be shown too, but the casual viewer doesn't understand or care about that part as much.

If presented this way, it would be SO much easier to understand.

Yes! Exactly. I find handwringing about the loss of the perfect 10 amusing. It's not lost people. It's in the E score.

Yes! Exactly. I find handwringing about the loss of the perfect 10 amusing. It's not lost people. It's in the E score.

But people can't see the E score, so they don't understand it. It's the confusion that creates all of the handwringing. If it was presented in a way that clarified things, I think most, not all, hand wringing would disappear

I asked my husband last night if it was hard to understand.....(he is still in 10.00 land with DD). He said no, not at all......one score, E, for the routine itself, (like the 10) and the other tacks on risk and difficulty.....makes sense.
Although our coach is a big advocate for bringing back the 10.00, I dont think it is realistic since a clearly superior routine could receive less of a score than an inferior one. The way they do it now is a lot more mathematically correct. I think.

The casual gymnastic viewer is different from the casual viewer.

As in the folks who watch because it's the Olympics. Otherwise they don't watch gymnastics. They are rooting for their country or somebody they has been trending on the net lately. They might stop to watch an NCAA meet if they are a fan of the college as they are channel surfing. But beyond that they don't follow gymnastics. They follow the Olympics.

That is the viewer this article is speaking about.

For them it's what is the max score you can get and they want it to be for everyone. It's not about the number 10. Pick a number any number. Oh 5o, everyone is shooting for a 50.

Great, so now they know the person who got 49 was the best, the 48 2nd and 47 third. Or the person who got. 50 was "perfect" and the person who got 49.9 was close to perfect.

For me personally watching big skills is great but here is a fluidity to the routines that is lost because those big skills are being set up.

I miss that fluidity. I miss the seamless routine, especially on beam, followed by floor.

Here in the UK when we get the score up on screen we get both the D score and the E score - and then obviously the total. The commentators explain how it works at some point in each session. So non gymnasts can just look for the total, but even my Mum has managed to suss out how the D and E thing works by now :-)

Here in the UK when we get the score up on screen we get both the D score and the E score - and then obviously the total. The commentators explain how it works at some point in each session. So non gymnasts can just look for the total, but even my Mum has managed to suss out how the D and E thing works by now :)

I have seen that a lot here too. It does help a lot. I like knowing the D score too! Amazing how high some gymnasts can get that score...

Reactions: sce
Here in the UK when we get the score up on screen we get both the D score and the E score - and then obviously the total. The commentators explain how it works at some point in each session. So non gymnasts can just look for the total, but even my Mum has managed to suss out how the D and E thing works by now :)

It's really not that complicated. NBC just likes to shroud it in mystery and make a big deal out of it.

If NBC presented it the way they do in the UK, you wouldn't hear anything about it outside of die-hard gymnastics (I'm taking about people who actually understand the ins and outs of the CoP)

Reactions: sce
I actually love the new system - being able to see how much of the score is because they did harder skills and how much is cause they had good technique is great. What's really hard to understand is the older scores where they get something between 9.0 and 9.9 and I have no idea how they came up w/ it. If people think that form is being sacrificed for difficultly, I'd rather them just make the execution deductions higher before they go back to the old system.

I actually like the new system so much, to be honest, I wouldn't hate it if they did a flavor of it in JO optionals. Like at least for L9 and L10. Maybe even L8.

And I definitely think College scoring needs revamped in some way - like every score is somewhere between 9.8 and 9.975 (unless the gymnast falls and then they get a 9.2). It's just crazy how high the scores are and it's hard to understand where they are coming up w/ the differences between the routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back