Parents Is this a real thing?

• Thread starter Thread starter mouey77
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
M

mouey77

I have been a little dismissive of the no bar at home recommendations because I have been thinking how much stuff could my beginning level gymnast even do on the bar. A pull over and back hip circle at most. So she comes home saying that she is doing "mini giants" by herself at the gym. Is this actually a skill? Is this a made up thing? Maybe I need to go to practice and see what she's talking about. And of course now I'm thinking, uh-oh. Scratch the bar at home. Bad idea after all.

Baby giants are a real thing. I assume that's what she's talking about?

Yes. I haven't seen this, but she swears up and down her coach said she did it. Sooo, I will scrap the bar since goodness knows what she will do on it.

i think i posted this somewhere. that is not a baby giant. a baby giant does what you see her do to get in to the swing. but when you come over the top of the rail, you shift your wrists to support and 'catch' the body in a 'plank position' where the hips do not touch the rail...then you lower to support.

if i recall, someone in England said they call this a baby giant over there. doesn't matter where you are. it's a long hang pull over. the distinction is the fact that the hips touch the bar as the body turns over the rail.

That makes a lot more sense. I wouldn't think my DD is strong enough to do a giant. But maybe this with hips on bar^

look at :12 and till the end. the coach is holding this gymnast in the position that defines the baby giant after the swing:

Ah. Yes, I think she thinks it's a baby giant, but I don't think so. Perhaps this will help clear the mystery of the other thread.

That skill is called a long hang pullover, it is a compulsory part of the level 4 WAG bar routine in Australia. So kids are learning this in the level below the level where they do kips and back handsprings.

That skill is called a long hang pullover, it is a compulsory part of the level 4 WAG bar routine in Australia. So kids are learning this in the level below the level where they do kips and back handsprings.

I watched her a little while ago before practice started, and she is doing what the first child did. She is swinging straight up to start, but her hips are on the bar when she goes around. So this makes much more sense. Not a baby giant. She is proud though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back